Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antisocial behaviour Perth

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

04072511 wrote: »
    No, I'm the one suggesting action to all the moaners here. I'm not moaning about any of this myself. As I have said these idiots dont impact on my life and I have received no negativity here because of my nationality. But lots of people here feel hurt and appalled by what about 1% of Irish people here are doing, so my advice to all of you, quit moaning and do something about of it.

No, you've just been a ray of positivity.

People posting messages on a message board....what are they thinking?

I see plenty of low life behaviour by GAA-topped clowns in Perth.
    It doesn't affect my life. Does this mean I shouldn't have an opinion on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Would just like to point out that there are plenty of muppets from Ireland who are on 457s also, and even on PRs. More large brushstrokes. This letter should be reminding all Irish people, WHV or otherwise.

Really have you proof of this? I would say the vast majority of people who have been through this process value it... its a pretty painful process especially the PR its not like applying for a holiday visa.

I'm not silly enough to say that anyone who is sponsored or PR are angels but I think your point above indicates you have more of a problem with your own status you don't seem to like the WHV being referred to a a Working Holiday Visa.

I think you know yourself (and most here would agree) the majority of idiots involved in this antisocial behaviour are not 457 or PR as its likely that these people live in the suburbs rather than hostels or backpacker accommodation.

Earlier in the thread you tried to somehow blame the local Aussies, now it seems you are trying to shift part of the blame to 457'ers and PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nedbroy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Mate Australia is the same as anywhere, once you work out where all the good places are then it's easier to avoid the nasties. My advice on anyone succeeding in Australia is to remember that it is Australia, geographically it's massive and has huge snakes and creepie crawleys. Its not Ireland in the sun and it's never going to be that way, your best bet is to accept it.

Also make some Aussie friends, avoid asking them 'whats the Craic? they will think you are weird. Use. 'Hows it goin?' instead.

Maybe they will invite you to a Barbie, this is good because because you have now the chance of getting to have a conversation with some of the locals. It is important not to make too much of a d!ck out of yourself because one of the neighbours might be a FIFO mining executive who owns a 25 foot cruiser and he enjoys having a few friends along for a weekend of sport fishing for Tuna and Stripeys. If you come across as a decent sort maybe he will put in a good word for a mining job.

Also the other neighbour has a very attractive 22 year old daughter, she kinda likes your accent as its a bit different. She would love to offer you a day at the beach in her new golf convertible, but she has been reading a lot of negative stuff about the Irish in The Western Australian newspaper. This makes you kinda cringe because your thoughts are of loads of muppets sitting in plastic paddy pubs drinking over priced pints and slapping themselves on the back on how great they are to have emigrated (they are on WHV's btw) and have no decent contacts, know nothing about the city, nothing about the country except drinking the faces of themselves and staying in some overpriced kip cos its 'cool'

But your mind comes back to the thought of the beach and you think, sure I could go out to the pub and make a fool out of myself any day in Ireland and as the old saying goes when in Rome .......and you know the rest.

Really Crack you are the stranger in this town its up to you to make the effort....be positive towards the people who can help you, if you make the effort you never know where it leads or what doors it opens.

But if you get on like some of these other boys on here with their negative Australia bashing sure how are you supposed to get anywhere good with that carryon?

Do you really want to be heading towards loserville?

These guys get all bitter and twisted and then end up posting in AH how horrible Aussies are and they never met any because they stuck to their parish mentality.

Great post, agree with everything you said - a positive attitude and taking an interest in Australian culture while you're here will get you far. My boss is a huge AFL fan - told him I'd love to see a game sometime. This morning he gave me 2 spare tickets to the Dockers game on Sunday \o/

We also got the blessed invitation to the traditional Aussie barbeque from another workmate and met loads of really cool people there, proper salt of the earth aussies - one leading to a new job for himself

Before we came here people told us to join a GAA club to make contacts - I have to say I don't agree. Get out of the backpacker holes and meet the locals - they are the ones who open doors, not just job wise but in the sense of experiencing the real Australia.

As regards the 'how you going?/what's the craic?' whatever you do don't use the word root as a verb. For example I told a work colleague I had been 'rooting around' lokoing for a certain file - got a very funny look! It means something very different over here as the long timers will know! :o

On topic Northbridge at night definately is a problem. I haven't been since Paddy's day and probably wouldn't go back if you paid me. It is a shame if Aussies think that's who we are.

On a sidenote here the bouncers here are total a$$es - I've seen them be ridiculously heavy handed - three guys wrestling a guy in a club to the floor because he was a bit stumbly. There's no need for that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Earlier in the thread you tried to somehow blame the local Aussies, now it seems you are trying to shift part of the blame to 457'ers and PR.

Nah we know that is just cheap digs, but all the same i will keep a very close eye on you from now on you PR man:D.

on a side note, ive got the 2 passports as well, gee it makes "traveling" easy, no standing in the long queue at either end of that much hated trip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A friend pointed out to me recently that back here in Ireland there has been a very noticeable drop in petty, spoiled brat, teen behviour - for example the formerly commonplace 15 ignorant wannabe Scumbags outside the Spar shop intimidating normal decent people or even the drop in boy racer activity, I haven't seen a lime green 'Mammys car' with black windows in the past two years or so!!!

- Irelands best growth export if you ask me!!!

(Sorry for your troubles)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

No, I'm the one suggesting action to all the moaners here. I'm not moaning about any of this myself. As I have said these idiots dont impact on my life and I have received no negativity here because of my nationality. But lots of people here feel hurt and appalled by what about 1% of Irish people here are doing, so my advice to all of you, quit moaning and do something about of it.

Its actually up to the police to do something about it. Its not our job to enforce the laws of Australia, just to abide by them and Australian values.

Anybody who doesn't should be sent home.

..although if anybody wants to start a vigilante group I'll canvas around for foot soldiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Orizio wrote: »
    You act like its a co-incidence that it is always GAA-wearing inbred bogger filth that are tearing up Australian cities.

That's not the GAA's or the Catholic churches fault. Indeed I would suggest that "always" is pushing it a fair bit too far.

kippy wrote: »
    GAA's or the Catholic churches .

You are missing one of the Holy Trinity of Irish Institutions, the An Garda Siochana, just as messed up and complicit but no less important than the other two.

The Aussie wrote: »
    You are missing one of the Holy Trinity of Irish Institutions, the An Garda Siochana, just as messed up and complicit but no less important than the other two.
    So the GAA, the Catholic Church and The Garda Siochana are responsible for the behaviour of the Irish abroad.
    So much for individual responsibility.

So much for individual responsibility.

No, i would blame the scumbags parent for thinking that their spawn should be allowed to run around free range like chickens should be.

The reference about the Holy Trinity is that they are the three organizations that helped shape this country (Ireland) and its people.

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    No, i would blame the scumbags parent for thinking that their spawn should be allowed to run around free range like chickens should be.

The reference about the Holy Trinity is that they are the three organizations that helped shape this country (Ireland) and its people.

So now it's the parents fault......
    Come on, these are grown adults.

So now it's the parents fault......
    Come on, these are grown adults.

What with mental age of a two year old, half these tools should not even be away from their failure of a mammy without even thinking about being half a world away with like minded fools, legally speaking they are adults but i would put money on it that they would not even comprehend what one is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

For those who think this isn't an Irish bashing thread, open you eyes. It's funny how the minority of not only Irish in Australia, but also Irish WHV's bring out so much hatred in people about things from back home. It's a typical Irish trait. We love a good moan. It reminds me of all the idiots who hate Bono and U2 because they haven't paid tax in Ireland the last few years, overlooking of course the fact that the amount of money they have brought into the country directly and indirectly over the years would be about a couple of hundred times more than what they are apparantly "robbing" or the Irish people. It's all moan moan moan about everything. The amount of threads on here every time some Irish clown does something embarrassing is ridiculous. You can count on one hand the amont of threads here dedicated to the Irish people doing good in Australia. You like to focus on negative. Good lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

. It's all moan moan moan about everything. The amount of threads on here every time some Irish clown does something embarrassing is ridiculous. You can count on one hand the amont of threads here dedicated to the Irish people doing good in Australia. You like to focus on negative. Good lads.

People in glass house shouldn't throw rocks. You make your own fair share of moan threads.

There are loads of really great threads on here that help people. I know it certainly help me before I came out.

Edit. Nah dont worry, i had to edit the post as i just feel pity for the poor sod now...

Sundy wrote: »
    You make your own fair share of moan threads.

Best described as a Staple Diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

HEY does anyboy know anyone in this GAA club? Ive been asked to follow it up by my editor. It would be a big help if I could get talking to someone.

HEY does anyboy know anyone in this GAA club?

Do they have a Facebook page, most of the Brisbane GAA Clubs do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

hmm, I'll check. Thanks a million!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

For those who think this isn't an Irish bashing thread, open you eyes. It's funny how the minority of not only Irish in Australia, but also Irish WHV's bring out so much hatred in people about things from back home. It's a typical Irish trait. It's all moan moan moan about everything. The amount of threads on here every time some Irish clown does something embarrassing is ridiculous. You can count on one hand the amont of threads here dedicated to the Irish people doing good in Australia. You like to focus on negative. Good lads.
    Being against anti-social behaviour in Perth is not anti-Irish, I feel the same way about anti-social behaviour when I'm in Ireland. If you're not one of the anit-social mob then I see no reason for you to be concerned.
    Being critical of anti-social behaviour is not a national thing, but this is a Irish forum where matters concerning Irish people in Australia are discussed.
    Some Irish people are causing trouble in Northbridge and it's affecting their compatriots ability to get apts etc as testified by other posters.
    There are two distinct groups here regardless of their visa status, those who respect their host and those who have no respect for their host.
    I know which one I'm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

CiaranC wrote: »
    ****ing whinging Aussies, if you dont want thousands of partying kids in your country then stop handing out visas to attract them. I dont see the Aussies complaining about the millions they inject into the local economy without costing the state a penny in provided services.

You have one bit right when they don't like it they will cut the number of working holiday visas.

As for us bring money to their economy that's a laughable concept. That's like saying tourism in Saudi Arabia is vital to the economy.

While I don't agree with the police targeting Irish specifically I do agree 100pc with deportation of muppets. I'm not down here to party and piss off home. I'm here to make a better life for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Nedbroy wrote: »
    .My boss is a huge AFL fan - told him I'd love to see a game sometime. This morning he gave me 2 spare tickets to the Dockers game on Sunday \o/

Dockers tickets? Mate, your boss obviously doesn't like you :p

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Would just like to point out that there are plenty of muppets from Ireland who are on 457s also, and even on PRs. More large brushstrokes. This letter should be reminding all Irish people, WHV or otherwise.

I agree with your post here. This is far more productive than moralistic moaning on a messageboard. If each of you wrote a letter and sent them off to the Irish ambassador, local parliament representative etc instead of whingeing here then maybe it could result in more of a positive outcome.

So will you go and write this letter Jank, or is it all pub talk?

I would just like to point out that that is a very large brushstroke right there. I for one have just gone through the process of PR for my family which cost about €4k when all is said and done, flights to OZ nearly €5k and add on top of that relocation costs for a family of 5, so you add it all up and i dont think either my wife or myself are making a €40k investment just so that we can move to perth and pissoff a few ozzies for the crack. also pretty sure guys on 457's are there because they want to be there and have ideas of getting residencey/citizenship down the road all of which is going to require a rather large investment at some stage.
    why WHV'ers are being singled out more in this thread is that they have zilch invested, are mostly single, for the most part immature, too young to handle their drink, have no ties or responsibilities and basically have this 'I couldn't give a fcuk attitude', the reason i know all this is (wait for it) i too was once in australia on WHV when i was 21 but i didn't act the prick while i was out there, sure i put my foot in it a few times while there but nothing like what iam reading in this thread.
    now that dosn't mean that all WHV'ers are dickheads, it just means that the profile of the trouble makers falls squarley into the profile of people on WHV's so therefore makes that group of people the most likely candidates, neither does it mean that all 457'ers or PR's are angels either, it's just more likely that these people are more serious about making australia their home and therefore have more respect for it.

to be quite honest with you, you are on here trying to stand up for a minority of people that couldn't even be bothered to stand up for themselves, not one of them has come on here to justify their actions or what they are doing to their reputation and the reputation of their fellow countrymen/women.

While I don't agree with the police targeting Irish specifically I do agree 100pc with deportation of muppets. I'm not down here to party and piss off home. I'm here to make a better life for myself.
    An increase in anti-social behaviour by people wearing GAA jerseys has come to their attention, informing the local GAA clubs is respectful to the good name of the organisation. If their targeting anything it's anti social thugs who ruin it for everyone else.
    But if you have a persecution complex I can understand how you'd see it the way you stated.

Sponge Bob, enjoy Australia mate, that 40K will be long forgotten when you see your family settled in. Australia like any country needs quality people, so dont worry im the one who is going to have to deal with these tools and the defenders/apologists of said tools when they come back home to their Mammy, namely because they are not quality people.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nedbroy

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Nedbroy wrote: »
    .My boss is a huge AFL fan - told him I'd love to see a game sometime. This morning he gave me 2 spare tickets to the Dockers game on Sunday \o/

Dockers tickets? Mate, your boss obviously doesn't like you :p

:pac:

Eeey the Dockers are my boys now. It was a condition of the job offer! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Cracking thread

• Registered Users Posts: 33,966 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive read much of this thread,

And tbh, the whole thread (as is the original precedence for the thread) just a huge generalisation.

Each post is just 'all you irish' then followed by 'ah sure all the australians'. Im pretty confident most posters here are just tarring entire nations with a big brush and it does very little other than show up your pure ignorance.

In fact i hate these joe duffy style threads, the letter is picked up by a daily mail style newspaper rag not fit to wipe ones rear with, They write this crap just to sell papers. And you lap it up.

Backpackers are backpackers where ever they go in large groups this happens irregardless of their nationality. There is no point telling posters here that they are ambassadors for their country and that because thats crap. The only ambassadors to countries are big business, and this is handled at a higher level than anyone on here can waffle on about. Leave these sort of situations to the bouncers and the police to resolve its a marginal localised problem.

There is nothing a bunch if whiney posters and a rag of a paper can do about it, (the world over)

So stop generalising and get on with life in your own little corner of the world where ever that maybe. Enjoy...

listermint wrote: »

In fact i hate these joe duffy style threads,
    In my best Joe Duffy voice...
    "and they forced you to post on that thread, go on, go on. Heartless, heartless. Forced you, you say, go on, go on."

• Advertisement

I should give Joe Duffy another chance some time if its like this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement