Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandmothers ghostly story

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I am neither a believer or a skeptic. Im pretty much on the fence as reagrds to the paranormal. But here is a story my grandmother always relayed for anybody who may find it interesting.

My grandmother had 7 children in quick succession, and they lived in council accomadation in an estate in Co Wicklow. My grandfather worked for the council and was known to disappear often with his work money and go to the pub.
    One winters evening when grandad again had gone off with the food money. My poor granny was worried sick. She had 2 babies, no milk or dinner in for the whole family. The youngest baby was sick and hungry. At around 7 in teh evening there was a knock on thedoor. My granny answered it and there was a fisherman selling fish. She said he seemed to have a glow about him on the winters night. She told him she had no money and he said not to worry he would leave her fish for the whole family and he would call back next week for payment. This was highly unusual my granny said, no fisherman had ever previously called in to the house it wasant a usual thing to see. He left her 8 mackarel.
    Anyway she cooked the fish, and all agreed it was the nicest fish they ever had tasted (pob due to them being hungry anyway) and not one of them found a bone in it.
    Next day my granny got talking to her neighbour. She had been in all evening and no fisherman had called to her house. My granny thought no more of it till next week came and the man never returned for payment. She enquired to the other neighbours on her row and they also told her they had never seen a fisherman.
    My granny always maintained that the fisherman was a ghost. and no other than St Peter themself. Who came to her rescue that hungry winters night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im pretty much on teh fence as reagrds to the paranormal.

thats technically a skeptic - which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

I am neither a believer or a skeptic. Im pretty much on the fence as reagrds to the paranormal. But here is a story my grandmother always relayed for anybody who may find it interesting.

My grandmother had 7 children in quick succession, and they lived in council accomadation in an estate in Co Wicklow. My grandfather worked for the council and was known to disappear often with his work money and go to the pub.
    One winters evening when grandad again had gone off with the food money. My poor granny was worried sick. She had 2 babies, no milk or dinner in for the whole family. The youngest baby was sick and hungry. At around 7 in teh evening there was a knock on thedoor. My granny answered it and there was a fisherman selling fish. She said he seemed to have a glow about him on the winters night. She told him she had no money and he said not to worry he would leave her fish for the whole family and he would call back next week for payment. This was highly unusual my granny said, no fisherman had ever previously called in to the house it wasant a usual thing to see. He left her 8 mackarel.
    Anyway she cooked the fish, and all agreed it was the nicest fish they ever had tasted (pob due to them being hungry anyway) and not one of them found a bone in it.
    Next day my granny got talking to her neighbour. She had been in all evening and no fisherman had called to her house. My granny thought no more of it till next week came and the man never returned for payment. She enquired to the other neighbours on her row and they also told her they had never seen a fisherman.
    My granny always maintained that the fisherman was a ghost. and no other than St Peter themself. Who came to her rescue that hungry winters night.

How can a ghost give you real fish?? :rolleyes: sounds a bit weird to me... probably a nice person, who knew and saw of your grandfather in the pub and knew that he was drinking away his kids/wifes food money! He didn't return because he genuinely wanted to help out.

I'm sorry, i am one for being interested and (9/10 times i believe stories/experiences) but this seems a bit fishy (pardon the pun)...

If that's the case, i'd like some money please ghosties... you know where i live!!! (im not mocking you/the story)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

That is a really lovely story op. Thanks for sharing:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

That's a lovely story :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

lisaface wrote: »
    How can a ghost give you real fish?? :rolleyes: sounds a bit weird to me... probably a nice person, who knew and saw of your grandfather in the pub and knew that he was drinking away his kids/wifes food money! He didn't return because he genuinely wanted to help out.

As nice as of a story it is, I complete agree with this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Mackeral are caught from may to late summer, don't think they are caught over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Either your granny was making the story it up, or you're making it up. Or it wasn't a ghost.

Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

omen80 wrote: »
    Either your granny was making the story it up, or you're making it up. Or it wasn't a ghost.

Simple as.

22786852.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,430 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mattjack wrote: »
    Mackeral are caught from may to late summer, don't think they are caught over winter.

Could have been salted,dried,or frozen.

Advertisement