Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean death threats...

• 08-05-2012 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17987182

I dont really get why NI fans get so upset about Irish people wanting to play for their country instead of playing for the north?

*I dont think this belongs in the footy forum as I think its more about politics than sport

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

He should stay off Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

davet82 wrote: »
    I dont really get why NI fans get so upset about Irish people wanting to play for their country instead of playing for the north?

I think you do.
    ..I think its more about politics than sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Good man to stand up to the bigot scum up North.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

Orange scum being scum. I'm shocked;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I think you do.

i get the politics side but why would they want them to play for 'their' country :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

*I dont think this belongs in the footy forum as I think its more about politics than sport

It means their already sh*t team becomes even sh*tter. They're really going to lose it when Protestant players start going south.

They still use God Save the Queen as an anthem with no intention of changing it and the fans show up with union jacks. So f*ck them

D1stant wrote: »

he probably should but he shouldnt have to

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭shancoduff

D1stant wrote: »

Yeah, he shouldn't have replied the way he did. More a less said "sickened, N.I. aren't in the Euros."

That's not gonna help him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Orange scum being scum. I'm shocked;)

TBH - You are just the flip side of the same coin....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd say it's more of a story if they found someone on twitter that didn't get threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We will never forget Windsor Park, November '93!

God bless you, Alan McLoughlin :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

drquirky wrote: »
    TBH - You are just the flip side of the same coin....

I give not one jot about religion. I'm afraid you don't know me to pass judgement.

I live in 2012, they don't and are a cancer on society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Thank God for that!! On reading the title, I thought terrorists had taken over the Nakatomi Plaza again!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

This whole episode shows just how mired in politics soccer in the north really is. If people were genuinely soccer fans and wanted the best soccer team possible and it was purely about sport everyone would be in favour of an all Ireland team, just like the rugby, cricket, elephant polo etc... It's pure tribalism, these people just want somewhere to go and wave their flag and that's exactly why young nationalist athletes with talent cant wait to get the hell out of the IFA

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

kfallon wrote: »
    We will never forget Windsor Park, November '93!

God bless you, Alan McLoughlin :D

also fair dues to reeling in the years with "the republic does not surrender"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

i get the politics side but why would they want them to play for 'their' country :confused:

So we can't have him.

So we can't have him.

well thats just mean :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ah the ol republican v orangie divide grows ever wider...

I don't actually know, but what side of the line does he fall? If he's on the orangie side it's a bit of a strange choice. If he falls on the green side, it's not such a strange!

In the World Cups of '82 and '86 we all cheered for the North when they qualified, I remember watching the Brazil game in '86 hoping they would get a result (they were hammered 3-0 :p) but we shouted for them as they were our neighbours and wished them well.

When we qualified they didn't care about us and the vitriol and hatred shown to us in Windsor Park in 1993 was something extraordinary. I have to say from that day onwards I have wished the Northern Irish football team nothing but bad luck and I hope they never qualify for another tournament, if only for their fans!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Ah the ol republican v orangie divide grows ever wider...

I don't actually know, but what side of the line does he fall? If he's on the orangie side it's a bit of a strange choice. If he falls on the green side, it's not such a strange!

He is from the Creggan and is a Catholic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

He is from the Creggan and is a Catholic.

Well then that answers it :)... it seems like a logical choice, especially if he doesn't want to have to sing God save the Queen.

Seems in this instance the ones causing the trouble in the orange camp can just grow the fcuk up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

A few years ago they didn't want a catholic near the place. Now they complain that no one will play for them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Football fans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

The "fans" who get this upset and start sending death threats etc are not fans, they are scum and nothing more. They are a small tribalist and bigotted minority that real NI fans, like myself, would love to see purged. This is just about politics to them, not sport.

His reponse did give me a chuckle, even if a little disrepectful :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Football fans :rolleyes:

No ......douchebags.

Big difference.

RachaelVO wrote: »
    Well then that answers it :)... it seems like a logical choice, especially if he doesn't want to have to sing God save the Queen geebag.

Seems in this instance the ones causing the trouble in the orange camp can just grow the fcuk up!

FYP :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Football is da poop!

Watch a real sport like foxy boxing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

In the World Cups of '82 and '86 we all cheered for the North...

No, we didn't all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Can't blame anyone not wanting to play for Northern Ireland. Some of the abuse lumped at players is unreal and you're liable to receive a few death threats for having the wrong religion. Morons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I give not one jot about religion. I'm afraid you don't know me to pass judgement.

I live in 2012, they don't and are a cancer on society.

Who are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

It's great all these reactions by certain elements of the NI fan base.

They still haven't realised it is only driving more and more good players south to play with the ROI.

Fair play lads keep it up.

We could do with a few more good players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Soccer forum thanks.
    Discussed here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78558953

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement