Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Irish Bank laser /maestro card hit by online fraud

Options
  • 08-05-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Had a call from National Irish Bank that someone had used my laser card online illegally today ,NIB cancelled the card themselves when they noticed the fraud .However the scammers managed to make two transactions only totalling little over €15 , then went for a larger amount but were stopped .Talked to a few of my friends that are with NIB and it also happened to them. Anyone else got stung?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liam085s

yes twice this week,eirshop for 40euro and 41.99 for aerling whoever they are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Got done myself on Friday!! First time ever. I can't understand how they got the laser card number? They placed an order online for something for €200!

I noticed myself and rang NIB friday. Their system had already flagged the transactions and the card was blocked, they were about to ring me. The rep said more than likely the thieves have a card number generator and that's how they got it. But that doesn't make any sense, given they'd need my name and the expiry date?!

Anyway I've to fill out a form they are sending me to get the fraud dept. to look into it. Do I need to report it to the guards aswell? Did anyone else get their money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liam085s

fill out the form and you will get your money back quick enough,it will probably take as long to get your new card and pin number, when laser cards are changed to Visa debit will this happen more often,after all there are not many online sites where laser can be used,certainly not nearly as many options as for a Visa card

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭VelcroGhost

NIB rang me today about my card being used. I've practically no money in the account so they were all automatically rejected except for one £1.99 on blinkbox. The guy said the other sites used were bus eireann and the omniplex in drogheda. Surely whoever's using the number generator if that's what it is can't be too hard to track if they can get their local cinema and bus routes.

Do websites not actually check against name and address like they say they do?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

These online frauds being carried out by number generating, small purchases done to test if card real & then they go for the bigger stuff they actually want.

Problem is with websites that don't ask for the 3 digit code on the back of card. My understanding is that many don't due to laser/maestro card being product unique to irish market & once this is replaced with visa debit problem should be rectified

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I got the phone call too from NIB, and a small fraudulent transaction. I had never used my laser card, so it is impossible that the number was gotten from anywhere but a breach in NIB security systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

I got the phone call too from NIB, and a small fraudulent transaction. I had never used my laser card, so it is impossible that the number was gotten from anywhere but a breach in NIB security systems.

Not true, the card numbers are being gathered by number generation programs. Particular number ranges (eg cards that start with 6771 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_card_number#Issuer_identification_number_.28IIN.29) are targeted which means there are less digits in the card number to 'guess'. The small transaction is carried out to verify that the card number is active.

Laser/Maestro cards issued by all banks are affected by this problem

Advertisement