Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour Perth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

PurthPaddy wrote: »
    Yes Australia is a great country, but the locals leave a lot to be desired as well.
    Careful Paddy, you are not allowed talk that way about the master race on here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

i read the thread then looked at all the guys i know from my school who are now in oz.im 27 now and we did our leaving cert in 2002.

the lads who are down there are the lads who amounted to nothing here.laboured on sites and drank ****ing every cent and spent their 500 quid a week on whale tail spoilers for their civic.im painting a picture but you get me.

gaa jersey, tacky tattoos,nike air max.............correct

the accountants ,the boys in IT,the lads going in to law and the pharmacists are still here. was out in the local for the bank holiday sunday just gone and one of the lads noticed all the lads who got real good leaving certs and were generally good are still here and all the chancers and chavs have decided to foxtrot oscar.

as another poster pointed out the same lads who tear up playa del ingles and santa pontsa in the celtic tiger summer trips are down there running amok.

the people who like a midweek break in berlin or copenhagen are not!

there a lot of irish down there living properly contributing to the society and behaving properly- most of those people are there a couple of years now. im generalising but the latest influx are not cut from the same cloth.

the reason they go to aus is because they couldnt be arsed learning a new language and choose the point of least resistance coz they were lazy in school/lazy here/and now they are lazy there.theyll milk oz till they are ****ed out and then move on to the next laying hen ,be it canada or new zealand or whatever.

ive a friend in adelaide and he is mortified by the carry on of the irish.

i read this thread often because i used to harbour ambitions to go to new zealand and if you are on this forum i think its indicative that you have an interest in living there properly and are seeking good advice. the people in this forum are good people.

its the clowns who arrive off the plane draped in gaa jersey and eire 32 tattoo and want to head to the shamrock or murphys or whatever identikit irish bar is nearby to get bladdered that are ruining it for every one.

i dont think its an irish thing.

the elephant in the room is its a class thing.

Agree and disagree. I know plenty of well educated middle class people based in Aus, but yeah, you get a lot more people like you described hitting Aus. They wouldn't go to France or Italy or Spain or Germany, as somewhere with another lingo would be a step too far. Saying that I have met people in all of those countries from Ireland who wouldn't be well educated. When you go there you have to learn the language whether you like it or not.
    For some reason, Aus seems to attract these types over other countries. I am sure there is a fair share in England too, but it's as bad drink wise in England as Ireland, and the fact the big cities in the UK are bigger than Aus cities, it doesn't stick out maybe.
    Basically it's the carry on you see in sh*tholes like Magaluf, and Benidorm that is being taken down to Aus.
    The people who did the midweek breaks in Copenhagen and Berlin may well be in Aus too, but they were going to Berlin, not for the sunshine, but for other things.
    I lived in Italy, same climate as Aus, and I went buckape from time to time on the hooch, and the Italians looked at me like I was some kind of freak. I am not a big drinker by nature though, so it wasn't often.
    Italians could never understand how I would go out, and it had to revolve around pints and laying into pints.
    Though I know a fair few Aussies who were well able to drink, maybe they were just used to growing up with certain rules and laws in pubs so were cuter about how they got f**ked up. I bet you find most of the people causing havoc are early 20s....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The Aussie wrote: »
    Well thats a strange reply??? I think you might find that was a response in that rather pointless thread "City Breaks, an area where Australia is lacking" and funnily enough i was talking about short breaks in Australia, so quoting out of context on a different topic to try and justify a link to a page that was just an opinion piece is bit of a long bow to draw, besides how do you think i worked my way up through Africa and ended up living in Cork? Teleportation. hold on thats Travel and im not interested in that:confused:

Yes we all know by now, you tend to mention it fairly regularly.

Thanks for the laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

the elephant in the room is its a class thing.
    Interesting post, but I'd pick you up on one thing: in Ireland, we thankfully don't have a 'class' system. You are the sum of you and your parents' aspirations. I have friends who have both 'working class' and 'middle class' siblings. They all had the same opportunities as their siblings (including, sometimes, private school education) but some of them didn't bother with education and work stocking shelves while their brothers/sisters are highly skilled professionals. And the the way they spend their money on holidays etc. follows along the same lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

The Aussie wrote: »
    04072511 wrote: »
    Mod You two, either drop it and get back on track or don't bother posting - final warning for all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

CiaranC wrote:
    Careful Paddy, you are not allowed talk that way about the master race on here :)
    You now have two choices - drop the sly remarks or create your own thread bitching and moaning about Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I dont know where the blaming the Doormen started from, i personally think thats bit of a cop out, if you have had to much and refused service who's fault is that, it is more responsible of a establishment to say that they think you have had enough, they have a duty of care to you and are exercising it.

If you are of a nature to be violent or aggressive, alcohol is not you friend You drink it, be responsible for your own actions, dont blame someone else for "winding you up" and throwing you out on the streets, legally speaking if you get into trouble who is to blame the drunken tool or the pub/club who exercised a duty of care towards its patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Mate Australia is the same as anywhere, once you work out where all the good places are then it's easier to avoid the nasties. My advice on anyone succeeding in Australia is to remember that it is Australia, geographically it's massive and has huge snakes and creepie crawleys. Its not Ireland in the sun and it's never going to be that way, your best bet is to accept it.

Also make some Aussie friends, avoid asking them 'whats the Craic? they will think you are weird. Use. 'Hows it goin?' instead.

Maybe they will invite you to a Barbie, this is good because because you have now the chance of getting to have a conversation with some of the locals. It is important not to make too much of a d!ck out of yourself because one of the neighbours might be a FIFO mining executive who owns a 25 foot cruiser and he enjoys having a few friends along for a weekend of sport fishing for Tuna and Stripeys. If you come across as a decent sort maybe he will put in a good word for a mining job.

Also the other neighbour has a very attractive 22 year old daughter, she kinda likes your accent as its a bit different. She would love to offer you a day at the beach in her new golf convertible, but she has been reading a lot of negative stuff about the Irish in The Western Australian newspaper. This makes you kinda cringe because your thoughts are of loads of muppets sitting in plastic paddy pubs drinking over priced pints and slapping themselves on the back on how great they are to have emigrated (they are on WHV's btw) and have no decent contacts, know nothing about the city, nothing about the country except drinking the faces of themselves and staying in some overpriced kip cos its 'cool'

But your mind comes back to the thought of the beach and you think, sure I could go out to the pub and make a fool out of myself any day in Ireland and as the old saying goes when in Rome .......and you know the rest.

Really Crack you are the stranger in this town its up to you to make the effort....be positive towards the people who can help you, if you make the effort you never know where it leads or what doors it opens.

But if you get on like some of these other boys on here with their negative Australia bashing sure how are you supposed to get anywhere good with that carryon?

Do you really want to be heading towards loserville?

These guys get all bitter and twisted and then end up posting in AH how horrible Aussies are and they never met any because they stuck to their parish mentality.

I'm dating an Aussie. Have lived here 18 months and in general like the people. Have travelled more of this country than probably 95% of posters here, so get down off your high horse. Just because I'm bringing a bit of balance to things doesnt mean I don't like Australia. Balance is needed to counteract your typical sensationalist moralistic rubbish.

Just reading your post above once again stinks of that holier than thou attitude you tend to portray quite a bit. And once again, another sly dig at the WHV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Further proof that the GAA is the most disgusting organisation in the history of Ireland. Even now its horrible tentacles are strangling Australian society.

I'm dating an Aussie. Have lived here 18 months and in general like the people. Have travelled more of this country than probably 95% of posters here, so get down off your high horse. Just because I'm bringing a bit of balance to things doesnt mean I don't like Australia. Balance is needed to counteract your typical sensationalist moralistic rubbish.

Just reading your post above once again stinks of that holier than thou attitude you tend to portray quite a bit. And once again, another sly dig at the WHV.

Really I was giving some decent tips to another poster, yet you want to bring it down.

And as you remarks towards me personally, just remember you are only a guest in my country.

• Advertisement

Really I was giving some decent tips to another poster, yet you want to bring it down.

And as you remarks towards me personally, just remember you are only a guest in my country.

Your country?

And this doesn't sound like advice, but more a dig at others on this forum who have posted an alternative view:

But if you get on like some of these other boys on here with their negative Australia bashing sure how are you supposed to get anywhere good with that carryon?

Do you really want to be heading towards loserville?

These guys get all bitter and twisted and then end up posting in AH how horrible Aussies are and they never met any because they stuck to their parish mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

are you irish or australian:confused:

you posted ireland is great, then start saying people are guests in your country, which country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Orizio wrote: »
    Further proof that the GAA is the most disgusting organisation in the history of Ireland. Even now its horrible tentacles are strangling Australian society.

No. The Catholic Church gets first prize for that.

dmcronin wrote: »
    No. The Catholic Church gets first prize for that.

The Catholic Church and the GAA are pretty much the same thing.

Your country?

That's right, is there anything wrong with that?

And this doesn't sound like advice, but more a dig at others on this forum who have posted an alternative view:

No more than the digs posted by those with that alternative view.

bladebrew wrote: »
    are you irish or australian:confused:

you posted ireland is great, then start saying people are guests in your country, which country?

No need to be confused have citizenship of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Blaming the GAA and the Catholic church - thats just crazy talk....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

hmm fair enough, i was just curious,

Edit: what this thread needs is some one not from ireland who has lived in perth to comment on what the irish are up to! there was a masssive influx of eastern europeans into ireland during the boom years and a few of them were trouble making drunks, but the gardai didnt comment on it at the time, the irish must be really fecking up the place for the australian police to make such a public comment,

It is a pity to read all this aswell, im 27 and may go to oz in the future, all this makes depressing reading tbh,

Doesn't matter if you have citizenship, you will still always be an Irishperson, whether you like it or not. A piece of paper may say you are Australian, but you are not an Australian. Just like foreigners who gain Japanese citizenship will never truly be seen as Japanese. You have bought and worked your way into the country, but it is not your country. Climb back down off Dawn Run now please.

I can see why you would like to call it your country though. Makes the Irish bashing all the easier.

kippy wrote: »

You act like its a co-incidence that it is always GAA-wearing inbred bogger filth that are tearing up Australian cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Orizio wrote: »
    kippy wrote: »

You act like its a co-incidence that it is always GAA-wearing inbred bogger filth that are tearing up Australian cities.
    When you fallout with GAA bro!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Anybody who has been around any big town/city in Ireland on a friday/Saturday night knows what so many young Irish people are like.

So with tens of thousands of young Irish people coming over with a holiday mindset its no surprising that the mayhem that occurs in Eyre Square, temple bar Is happening in Oz.. In fact its so predicable I don't know why people are so defensive about it.

Maybe the Aussie government should weight up whether its a good idea to make the WHV so accessible? Maybe they should have a similiar scenario which the yanks employ whereby an interview at the embassy is needed to get a visa? Or maybe they should charge more money for it?

Then again alot of backpackers and travellers work here and pay taxes so maybe a little mayhem on the weekends is worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Doesn't matter if you have citizenship, you will still always be an Irishperson, whether you like it or not. A piece of paper may say you are Australian, but you are not an Australian. Just like foreigners who gain Japanese citizenship will never truly be seen as Japanese. You have bought and worked your way into the country, but it is not your country. Climb back down off Dawn Run now please.

I can see why you would like to call it your country though. Makes the Irish bashing all the easier.

If only it was so easy as buying your way in.....

Australians are used to people being born overseas, a lot of them were themselves and came here as children or are children of migrants. Not a single Australian in my community treats me any different because I have a slight accent. They do treat people on WHV though as if they are on holidays with the right to work.

Two things:

1) I am no GAA lover at all, but come on, the GAA causing all these social problems in Australia? Without GAA, Australia wouldn’t have their beloved “footy”. Whether that would be a good thing or not is a different debate, but most people love that sport, so in that regard GAA has had a very positive effect in this nation.

2) Lads, these gah wearing, cock and bull drinking mulchies do not ruin the reputation of Irish people, at least not among any educated, culturally diverse person. I’ve never come across anybody having anything negative to say about me because of my nationality. If somebody is pig ignorant to make a generalisation of 6 million people based on some muppets in Northbridge, and not rent an apartment or give a job to somebody from said nationality, then that says more about the ignorance, intelligence, understanding of the world and life in general, and narrow-mindedness of that person more than anything else. There is no problem with regards the reputation of Irish people here. None at all. This thread is just an excuse for people to vent, and be all anti-Irish to make themselves feel great about themselves that they are now “Australian” and living it large “down under”.

Ireland and Australia are both my countries, Citizenship certificates no different than a birth certificate both pieces of paper. I earned my right to take the oath same as a few other posters on here will do the same, just because you don't like it ...doesn't give the right to claim I bought my way into the country I just followed the rules same as everyone else.

Oh and I'm not Irish bashing at all, just not standing up for these idiots who are giving the Irish a bad name in Perth. How can you call that Irish bashing you either condemn it or condone it.

ellaq wrote: »
    They do treat people on WHV though as if they are on holidays with the right to work.

Please enlighten me as to how working from 9-5 is a holiday. Bloody sh1t holiday if so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

They would say it is your choice to work a 9-5.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I am talking about the media as in the West Australia and the Perthnow website along with the likes of ACA. I agree that letter was not written by the media.

I'm no fan of The West but the story they ran on the whole thing was perfectly fine and there was zero scare mongering.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/13651850/police-act-over-irish-backpackers-behaving-badly/

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

They do treat people on WHV though as if they are on holidays with the right to work.

Please enlighten me as to how working from 9-5 is a holiday. Bloody sh1t holiday if so. :)

It's a holiday for me :) working 16 hours a day is my job unfortunately :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I was in Perth over the Easter holidays and had a few beers in Northridge on a Saturday night.

We were were in the queue for one pub and an Africian bouncer pulled an Irish guy out of the queue and told him he was too drunk- come back later when you sober up. Was fair enough, the guy was staggering a bit. The bouncer wasn't heavy handed or anything.

Irish guy starts giving the bouncer pure abuse about being an Abo and then moved onto how he was going to rape his mother. This went on for about 10 minutes. The guy could have fecked off and got a burger for 20 minutes and came back and got in, but instead decided to go down the abuse route.

Later in the night we were in another queue and an Irish guy bananas drunk was pulled out of it for taking a piss. On the way home there was some sort of outdoor cinema and there were a gang of Irish lads in annoying the people watching the film, falling all over the place and trying to scab ciggies.

In fairness I can understand where the people in Perth are coming from, they must think we are an awful bunch of idiots. Whether or not this behaviour is confined to a small bunch of knobends from back home, I haven't a clue. Though they are successfully managing to turn the locals against us though and it is having a serious knock on effect.

I recently put in 2 rental applications in Sydney via email, all was going 100% until the real estate agents called me and heard that I was Irish. "Err ugggh, sorry this property has been rented". Properties are still for rent on the websites.

I think people haven't noticed things are completely shite back home. We are being given good oppotunities down here for a better life and to enjoy a truly amazing country. Instead we are just making a bad name for ourselves, think its time to cop on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement