Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

McClean gets "death threats" over Republic call

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

woodoo wrote: »
    Why would any catholic player declare for northern ireland when all they get is abuse. He is better off playing for the country he identifies with. He is more than welcome here.

Besides Northern Ireland will most likely never qualify for a major competition again :D

Why do you have to take a dig? seriously??

never understood why some fans like to fan the flames of hate when there is no need whatsoever to do so.

I'm glad we have McLean onboard, he sees himself as an Irishman, but theres no need for him to rub the Northern Ireland fan's noses in it. Show a bit of professionalism and maturity FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

And there are some fine examples from the past also

Back in the early 1980s the likes of Martin O' Neill could have played for the Republic (a parent or grandparent born on the island prior to 1922) but chose to play with the then successful NI

But you've no idea why he chose to play for NI. It certainly wasnt because they were successful as you seem to indicate.
    In the early 1990s both McAteer and Alan Kernaghan played for the then successful Republic on the basis that they had a parent or grandparent born on the island (NI in both cases) prior to 1922.

Completely different situations and bear no resemblance to the present situation

PauloMN wrote: »
    Comical. You have no opinion, but you do. You reckon he should get off Twitter. That's your opinion on the whole matter - that McClean should get off Twitter.

How about the idiots sending him messages? You've no opinion on them?

So calling them eejits isnt offering an opinion is it not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But you've no idea why he chose to play for NI. It certainly wasnt because they were successful as you seem to indicate.

Completely different situations and bear no resemblance to the present situation

Yes I have no idea why O' Neill or Jennings for that matter played for NI.
    But the point is they were Catholics (and there were other I'd imagine) who had no problem playing for NI.

If the like of McClean are so attached to the ROI then why did he manage to tog out 7 times for the NI U-21 team , starting at the age of 19/20.

How come he could have not refused his fist U-21 call up and say he was hold out for the ROI

Yes I have no idea why O' Neill or Jennings for that matter played for NI.
    But the point is they were Catholics (and there were other I'd imagine) who had no problem playing for NI.

Ya absolutley , i thought you were inferring that MON made his choice as Ni were successful which was far from the case when he made his debut
    If the like of McClean are so attached to the ROI then why did he manage to tog out 7 times for the NI U-21 team , starting at the age of 19/20.

How come he could have not refused his fist U-21 call up and say he was hold out for the ROI

I've no idea but maybe put it down to him being a young lad who was only interested in playing football at a high level? Who knows. Glad he's made the decision he did though.

Also while i accept that things have improved vastly for catholics/nationalists playing for the senior team i would doubt there was ever much hassle or attention paid to those who played underage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Well no surprise we are seeing more and more lads born in the 6 counties declaring for Ireland when you hear about sick and disgusting threats like that.

I have said it before and will say it again. Both associations need to get together and bury the hatchet. Not just for producing the best possible team but also to help promote healing and reconciliation on the island. If the football associations were able to come together that would be a massive step forward in bringing people together over time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

eire4 wrote: »
    Well no surprise we are seeing more and more lads born in the 6 counties declaring for Ireland when you hear about sick and disgusting threats like that.

I have said it before and will say it again. Both associations need to get together and bury the hatchet. Not just for producing the best possible team but also to help promote healing and reconciliation on the island. If the football associations were able to come together that would be a massive step forward in bringing people together over time.

And there's no reason why they wouldn't. Maybe the IFA (is that what they're called?) wouldn't be too keen on home matches being played in Dublin, as well as most of their players not being good enough to make the first team, but it's a win-win for the ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

PeterTwo wrote: »
    And there's no reason why they wouldn't. Maybe the IFA (is that what they're called?) wouldn't be too keen on home matches being played in Dublin, as well as most of their players not being good enough to make the first team, but it's a win-win for the ROI.
    Could easily insist on using Windsor park every two or three games, or even just for the smaller games since it is a fair bit smaller than the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Could you imagine amhran na bfhiann being played at windsor park???

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »

No, it would not happen anyway like they would not play GSTQ in Dublin.

All Ireland team is a silly idea.

eire4 wrote: »

But why are guys for NI only now deciding that they do not identify with the NI team.
    Why did so many play for NI for so long through the worst of the troubles ?
    The team that played in Nov 1993 had more Catholics on it than Protestants I believe.
    And as was posted on another of these threads awhile back it is not just since the GFA that people from NI have been entitled to play for the ROI.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Was played in 93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

No for two reasons. Such a team would require a neutral sporting anthem hence no Soldier's Song or GTSQ and also there's no way that a united team should be playing in Windsor Park as it is because it has the look and capacity of a league two ground. Even the old Landsdowne would be better.

But why are guys for NI only now deciding that they do not identify with the NI team.
    The team that played in Nov 1993 had more Catholics on it than Protestants I believe.
    And as was posted on another of these threads awhile back it is not just since the GFA that people from NI have been entitled to play for the ROI.

I think that was the turning point tbh, up to then i generally liked to see them do well as did most fans i know but all changed that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

is there many catholics actually playing for Northern Ireland these days? apart from paddy mccourt and niall mcginn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It all changed in 93 with how the then NI manager acted and the it got worse when Lennon started with Celtic as he was NI captain. You still have the odd catholic player like Paddy McCourt playing for NI.

All you have to do is look at the last manager to see how he did not notice James McClean when he played for Derry in the league of Ireland and as some else said completely ignored the Shamrock Rovers keeper at the same time.

Worthington despised the league of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Was played in 93

It wasn't played in 1993, nor was GSTQ at Landsdowne Road in the same qualifying campaign
    Leroy Lita wrote: »
    is there many catholics actually playing for Northern Ireland these days? apart from paddy mccourt and niall mcginn

In fairness they are reasonably well represented.

Being a Catholic and playing for the North is not an issue. Being a Catholic and expressing nationalist views is the issue.
    Worthington despised the league of Ireland

I don't think despises fully describes it.

There was a thinking for a long time (with some justification) that the Irish League (NI) was on a par or better than the League of Ireland. Results in Europe backed this up )more or less). From the late 90s onwards the LOI has been clearly the better product, higher standards and more competition (6 out of 7 doubles for Linfield ffs compared to Cork, Shamrock Rovers, Drogs, Shels, Bohs, Pats etc).

We now have a situation where playing in the LOI will not get you in the ROI squad, but it definitely IS good enough for the NI team.

I think there is an unwillingness on the IFA (& Worthington) to accept this, that the Republic's league has moved clearly ahead and the IFA setup is continuing to slide.

In other words, they are unable to sort out their own mess and they would denigrate the LOI rather than highlight it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I think we may well see a united Ireland team some day in our lifetime. Probably not for at least another 10 years. I just think the mood in the North is moving away from sectarianism; maybe not in the smaller towns but certainly in bigger cities. Friends and family of mine who are from or who live there don't really identify with either side of the prevailing divide, more with a distinct modern conceptualisation of Northern Ireland that sees itself as being separate from either unionism or nationalism.

For this reason, I predict that in the next few decades the national team will no longer be seen as a partisan vocation, or will no longer be seen as representing a particular side in a sectarian divide. It will simply be seen an avenue to playing in big tournaments. Granted, for many players this is already the case, but it's obviously not just the players who would need to be o.k. with the idea of merging the two teams for it to work.

Therefore, none of this will happen while the ruling organisations or fans have living memories of the troubles, and that's to be expected. But as this generation are gradually replaced with a generation with no first hand experience of what it was like to live in Northern Ireland, or indeed the Republic, during the sectarian conflict, I can see the concept of an All Ireland team becoming less of an issue of one side winning out over the other, but more of both sides moving away from an anachronistic divide, towards a system that provides a better chance of competing against the best teams in the world.

I doubt that it will be under an Irish flag, perhaps an IRFU style mock-up; but I would maintain that it may well happen some day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

PauloMN wrote: »
    Comical. You have no opinion, but you do. You reckon he should get off Twitter. That's your opinion on the whole matter - that McClean should get off Twitter.

How about the idiots sending him messages? You've no opinion on them?

Why am I not surprised..... :rolleyes:

I called them eejits...did you not read my post?

As a Northern Ireland supporter...just like the IFA...I deplore sectarianism.

Do you think I back what the sectarian fools are saying...you are typically ignorant of the opinions of a true Northern Ireland support PaulMN! :rolleyes:

No, it would not happen anyway like they would not play GSTQ in Dublin.

All Ireland team is a silly idea.

Well if you don't support a United Ireland football team of course thats your right. But calling it a "silly idea" is pretty disrespectful of an idea which could go a long way to healing wounds and bringing people together. Sport has a long history of being a great uniter and if a united Ireland football team could help the healing process in Ireland then I think it is well worth pushing for. Never mind the obvious footballing aspect that by pooling the available players together only can enhance the potential for success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Disgracefull stuff, now there are threats to Alan Keane and Gavin Peers ( Sligo Rovers players ).

Action should be taken against the morons that make them, otherwise it will just continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Was played in 93

1:23 into the clip has to be the smiliest face i've ever seen Roy Keane make!! Looks delighted altogether!!

1:23 into the clip has to be the smiliest face i've ever seen Roy Keane make!! Looks delighted altogether!!

Funny I was thinking exactly that myself. Not often you see a grin on his face never mind one that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think we may well see a united Ireland team some day in our lifetime. Probably not for at least another 10 years. I just think the mood in the North is moving away from sectarianism; maybe not in the smaller towns but certainly in bigger cities. Friends and family of mine who are from or who live there don't really identify with either side of the prevailing divide, more with a distinct modern conceptualisation of Northern Ireland that sees itself as being separate from either unionism or nationalism.

For this reason, I predict that in the next few decades the national team will no longer be seen as a partisan vocation, or will no longer be seen as representing a particular side in a sectarian divide. It will simply be seen an avenue to playing in big tournaments. Granted, for many players this is already the case, but it's obviously not just the players who would need to be o.k. with the idea of merging the two teams for it to work.

Therefore, none of this will happen while the ruling organisations or fans have living memories of the troubles, and that's to be expected. But as this generation are gradually replaced with a generation with no first hand experience of what it was like to live in Northern Ireland, or indeed the Republic, during the sectarian conflict, I can see the concept of an All Ireland team becoming less of an issue of one side winning out over the other, but more of both sides moving away from an anachronistic divide, towards a system that provides a better chance of competing against the best teams in the world.

I doubt that it will be under an Irish flag, perhaps an IRFU style mock-up; but I would maintain that it may well happen some day.

Sweet Jesus, I hope your wrong :eek:

Euan O'Kane has become the latest player born in the 6 counties to declare for Ireland. Like McClean he is a Derry native. He has just been included in the Ireland U21 squad for the upcoming matches against Denmark and Italy.

Advertisement