Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for people who walk their dogs in the curragh

• 08-05-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭

Saw this on facebook
    Gardaí: Keep Dogs Leished On Curragh, Poison Laid
    2012-05-05 15:07:24

Gardaí in Kildare are warning dog owners walking their pets on the Curragh to keep them leished.
    The are reports that a number of loose dogs have ingested poison which has been laid for foxes

Gardaí are investigating the claim and have asked that dog owners take particular care for the time being

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Is it illegal to lay poison for fox's etc? I'm guessing it is, just not familiar with the law :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Very illegal, only covered poison is allowed now for rodents. Bad buz for the dogs involved and very irrisponsable when its known the place is a hotspot for walkers with dogs and kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Saw this also. I doubt the person who did it will be caught.
    I heard that foxes have been killing sheep but surely laying poison illegally isn't the only way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Kamili wrote: »
    Saw this also. I doubt the person who did it will be caught.
    I heard that foxes have been killing sheep but surely laying poison illegally isn't the only way?
    Laying poison is not a good way because its to indiscriminate and non target species always end up dead. Shooting is the best way to control fox numbers and also the most humane way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Laying poison is not a good way because its to indiscriminate and non target species always end up dead. Shooting is the best way to control fox numbers and also the most humane way.

+1

Nearly every parish in the country has a gun club that will take out foxes effectively, legally and safely via shooting and/or trapping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Are there signs in the curragh about this? Was driving through this morning and there were loads of people with their dogs running about.

Fecking lambs prancing around all over the place too - Had to stop to allow them cross a few times. :D

Advertisement