Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying more than the deposit?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,
    I had a party that went totally out of control in my appartment, the responsibility is mine. I may have more damages than my deposit (€300) and would like to know if the landlord can charge me an extra amount for it? If yes, do you think the landlord will sue me to court just for this?
    I am living in a student accommodation and leave it on May, 25th.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Yannus wrote: »
    Hi,
    I had a party that went totally out of control in my appartment, the responsibility is mine. I may have more damages than my deposit (€300) and would like to know if the landlord can charge me an extra amount for it? If yes, do you think the landlord will sue me to court just for this?
    I am living in a student accommodation and leave it on May, 25th.

Thanks.
    Yes, of course the landlord can charge you extra for the damage. It is impossible for anyone to know whether she will sue you. If it is not a lot over the deposit then its unlikely but if it is a good bit over it she might take it further. Did you parents go guarantor on the rental or anything? Really you should take the responsibility and pay what you owe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Fair play to you for taking the rap for it a lot of students would just disappear. If I was you I would clean and fix as much as possible. Replace all the cheaper things and repaint if necessary. The more things that are damaged the faster costs add up and the LL isn't going to shop around for the best price if you're paying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Yannus

Ok thank you. I have another problem. There is a big heater, the cover is a bit damaged and I think that just a piece of scotch (or drill, not dangerous in a corner of a heater?) would be ok and anyway even if it was not fixed, there is no real problem. The landlord told me it would have to be replaced at a cost of....€300!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

The landlord told me it would have to be replaced at a cost of....€300!
    Get someone to quote for fixing it.
    He can't expect to put ridiculous prices on every job and make you stump up whatever he demands.

Ok thank you. I have another problem. There is a big heater, the cover is a bit damaged and I think that just a piece of scotch (or drill, not dangerous in a corner of a heater?) would be ok and anyway even if it was not fixed, there is no real problem. The landlord told me it would have to be replaced at a cost of....€300!

If you put up a photo here someone might be able to advise you on that.

Also, remember to take photos of everything before you leave. Otherwise the landlord could decide that he wants a free redecoration at your expense.

• Advertisement

And I am French, so I dont think she will be able to do something when I go back home, will she?

And I am French, so I dont think she will be able to do something when I go back home, will she?

That's true. But she could easily think "he's french so will run off to France. Maybe I will call the guards now and prosecute for criminal damage."

LOL seriously haha. Criminal damages hahaha.
    Actually, I will tell you what I have to do:
    Repaint the wall (but it will be whiter than the rest no?)
    Fix the table (Unsteady but I actually dont know where the problem comes from)
    Replace a cork-screw
    Fix the heater

I think that's it.

But in my room I have a commode broken and the walls need a repaint too.

I dont really think this is criminal damages haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

LOL seriously haha. Criminal damages hahaha.
    Actually, I will tell you what I have to do:
    Repaint the wall (but it will be whiter than the rest no?)
    Fix the table (Unsteady but I actually dont know where the problem comes from)
    Replace a cork-screw
    Fix the heater

I think that's it.

But in my room I have a commode broken and the walls need a repaint too.

I dont really think this is criminal damages haha
    You don't repaint one wall or part of a wall you repaint the room. That's how it works.

Fire could easily cost 300. May even be more if it is older and no longer sold. Go see if you can get a replacement part to save yourself and ll hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Next time be more careful, Its not very nice to come to a different country to improve your education and then destroy the property in which you are staying. And to think it is okay to then run off home and not take responsibility for your wrong doing...your parents must be proud :rolleyes:

as for your actual question yes the LL is entitled to keep the full deposit and take a case against you for the remainder of the damage if it comes to more than your deposit

however the LL must supply you with receipts for all work that is done to make the place back to its condition prior to your destroying it and this does not include general wear and tear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

edellc wrote: »
    Next time be more careful, Its not very to come to a different country to improve your education and then destroy the property in which you are staying. And to think it is okay to then run off home and not take responsibility for your wrong doing...your parents must be proud :rolleyes:
    Rawr, someone wasn't invited :P

Next time be more careful, Its not very nice to come to a different country to improve your education and then destroy the property in which you are staying. And to think it is okay to then run off home and not take responsibility for your wrong doing...your parents must be proud :rolleyes:

as for your actual question yes the LL is entitled to keep the full deposit and take a case against you for the remainder of the damage if it comes to more than your deposit

however the LL must supply you with receipts for all work that is done to make the place back to its condition prior to your destroying it and this does not include general wear and tear
    I am not here to take some lessons but if you want the truth I did not destroy ANYTHING, I was too drunk and already in bed at 9pm. The Irish people I invited DID destroy, and I think I'll ask them to pay a part... So please, don't talk about things you don't even know, that is very disrespectful.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You don't repaint one wall or part of a wall you repaint the room. That's how it works.

Fire could easily cost 300. May even be more if it is older and no longer sold. Go see if you can get a replacement part to save yourself and ll hassle
    WHat do you mean by fire? The heater? But the LL is stupid, a piece of scotch is really enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

already in bed at 9pm. The Irish people I invited DID destroy
    Don't start a house party that you can't finish.

As you were in bed, they could claim that one of "your other friends" that they didn't know came in a did the damage...

Throw up a picture of the damage, and one of the people here may know a quick fix.

For painting the wall, get a roller. It does a better job faster, and uses a LOT less paint.
    There is a big heater, the cover is a bit damaged and I think that just a piece of scotch (or drill, not dangerous in a corner of a heater?) would be ok
    What do you mean by scotch? The drink? The LL does seem to have their heart set on using your deposit for a new heater, though, so you may not get it back regardless :(

/edit
    Scotch = tape ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

WHat do you mean by fire? The heater? But the LL is stupid, a piece of scotch is really enough...

If the heater is actually broken then why should the landlord accept having it repaired with scotch tape?

Thanks for the tips. It was the first and last party in my apartment. Scotch = tape, yes sorry :D

Djimi, it is perfectly working AND nobody actually uses it. The right corner is just dislocated that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Djimi, it is perfectly working AND nobody actually uses it. The right corner is just dislocated that's it.
    Throw up a picture of it. Putting tape on anything is tacky, but if there's a chance that it's fixable someone here may know.

In the end of the day, the LL has the final say, and if they're not happy with it, they can keep your deposit to replace the damaged unit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I am not here to take some lessons but if you want the truth I did not destroy ANYTHING, I was too drunk and already in bed at 9pm. The Irish people I invited DID destroy, and I think I'll ask them to pay a part... So please, don't talk about things you don't even know, that is very disrespectful.

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want to be criticised, and like others said don't start a party you cant finish, regardless of if you fell asleep or not, you are responsible

Don't post on an open forum if you don't want to be criticised, and like others said don't start a party you cant finish, regardless of if you fell asleep or not, you are responsible
    I said in my FIRST POST I take all responsibility in it, but you don't have to say "you don't destroy stuff in a country hosting you, your parents won't be proud" etc...
    I'm here to get some advice and I think most of the people here are nice. But some exceptions are very irritating. I didn't wait for coming here to question what I've done bad that night. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Well to be fair you did say it was your responsibilty, but your posts imply that you are trying to get out of paying for something that was your responsibility!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The fact that noone uses it is irrelevant.

If its just dislocated then it may be fixable, depending on how the damage was caused. I would not be going to the landlord recommending that he fix it with tape or whatever; that is only going to get his back up and make him more likely to land you with a repair charge. There is no way the landlord would or should accept a shoddy repair job/patch up job for something like that.

Advertisement