Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour Perth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Alot of people seem to turn their noses up at WHV holders but I know plenty of people who have come of this visa having gained fantastic work experience and with enough money saved to put down a deposit for a house when they go home.

Fully agree. A bit of snobbery towards the WHV from people on “real visas” is seen on these boards from certain posters, who I will not name, but who’s identities are obvious to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Yet to get a comment from a member of a Perth GAA club.

The guts of the problem is alcohol and immaturity.
    Certain individuals by themselves or with their cohorts will think nothing of downing vast quantities of goon before hitting the bars to drink themselves even more silly. I've seen the same in Ireland with people picking up the cheap stuff from LiDL before going out. Why is this?
    It seems to be the only culture or experience of imbibing alcohol that they have. I know goon is synonymous with being a backpacker (WHV holder) these days.

I have lost count of the morning after cases I have seen related to backpackers and alcohol. I would guesstimate about 75% of them are Irish, followed by English and Dutch. I have worked in Bondi, Cairns and St Kilda so I'm somewhat qualified to comment.

Injuries range from black eyes to broken limbs. Severe sunburn from falling asleep outside on the way home. Cuts, gashes from fights or falling on glass or jumping off from various platforms including a hostel roof. Nearly half have little or no recollection of events. Then there's the plethora of other delightful cases when the drunken individual sleeps with someone and has bugger all memory of it except for bed bug bites, pubic lice, gonorrhea, chlamydia or genital warts that show up in the ensuing days. On top of that there's the unwanted pregnancies and sexual assault (male and female)
    And you also see some who want to go further and try ice, coke, E, which on top of alcohol is a total disaster.

But the thing that really really frustrates me is in almost half of these cases people are not or claim not to be able to afford proper treatment! Wtf?
    You went out last night, spent a wad of cash, made a total tit of yourself and now you're broke. These are the ones I pack off to the local A+E dept with passport in hand.

I only see the morning after. Dealing with this week in, week out it turns me off wanting to go the pubs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Feelgood wrote: »
    I was in Perth over the Easter holidays and had a few beers in Northridge on a Saturday night.

We were were in the queue for one pub and an Africian bouncer pulled an Irish guy out of the queue and told him he was too drunk- come back later when you sober up. Was fair enough, the guy was staggering a bit. The bouncer wasn't heavy handed or anything.

Irish guy starts giving the bouncer pure abuse about being an Abo and then moved onto how he was going to rape his mother. This went on for about 10 minutes. The guy could have fecked off and got a burger for 20 minutes and came back and got in, but instead decided to go down the abuse route.

Later in the night we were in another queue and an Irish guy bananas drunk was pulled out of it for taking a piss. On the way home there was some sort of outdoor cinema and there were a gang of Irish lads in annoying the people watching the film, falling all over the place and trying to scab ciggies.

In fairness I can understand where the people in Perth are coming from, they must think we are an awful bunch of idiots. Whether or not this behaviour is confined to a small bunch of knobends from back home, I haven't a clue. Though they are successfully managing to turn the locals against us though and it is having a serious knock on effect.

I recently put in 2 rental applications in Sydney via email, all was going 100% until the real estate agents called me and heard that I was Irish. "Err ugggh, sorry this property has been rented". Properties are still for rent on the websites.

I think people haven't noticed things are completely shite back home. We are being given good oppotunities down here for a better life and to enjoy a truly amazing country. Instead we are just making a bad name for ourselves, think its time to cop on.

Outstanding post!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I was in Perth over the Easter holidays and had a few beers in Northridge on a Saturday night.

We were were in the queue for one pub and an Africian bouncer pulled an Irish guy out of the queue and told him he was too drunk- come back later when you sober up. Was fair enough, the guy was staggering a bit. The bouncer wasn't heavy handed or anything.

Irish guy starts giving the bouncer pure abuse about being an Abo and then moved onto how he was going to rape his mother. This went on for about 10 minutes. The guy could have fecked off and got a burger for 20 minutes and came back and got in, but instead decided to go down the abuse route.

Later in the night we were in another queue and an Irish guy bananas drunk was pulled out of it for taking a piss. On the way home there was some sort of outdoor cinema and there were a gang of Irish lads in annoying the people watching the film, falling all over the place and trying to scab ciggies.

In fairness I can understand where the people in Perth are coming from, they must think we are an awful bunch of idiots. Whether or not this behaviour is confined to a small bunch of knobends from back home, I haven't a clue. Though they are successfully managing to turn the locals against us though and it is having a serious knock on effect.

I recently put in 2 rental applications in Sydney via email, all was going 100% until the real estate agents called me and heard that I was Irish. "Err ugggh, sorry this property has been rented". Properties are still for rent on the websites.

I think people haven't noticed things are completely shite back home. We are being given good oppotunities down here for a better life and to enjoy a truly amazing country. Instead we are just making a bad name for ourselves, think its time to cop on.

Best post on the whole thing so far and nobody can argue with, that's simply the reality here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

the accountants ,the boys in IT,the lads going in to law and the pharmacists are still here. was out in the local for the bank holiday sunday just gone and one of the lads noticed all the lads who got real good leaving certs and were generally good are still here and all the chancers and chavs have decided to foxtrot oscar.

I agree with most of your post but there are plenty of irish people out here in those professions too.
    I had a job at home but I moved here to progress the mining side of my career and so far its worked a treat.

Sadly like with any goldrush you get the twats who go along to leech and plenty of them are Irish people.

So if I go out in Perth I avoid NorthBridge like the plague, Fremantle is a really nice place but doesnt be much better at times. Generally we stick to Perth City (rubbish nightlife but hey), Leaderville or Subi. You still encounter Irish people but they tend to be more of the kind who have settled here and have good jobs.

I live in a house with 4 Irish lads in a nice neighbour hood, I'm the last one out at 7 every morning. Thing is most of my wider circle of Irish friends here are the same, so people who talk crap and say its a majority or anything like that is BS. The reality its mostly small town knackers who are the dickheads.

I think they should have a strike system. 3 strikes and your on the plane home, that would make plenty of lads cop on.

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    This thread is just an excuse for people to vent, and be all anti-Irish to make themselves feel great about themselves that they are now “Australian” and living it large “down under”.

Is this what you call an 'alternative' view? You should read Feelgoods post I think he's more on the money than you.

Also the is nothing wrong with the GAA, it's a fine institution. Although I do agree wearing shirts to anywhere other than a football match is more of a statement than anything else.

For every one muppet that you have described, there are about 15 Irish people living or “holidaying” in Australia who are not acting like that. You paint large brush strokes.

Instead we are just making a bad name for ourselves, think its time to cop on.

You mean its time for the people causing the problem to cop on. But you know they wont, they will even wear this as a badge of honour.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

But you guys have more freedom than a lot of us residents. If you don't like your job or where you live you can move on. You don't have to worry about mortgages, council rates, water rates and school fees. I think a lot of Australians would envy you your status.

I didn't see that story Xavi6, it wasn't in the hardcopy.

ellaq wrote: »
    But you guys have more freedom than a lot of us residents. If you don't like your job or where you live you can move on. You don't have to worry about mortgages, council rates, water rates and school fees. I think a lot of Australians would envy you your status.

Yes that bit I can agree with. But it is not a holiday. Not for me anyway. I work 9 to half 5, Monday to Friday, gaining some experience in my field. I have an Australian Girlfriend. I have my own place, and share a house with locals. I run for a local athletics club, train 5 days a week. I compete in track races every weekend during the summer, and ran in the Victorian State Championships over 400m. That is not a holiday. That is life. It may only be for short term, who knows, but it is not a holiday. My holiday will be in the summer when I fly home for the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

For every one muppet that you have described, there are about 15 Irish people living or “holidaying” in Australia who are not acting like that. You paint large brush strokes.

But the whole point is that people don't see those 15 guys. They don't stick out to the larger society. It's only the trouble makers and the idiots who people will notice and remember and it it happens to be a bunch of Irish guys then suddenly everybody gets tarred with the same brush, and the minority of guys make it harder for everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Traq wrote: »
    But the whole point is that people don't see those 15 guys. They don't stick out to the larger society. It's only the trouble makers and the idiots who people will notice and remember and it it happens to be a bunch of Irish guys then suddenly everybody gets tarred with the same brush, and the minority of guys make it harder for everybody else.

+1 Exactly!

Well what’s your solution to the problem. Less ranting and raving, more action. What can you do to make Irish people look good? What can you do to give us a good reputation. Actions speak louder than words. This is just a b1tchfest. The reality is nobody here will do anything to try improve the Irish reputation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Absolutely no surprise whatsoever. Recently, I was in a hotel in a small town in Queensland - five hours inland from Brisbane - where I was personally told they don't rent rooms to Irish people (they made allowances for me because a contractor booked the room for me), and to add to that, one of the rental agencies in the town rent places to Irish either.

Im pretty sure that is illegal, you would not get away with that anywhere else in the western world.

I suppose you are going claim Feelgood is Irish bashing now? Not to mention the posters thanking him.

The man was just speaking of his experience which I believe to be the truth, obviously you have an issue with the truth.

Same as for the WHV being a holiday visa seems you have an issue with that, maybe you should write a letter of complaint to Chris Bowen the minister of Immigration and ask him to change the name as it doesn't suit you.

To be honest I think the best course of action is a zero tolerance policy on guys who go around acting like dicks all the time, be they Irish, English, or God forbid Australian, and it's good to see that there's now notice out there that the WA police are not going to tolerate this behaviour anymore.

As to what I'm doing, I'm part of the group of 15 guys you mentioned above; working, paying my dues and generally keeping myself out of mischief. Trouble is, that doesn't make the headlines.

Im pretty sure that is illegal, you would not get away with that anywhere else in the western world.

Well look who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

You're fully correct that these idiots reflect a minority of the Irish in Australia and that you're not going to see stories in the paper about the 95% of Irish people here who are friendly, hardworking and civil. However, you'd just have to hope that most Australians are rational enough not to judge Irish people on a minority. It should be clear to any sane person that it's not the majority who are like that. I'm sure some people will jump on the bandwagon and tar everyone with the same brush but those too are a minority.

I think we have to stop worrying about how 'we' as Irish are viewed by others. If someone is foolish enough to judge me on the basis of a scumbag who just happened to be born in the same country as me then it's more of a reflection on them rather than me. I don't judge all English people on some of the lads I've seen puking and fighting in Templebar or Berlin on a stag, or all Aussies/Kiwis on the ones I see fighting outside my local here almost every weekend.

There'll always be scumbags. I hate them as much as everyone else, but there seems to be far too much attention paid to worrying about how 'we' look IMO.

To be honest I think the best course of action is a zero tolerance policy on guys who go around acting like dicks all the time, be they Irish, English, or God forbid Australian, and it's good to see that there's now notice out there that the WA police are not going to tolerate this behaviour anymore.

A three strikes and your going home would sort out most of it I reckon.

As to what I'm doing, I'm part of the group of 15 guys you mentioned above; working, paying my dues and generally keeping myself out of mischief. Trouble is, that doesn't make the headlines.

Well try do something positive that shows off our nation, people, culture in a positive light instead of just hiding away among the masses. It is quite clear that many people are stupid in this world, and they are willing to make generalisations based on the minority of d1ckheads that exist in a race/nationality. The media doesn’t report good news. That doesn’t sell papers. They only care about the bad. If people base their opinions on Irish people on this then they are not very intelligent, and I have no interest in engaging with such people. If you are so hurt by the Irish reputation apparently being damaged, then get out there and make us look good. Do something positive. Make people say “wow, that Irish guy is a great lad. I’d love to visit Ireland and meet more people like that”. Moaning here, and doing nothing constructive doesn’t solve anything. ACTIONS.

• Advertisement

Well try do something positive that shows off our nation, people, culture in a positive light instead of just hiding away among the masses. It is quite clear that many people are stupid in this world, and they are willing to make generalisations based on the minority of d1ckheads that exist in a race/nationality. The media doesn’t report good news. That doesn’t sell papers. They only care about the bad. If people base their opinions on Irish people on this then they are not very intelligent, and I have no interest in engaging with such people. If you are so hurt by the Irish reputation apparently being damaged, then get out there and make us look good. Do something positive. Make people say “wow, that Irish guy is a great lad. I’d love to visit Ireland and meet more people like that”. Moaning here, and doing nothing constructive doesn’t solve anything. ACTIONS.

Who says he, and rest of us, don't already do that in day to day life? :confused:

Disagreeing with your opinion does not necessarily constitute a "moan" and if you weren't so defensive and quick to jump down people's throats you might realise that.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    I suppose you are going claim Feelgood is Irish bashing now? Not to mention the posters thanking him.

The man was just speaking of his experience which I believe to be the truth, obviously you have an issue with the truth.

How is it the “truth”? This poster has made generalisations. He/she has handpicked a few individual experiences and people he has seen while out on a Saturday night. I may aswell make generalisations so based on a few people. Let’s see..hmmm…Sonia O’Sullivan. Has lived in Melbourne for years, is loved within the Australian athletics community, is actively involved in one of the local athletics clubs here, and heavily involved in fun runs, getting people off their lazy obese arses to actually become healthy and prolong their lives by a few decades. Based on her contribution to Australian society I’d like to declare that Irish people are great altogether!

Based on her contribution to Australian society I’d like to declare that Irish people are great altogether!

They generally are. Just the bad ones tend to be drunker, louder and more rowdy than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Do something positive. Make people say “wow, that Irish guy is a great lad. I’d love to visit Ireland and meet more people like that”. Moaning here, and doing nothing constructive doesn’t solve anything. ACTIONS.

Doing nothing constructive?. Pull your head out of your arse man FFS.
    A percentage of us are doing exactly what should be done to maintain the reputation of the Irish, its very simple -

Work hard, pay rent/bills, respect others property, realise that this is not your country and abide by it rules.

Unfortunately a lot of people have difficulty with the above.

Doing nothing constructive?. Pull your head out of your arse man FFS.
    A percentage of us are doing exactly what should be done to maintain the reputation of the Irish, its very simple -

Work hard, pay rent/bills, respect others property, realise that this is not your country and abide by it rules.

Unfortunately a lot of people have difficulty with the above.

There will always be idiots. FROM every country, and IN every country. Point out a nationality that doesn’t have d1ckheads and I’ll call you a liar. Making a big deal of this is stupid. It is never going to change. It will always be a tiny percentage that will act like this. The day that everybody lives there lives properly is the day that judges and policemen will be drawing the dole. Start living in the real world. If you’d like to believe that the Irish reputation is diminished based on a few muppets, who behave disgracefully then fire ahead. I don’t have a bad impression on Brazilians based on the fact that some people try to rob you blind. I don’t have a bad impression of Indians based on the fact that some of them try to sell you sh1t and scam you over the phone. You are generalising, painting large brush strokes, falling into the media sensationalist trap. Why not generalise based on the majority of great people, of the Sonia O’Sullivan’s of this world?

How is it the “truth”? This poster has made generalisations.

He described what went on outside a niteclub, that's not a generalisation it's an experience. I believe it to be truth as he has no reason to make it up.

I think you are just trolling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

mandrake04 wrote: »

Mod Enough bickering please.

Feelgood has posted a story from his own experience, he never claimed this was all irish people or made sweeping generalisations. If you claim this I'll ask you to back it up - otherwise zip it

hussey wrote: »
    Mod Enough bickering please.

Feelgood has posted a story from his own experience, he never claimed this was all irish people or made sweeping generalisations. If you claim this I'll ask you to back it up - otherwise zip it

Mandrake was referring to it as the truth of what Irish people are like, to which I wholeheartedly disagreed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mandrake was referring to it as the truth, to which I wholeheartedly disagreed.

"The man was just speaking of his experience which I believe to be the truth"

Mod Please use the report post if you believe he is lying/trolling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement