Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go for long weekend near Melbourne?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Can anyone recommend a good spot to go for the long weekend in June, i have been looking up flights but too expensive. Preferably some good weekend spots to head for near melbourne. I could hire a car if it would be worth driving to.
    Not too familiar with places nearer to Melbourne only the big cities and they are far too expensive obviously being too close to the long weekend.
    Any suggestion welcome:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

zweton wrote: »
    Hey,

Can anyone recommend a good spot to go for the long weekend in June, i have been looking up flights but too expensive. Preferably some good weekend spots to head for near melbourne. I could hire a car if it would be worth driving to.
    Not too familiar with places nearer to Melbourne only the big cities and they are far too expensive obviously being too close to the long weekend.
    Any suggestion welcome:)

Mornington Peninsula is meant to be nice for an 'ol getaway. Only an hours drive away as well from the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Head down the Great Ocean Road... Lorne, Apollo Bay... very nice places!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

Hi,

I haven't had any weekend trips near Melbourne but Philip Island is nice for a day trip, Ballarat is a nice place too. We just went for a day and went to sovereign hill which I thought was really good but the weather in June may not be so great and its all outdoors. There seems to be a lot of other things to do around there so you could probably make a weekend of it.

Can anyone suggest some nice places to stay along the GOR, Would rather do it in 2 days so not sure the best area to stop overnight. Will be travelling with a child so if anyone knows somewhere child friendly that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Ok decided im going to rent a car and take a trip to the mornington peninsula, has anyone been? Whats there to do there? I just heard its nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

zweton wrote: »
    Ok decided im going to rent a car and take a trip to the mornington peninsula, has anyone been? Whats there to do there? I just heard its nice :D

Point Nepean National Park is sensational. First nice day you get I'd advise you to spend the day there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

You can go wine tasting around the many vineyards in the hinterland
    And there's http://www.redhillbrewery.com.au/ if you fancy a beer

Cape Schanck is worth a look also

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Lots of great weekends around Melbourne

Phillip island-Penguin Parade, koala reserve, motor circuit where you can do hot laps

Mornington Peninsula- lots of beaches, Port Nepean National Park, Cape Schank Lighthouse, can get the ferry to the peninsula and we saw dolphins swimming by the boat

Great Ocean Road-again beaches, walks, waterfalls, giant glow worms, Cape Otway lighthouse (lots of koalas on road down there), Treetop canopy tour and/or zipline adventure

Ballarat and Sovereign Hill

Bendigo - they have the Grace Kelly exhibition at the moment

Yarra Valley-wine tours, Healesville Sanctuary

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Sorry, just saw you've decided on Mornington Peninsula. I would recommend-
    Ferry over
    Visit Sorrento and try one of their famous vanilla slices (although I was a little disappointed)
    Point Nepean National Park
    Cape Schank and lighthouse, think you can rent out the lightkeepers cottage

Advertisement