Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rider insurance

Options
  • 08-05-2012 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

apologies in advance if this is answered here already. Do I need to get rider only insurance for my children. They've being doing lessons for 18 months and will stick with it. The people at the riding school have their own horses so they have horse and rider insurance. Our family has health insurance is that sufficient or is there a reason to get a rider only insurance policy
    thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

No I dont think so.

Your health insurance should cover them in the event of any accident and the riding school insurance will cover public liability.

I have an insurance policy to cover my horse for vets fees and public liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CavanLady

I have Gold Membership with the BHS which covers me for Public Liability, Personal Accident Insurance and Legal Advice. The two yards I have ridden at recommend having your own insurance so check with yours to make sure your children are fully covered.

When I had my own mare, I had insurance with Allianz also.

http://www.bhs.org.uk/Join_Or_Support_Us/Join_the_BHS/Membership_Gold.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

Newgirl wrote: »
    .. Our family has health insurance is that sufficient or is there a reason to get a rider only insurance policy
    thank you

You only need to join the BHS for insurance reasons if you want to cover third party damage if your horse damaged someone else or their property. But you wont be using your own horse.

Speaking from experience, the equivalent of VHI Family Plan/ old Plan B and public system Emergency will cover your children. VHI never requested any info on our sport activities on policy renewal and they have cleared one large bill from a riding accident without any issue.

Additional insurance for adults using riding school facilities and horses may be warrented if income protection or similar was needed for extended sick leave resulting from a riding accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Would recommend that you read the fine print of your health insurance.
    I don't know if Horse Riding would be covered as certain injuries from certain sports are exempt.

I took out personal rider cover with Allianz two days ago, €105 for the year, top level cover & they allow 12 dd payments so definately worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

thank you all
    I'll double check with my health insurance

• Advertisement
Advertisement