Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour Perth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

04072511 wrote: »
    You are generalising, painting large brush strokes

Mate -

You are not listening to whats being said here. Irish people are telling stories about having difficulty renting properties across the country, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, country wide - and this is one hell of a big country!. I have experienced it first hand myself.

There were adverts recently in Perth, clearly stating no Irish wanted and I am sure that is the secret sentiment of other employers at this stage.

How do you think an entire country has come to this mentality about the Irish?. Its defintely not because 1 or 2 guys are falling around twisted on a Saturday night, its because a large majority of Irish are down here completely taking the piss and wrecking the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Feelgood wrote: »
    Mate -

You are not listening to whats being said here. Irish people are telling stories about having difficulty renting properties across the country, Brisbane, Sydney, Perth, country wide - and this is one hell of a big country!. I have experienced it first hand myself.

There were adverts recently in Perth, clearly stating no Irish wanted and I am sure that is the secret sentiment of other employers at this stage.

How do you think an entire country has come to this mentality about the Irish?. Its defintely not because 1 or 2 guys are falling around twisted on a Saturday night, its because a large majority of Irish are down here completely taking the piss and wrecking the joint.

I agree with your post, but I would say minority over majority. But then again I have no idea about Perth social scene just Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

04072511 wrote:
    These people are morons who give the rest of us a bad name.

04072511 wrote:
    If you’d like to believe that the Irish reputation is diminished based on a few muppets, who behave disgracefully then fire ahead.

You seem to be just contradicting yourself now with the above quotes.

Also, you are surmising, and taking umbrage to the fact that Mandrake meant "truth" in the sense that the Feelgood's statement describes all Irish people when he has clearly stated - and it reads clearly to me - that Mandrake is implying that Feelgood's story is truthful.
    In essence you're getting yourself worked up over what you believe Mandrake to be saying rather than what he actually is saying, and as a result you're arguing with no-one but yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Traq wrote: »
    You seem to be just contradicting yourself now with the above quotes.

Also, you are surmising, and taking umbrage to the fact that Mandrake meant "truth" in the sense that the Feelgood's statement describes all Irish people when he has clearly stated - and it reads clearly to me - that Mandrake is implying that Feelgood's story is truthful.
    In essence you're getting yourself worked up over what you believe Mandrake to be saying rather than what he actually is saying, and as a result you're arguing with no-one but yourself.

Well what I am saying is also truth, that the majority of Irish people down here are great, and that anybody who bases their opinions of a nationality on a few people they have met is a very unintelligent person.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

woah just reading this thread it should be called "the irish bashing thread" talk about your sweeping generalisations!! :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

Bothered by the carry-on of these Irish people? Do something about it. Draw up a proposal for how this problem can be tackled, identifying who will be involved, how much it will cost etc. Submit it to your local government representative. Do something constructive.

Moaning on message boards wont change thr problem, and the only purpose it serves is to make you feel good about yourselves that you are not one of these clowns. The same way skinny people watch the Biggest Loser to feel good about themselves that they are not morbidy obese.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Mate -

To be fair, I'm sure lots of people on here could also cite how the way they're treated by Australians hasn't changed at all over the last while, but like the subject of this thread - the bad stories always make the news while the good news is hidden away.

I'm sorry to hear that you have personally felt the brunt of what some idiots have been doing - it annoys me as much as anyone that those people are behaving that way - but I think it's melodramatic in the extreme to claim that "an entire country has come to this mentality about the Irish". Most Aussies are rational enough not to stereotype from my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

04072511 wrote:
    Well what I am saying is also truth, that the majority of Irish people down here are great, and that anybody who bases their opinions of a nationality on a few people they have met is a very unintelligent person.

Very true, and for the record I'm well aware of the good work Sonia O'Sullivan does here, along with the broader Irish community. I have a number of Irish friends who are intimately involved in organising the Emer Casey Fun Run each year and that's just one event that comes to mind right now, although I'm sure there are more.

The vast majority of the Irish people - from my experience - who are here are honest, hard working, decent people. It's just that the vocal minority can make things more difficult for all of us, as per Feelgood's example of renting properties, along with the No Irish need apply job ad in WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Bothered by the carry-on of these Irish people? Do something about it. Draw up a proposal for how this problem can be tackled, identifying who will be involved, how much it will cost etc. Submit it to your local government representative. Do something constructive.

Moaning on message boards wont change thr problem, and the only purpose it serves is to make you feel good about yourselves that you are not one of these clowns. The same way skinny people watch the Biggest Loser to feel good about themselves that they are not morbidy obese.
    Did draw up a proposal for better city breaks in Australia?

I'd like to use your template. thanks

6ix wrote: »
    but I think it's melodramatic in the extreme to claim that "an entire country has come to this mentality about the Irish". Most Aussies are rational enough not to stereotype from my experience.

I didn't really mean it like that mate, I meant negative sentiments about the Irish exist across the entire country.

Wasn't implying that everyone in the entire country share the same feeling about Irish people.

• Advertisement

Sundy wrote: »
    Did draw up a proposal for better city breaks in Australia?

I'd like to use your template. thanks

That's a silly comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Keep it civil guys

I didn't really mean it like that mate, I meant negative sentiments about the Irish exist across the entire country.

Wasn't implying that everyone in the entire country share the same feeling about Irish people.

Everthing here is virtual pub talk. Nobody here will actually actively get involved to try and stop this problem. Not one. We Irish people are great talkers. We plan a lot of things, but never actually go through with what we say. Think Bertie Bowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So its agreed then next Boards Beers in in Northbridge.

If we see any knackers acting up well thats a Paddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Zambia wrote: »
    So its agreed then next Boards Beers in in Northbridge.

If we see any knackers acting up well thats a Paddling.

I'll bring the whacking sticks

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTycf86PJXZmEsZzhlTDPYvEUj9Uwhz-DAS0lSHkhMxNSA-z_1tIKU9tFCdGA

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I'll bring the whacking sticks

I reckon hurleys are the only way to go!. A wee taste of home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

18102010.jpg

I can do better

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its a shame that these moronic ignorant fcukers are giving all you guys a bad rep out there. Is there anyway way a scheme could be organised with the Aus government and Irish community to transport these savage bastards to special 'camps' in Tasmania?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its a shame that these moronic ignorant fcukers are giving all you guys a bad rep out there. Is there anyway way a scheme could be organised with the Aus government and Irish community to transport these savage bastards to special 'camps' in Tasmania?

Why what has Tasmania done to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It helpful that these reckless alcoholics are easily identifiable, GAA/Manu/Celtic jersey tops make them easy to avoid.
    I know some peoples backs are up about this but don't forget that the origin of this thread was a letter from Perth police to GAA clubs. I'd consider that a first warning to everyone, including myself, that if needs be action will be taken if the situation escalates any further.
    Years ago in Brisbane two drunken backpackers did something very silly to an ANZAC memorial and spent nights in lockup until the consent was attained to deport them. (they weren't Irish by the way for all those with a persecution complex)
    There is a tipping point and the Perth police are telling everyone they are near it. Once the first deportation happens, it will be easier for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Fully agree. A bit of snobbery towards the WHV from people on “real visas” is seen on these boards from certain posters, who I will not name, but who’s identities are obvious to everyone.

Em are you Joe McCarthy?

Seriously get off the pot or take a $hit.

No these posters names are not obvious to everyone, either grow a pair and tell us or cut out the "pity me" routine. Or take it to a mod/pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

My 2 cents.

There is a sizable proportion of Irish idiots in Australia who are giving the rest of us a bad name. I think we can stat that as fact.

It has gotten worse over the past few years because of the age profile, maturity and types of backgrounds these people have come from.
    Class may be the wrong word for it but there is a definite trend towards those who are the grunts for the construction sector that seems to be causing all this trouble.
    See, this is Australia not Thurles or Killarney. The type of behavior one can get away with there is not acceptable here. It will get you in trouble and arrested. I dont see a problem with that. I also dont see a problem with other posters condemning this behaviour. Should one say nothing or mumble that the Aussies are just as bad in London? No, if it is seen that the more mature and more established Irish community in Australia (like many here) condemn and are outraged by this behavior it might change the tune of some of these WHV'ers that thinks its OK to go to another country and trash the place like its San Diego or Santo Ponza. W'aheeey the lads.....not!

To be pro active? Well how about writing to the Irish Consulate in Canberra expressing your outrage at this behavior, not only the level of it but the frequency of such incidents. We should request that the Irish ambassador to Australia write a public letter condemning this behavior and to remind all, present and future WHV'ers that the laws of Australia should be respected and upheld.

Seeing as 04072511 is eager to start such a campaign as I can see that he is buzzing with energy, I will await the first draft that will be posted here.

Also, I also think Australian bouncers are dickheads and assholes, they have terrible conflict resolution skills and will more than likely start a fight then quell it. Hence why I avoid certain pubs. HINT: Clubs/pubs that are anyway gay are usually great craic (excuse the pun) because people there are there for a good time, not a fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Good post Jank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Jank when you get your residency give me a shout and I'll come into the city and buy you a few schooners, you are the sort on Irish immigrant this country needs.

jank wrote: »
    To be pro active? Well how about writing to the Irish Consulate in Canberra expressing your outrage at this behavior, not only the level of it but the frequency of such incidents. We should request that the Irish ambassador to Australia write a public letter condemning this behavior and to remind all, present and future WHV'ers that the laws of Australia should be respected and upheld.

Would just like to point out that there are plenty of muppets from Ireland who are on 457s also, and even on PRs. More large brushstrokes. This letter should be reminding all Irish people, WHV or otherwise.

I agree with your post here. This is far more productive than moralistic moaning on a messageboard. If each of you wrote a letter and sent them off to the Irish ambassador, local parliament representative etc instead of whingeing here then maybe it could result in more of a positive outcome.

So will you go and write this letter Jank, or is it all pub talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Would just like to point out that there are plenty of muppets from Ireland who are on 457s also, and even on PRs. More large brushstrokes. This letter should be reminding all Irish people, WHV or otherwise.

I agree with your post here. This is far more productive than moralistic moaning on a messageboard. If each of you wrote a letter and sent them off to the Irish ambassador, local parliament representative etc instead of whingeing here then maybe it could result in more of a positive outcome.

So will you go and write this letter Jank, or is it all pub talk?
    You were the one who initially suggested action so why dont you write it?

If it was convincing enough I'd probably send it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I am no GAA lover at all, but come on, the GAA causing all these social problems in Australia? Without GAA, Australia wouldn’t have their beloved “footy”. Whether that would be a good thing or not is a different debate, but most people love that sport, so in that regard GAA has had a very positive effect in this nation.

Slightly off topic but this is False, the official stance from the AFL is that the game derived from Rugby football (Union) and not GAA, Xavi can confirm this better than me.

Sundy wrote: »
    You were the one who initially suggested action so why dont you write it?

If it was convincing enough I'd probably send it off.

No, I'm the one suggesting action to all the moaners here. I'm not moaning about any of this myself. As I have said these idiots dont impact on my life and I have received no negativity here because of my nationality. But lots of people here feel hurt and appalled by what about 1% of Irish people here are doing, so my advice to all of you, quit moaning and do something about of it.

Is there anyway way a scheme could be organised with the Aus government and Irish community to transport these savage bastards to special 'camps' in Tasmania?

No we cant do that, ive got a grand scheme to give Tasmania to New Zealand as a peace offering.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    the origin of this thread was a letter from Perth police to GAA clubs. I'd consider that a first warning.

I actually think the way the Western Australian Police Force is trying to handle the matter in a adult pro-active manner should be commended, although it could be lost on the juvenile Knacker mind though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement