Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Visa but not using it...

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm in two minds about going over to Auz on a years working holiday visa.
    I'm a recently qualified aircraft mechanic (less than a year), although I do have my EASA licence, and I'm worried this will make it harder for me to find work. I have plenty of work here at the moment and am mostly doing contracts around europe, but a few of my friends have gone out there and I'm starting to think who don't I follow, I've nothing to keep me here.

What I was planning to do was to apply for the visa, and if I get it, then decied if I'll go or if I'll stay here for another year or so building up experience. If I do get a visa, but decide not to go, will this effect me in the future if I try to apply again I suppose is the main question I want to ask??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

As far as i know (anyone correct me if im wrong) if you're granted the whv and dont use it then you can cancel it. As long as you cancel it with immigration you should be able to apply for it again in the future but you dont get a refund.

Also you have a year from the day the visa is granted to get to Australia, once you enter it is activated and your year starts then. So you'll have plenty of time to decide to use it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

WHV is pretty straight forward to get you apply online and you get it within a few days afaik, unless you have some kind of murky past where you murdered someone or was head of a drug cartel or had some other sort of criminal record there is no reason why you shouldn't get it. so applying for it and then deciding whether or not you will go dosn't make a whole heap of sense imo.
    first off decide if you want to go.
    second apply for visa
    third get on plane

all can be done in less than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Oh really, never realized it was so quick, that's grand so, I'll have to start looking into jobs over there and see how I get on!
    Thanks for the replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Just a thought, had a quick look at the skilled occupation list for Oz, found this:
    Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Avionics)
    Trades Recognition Australia
    Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Mechanical)
    Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (Structures)

If you are able to get a skilled migrant visa you may avoid a lot of the hassel that seems to come with the WHV.

Check out http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/#a

See what you think

Advertisement