Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Secret World

Options
  • 08-05-2012 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd give a heads up. The first Secret World closed beta (I think it's the first) is happening this weekend. Gamespot are giving away codes, and I presume other sites wll be too, if you have a look around.

http://uk.gamespot.com/event/codes/secret-world-pc/

You have to sign up to Gamespot first (as a free member).

As they have said, it's an early beta so it's failry rough and ready. This won't be like the recent Guild Wars beta or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Has anyone tried this yet? I'm still downloading (stupid slow middleofnowhere download speeds)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was playing it last night. Really enjoying it. There's an NDA, so not a whole lot can be said about it. It's obviously a work in progress, but is stable. A little confusing to get to grips with at first. But some aspects of it (having to alt-tab out to look up a webpage in Google, for example) are pretty cool. I think it's the modern, Lovecraftian setting of the beta that really hooks you.

edit: Just realised that it feels quite similar in theme to Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

humanji wrote: »
    edit: Just realised that it feels quite similar in theme to Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

Ohh, colour me interested...

I LOVED that game, played it through a few times. Such a shame Troika went under.

Enjoying the Secret World beta also, have a few niggles, but nothing that makes me regret preordering! Far more reasons that I like it than the few reasons I don't..

Apparantly there was 2 concurrent betas... the closed beta has an nda, the one that we just played this weekend has no nda, so we can talk about it all we want

• Advertisement

Are you sure? I had to agree to an NDA when I started to play. Also, bit odd that they'd have it for one and not the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gobSIDES

I hate the way companies have started doing BETAs, they make you jump through hoops, pre order games, sign up to 3rd party sites and a ton of other stuff for a slight chance of getting in.

Really boils me over- I have been signed up for months, am a previous BETA tester, played the stupid advertising ploy "The Secret War" and did not get a key, It was the same for TERA/TOW.

Oh you poor thing, that sounds awful. Imagine putting you through all that, and not giving you a beta key.

Playing the secret world to secret agent status gets you guaranteed access to the beta weekends at least, and while it is a shameless marketing ploy, personally, I think anything that gets as many people as possible playing this game is a good thing, I don't want to see it go under for a long time. MMOs cost money, they have to get it back, and the more they get, the longer the game lasts. I've been pushing my friends to sign up for the secret war so I get the shotgun that I want. I don't care that I'm 'doing their marketing for them'.

Another beta weekend coming up tomorrow *rubs hands in glee*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

You can apply for a key here, though i think it's a competition. I've not gotten mine anyway.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/16/the-secret-world-beta-weekend-key-giveaway/

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

A little confusing to get to grips with at first. But some aspects of it (having to alt-tab out to look up a webpage in Google, for example) are pretty cool.

But by depressing button B an in game browser will appear before your eyes!

• Advertisement

Yeah, I only found that out afterwards. It'll be easier when they sort out a proper tutorial, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gobSIDES

foxinsocks wrote: »
    Oh you poor thing, that sounds awful. Imagine putting you through all that, and not giving you a beta key.

Playing the secret world to secret agent status gets you guaranteed access to the beta weekends at least, and while it is a shameless marketing ploy, personally, I think anything that gets as many people as possible playing this game is a good thing, I don't want to see it go under for a long time. MMOs cost money, they have to get it back, and the more they get, the longer the game lasts. I've been pushing my friends to sign up for the secret war so I get the shotgun that I want. I don't care that I'm 'doing their marketing for them'.

Another beta weekend coming up tomorrow *rubs hands in glee*

Bit late but, lol at the first part. Grow a brain yeah.

Also did not get into any Beta weekends so far so I will wait for the Open Beta. I will def not pre-order this game after seeing how ****ty the combat looks without getting to play it first.

If you had played their "stupid advertising ploy" to secret agent level, you would have been in all the open beta weekends, you would have won guaranteed access.

Personally, I'm going to attempt to resist playing in the 2 final open weekends, I don't want to spoil my experience when the game finally launches.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 lostbooks

I wonder how many people are under the NDA but wish to talk about the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Intriguing, considering that CCP have been completely fluting around with making the World Of Darkness MMO, they could have their thunder stolen by funcom

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Attackfish

Drooling at the mouth over all the content previews being releases

The facebook game to go with it is a class idea (though not a facebook user).

Many folks here jumping in next weekends beta? It is pretty close to launch so should be pretty polished.

Going to try really hard not to play, I want to keep meself pure for the launch :)

I actually turned down a closed beta key. I do regret that, however I know that I'd regret it more if I had taken it and played.

Looking forward to this , when will it be out ?

First week of July, I think.

edit: actually, I think it's out next week here according to VGreleases.

Release date is July 3rd, with early access from 29th of June for preorders.

http://www.thesecretworld.com/ for confirmation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Mickey_37

Anyone in here interested in a beta key? just got an email from EA saying "Ive been chosen" anyway, i don't like MMO's, so i have no interest.

First come, first served.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just got one myself and am installing the client, any ideas which faction most fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Heres a key for anyone interested:

TEoFa.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Heres a key for anyone interested:

TEoFa.png
    Much obliged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

So this is the first time I have played a beta of this game and I have to say I am liking it.

I like the talk of technology such as google and xbox and I like knowing the layout of the game being earth.

One thing I don't like is the fiddly attacking system. it's hard to kite and attack at the same time!

Impressions so so, very similar to AOC in some ways.

Concept: Sorta silly when you consider its called the secret world and you have a London market that inhabited by the population of tatooine etc. Also, ragnar tornquist was involved so expect some really stupid local patois and ethnic vibes from NPC's. I think there's a fella in london dressed like a leprechaun with a shamrock symbol on his hat...begorrah

Like the design of the environment, jury's out on the interface. Skill wheel thing seems too clever for its own good, we shall see

Combat: meh same same.

Respawning involves a corpse run? Oh hell no. Dealbreaker right there.

Bambi wrote: »

Respawning involves a corpse run? Oh hell no. Dealbreaker right there.

Actually, you can ghost run back to your corpse, or you can just click on the thing where you spawn as a ghost, (I forget what its called) and rez there... Corpse runs not mandatory

Actually, you can ghost run back to your corpse, or you can just click on the thing where you spawn as a ghost, (I forget what its called) and rez there... Corpse runs not mandatory

Have'nt seen that and I looked :confused:

And whats with having a massive book glued to your back :eek:

It's possible that you have to 'discover' the anima well (that's the spawn place) before you can spawn there. but I know the last time I died I was able to click on some roots near my feet and was back to life there.

Not sure what you mean by the book?

The first few hours of play were hard, there was little to no tutorial style tips. I think they have a lot more of them in for the 3rd weekend, but I'm not sure. I died a LOT, but that was due to putting anima points in silly places.

It's correct that you can't 'respec', however you don't ever need to respec really, because you can get ALL the skills. So to learn different skills, you need more anima points (skill points really). It's not the end of the world if you spend on the wrong skill, you just have to kill more stuffs and do more quests :) Also, passive skills work no matter what weapon you have equipped. Only the active ones are tied to weapons. Also, I have read that some weapon combinations are hard going before you earn a lot of AP and get a lot of abilities. They can all work though, you can find ways to make any two weapon combos work.

• Advertisement

Not sure what you mean by the book?

If you equip blood focus (or summit similar I guess), you wind up with a large book glued to your back..it looks daft

Advertisement