Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bob Marley & Jon Giles - Close Pals

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

vangoz wrote: »
    http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2012/04/26/giles-marley-one-love/

I would love this to be true, but my bridge buying days have well and truly sailed........ saying that, you should never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Ha ha, yeah, Giles was on Ray D'Arcy this morning refuting the story. Said he didn't even like Reggae! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

You have to take each friendship on it's merits there, OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

batm!ke wrote: »
    Ha ha, yeah, Giles was on Ray D'Arcy this morning refuting the story. Said he didn't even like Reggae! :D

It's good music but not great music, Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Maybe he caused Bob's fatal toe injury and he's just feeling guilty. He used to go in hard did Gilesy.

Can somebody please photoshop Gilesy with dreadlocks and a spliff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Said he didn't even like Reggae! :D

He don't like Reggae?
    Oh no?
    He loves it.

• Advertisement

Lumbo wrote: »
    It's good music but not great music, Ray.
    That's Dunphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

The biggest plothole in the story was that Johnny Giles was strolling around in basketball boots(presume high tops) i dunno about you but I just could not in a million years imagine that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Urban myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That's Dunphy.

Dunphy is the King of Making Stuff Up...

Eamon: "Look at Graeme, he won four Champions Leagues."

Graeme Souness: " Three."

Eamon: " He won four league titles."

Souness: "Five."

Dunphy: "It's not bloody Mastermind."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

I never knew Giles lived in Birmingham, isn't it said so many of our supposed "national heroes" call England their home?

isn't it said so many of our supposed "national heroes" call England their home?

Not really, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I never knew Giles lived in Birmingham, isn't it said so many of our supposed "national heroes" call England their home?

I suppose from the time he was 15 he's been living in England so over time its become his home. He's married to Nobby Styles sister as well so that could something to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Ah for fuck sake.. who gives a flying fuck where he lives?

Johnny Giles is a national treasure - one of Ireland's greatest football players ever, a brilliant pundit & an all round true gentleman.

To call him a "supposed national hero" is an outrageous insult.

And who exactly are you, and what exactly have you done to look down on the man in that manner?

Sweet fuck all, I would imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

EdenHazard wrote: »
    The biggest plothole in the story was that Johnny Giles was strolling around in basketball boots(presume high tops) i dunno about you but I just could not in a million years imagine that.

No, the biggest plot hole is that he was on the piss with George Best. He hated George best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Whoever created that rumour must have been trying to stir it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Giles shot the sherrif. But he said it was in self defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Reggae was better back when Giles was young

Young musicians these days don't have the honesty of effort

mikemac1 wrote: »
    the honesty of effort

Was that an intentional anagram for HOE?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Giles never stops banging on about honesty of effort, one of his many habits

That's all

I'm not clever enough to invent anagrams

• Advertisement

I like the way Giles will get up, stand up for his views no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

So....Many....Puns

I'm waiting in vain for it to stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Reggae was better back when Giles was young

Young musicians these days don't have the honesty of effort

That's because they were rockers, the 3rd or 4th generation rude boyz of today would hardly know what musicianship is.. ever see the girls fervently stick their batty in the air to the modern reggae? It's like a declaration "my ass is bigger than this song" pure hedonism with total musical abandon, it's just the beat reminds em of teh riddim of riding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Johnny Giles was convicted of blasting innocent bystanders with a Water Pistol, the rascal
    During his layoff John got bored and became part of the infamous Water Pistol Gang. Along with Man Utd first team regular Shay Brennan, Jimmy Sheils and Wilf McGuinness he drove around Manchester looking for fun.

Giles recalls what happened in his autobiography.

“They say that four men in a car are usually up to no good, and in this case they’d be right. The four of us would go off on a drive and then Jimmy would say, ‘There’s a cranky-looking fellow over there at the bus stop. Pull over.’

Shay would stop the car. Jimmy would ask for directions. He’d make sure to lower his voice in mid-sentence so the person had to lean into the car to hear what he was saying.

As soon as he did, Jimmy would let him have it [with the water pistol], and we’d drive away laughing our heads off.”

The would-be cowboys ended up in court and were bound over to the peace for 12 months.

http://sportsphile.ie/2011/02/01/gunslinger-giles-wont-be-coming-out-of-retirement/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Don't forget moral courage, another Giles favourite. God I love that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I hope this gets put to him during the Euros, by Dumphy or Okey-doke.
    Hopefully they'll all black up and get those hats with dreds, good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

three little birds beside my doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Gilesy used to practice keepy uppey with football sized rocks, in his bare feet

When gilesy stepped up to take a free kick his boots n socks would come off and those behid teh goal would scarper

That's Dunphy.
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The two grumpy auld f'uckers are interchangeable as pundits by now IMO. I don't know much about football but they always make me laugh if I watch them. Apparently some of the guest pundits really enjoy the lack of requirement of niceness and manners etc that there is at Sky, the BBC, Setanta etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Giles was on Ray D'Arcy this morning refuting the story.

He can't run from the truth forever!

Dudess wrote: »
    Six of one, half a dozen of the other. The two grumpy auld f'uckers are interchangeable as pundits by now IMO. I don't know much about football but they always make me laugh if I watch them. Apparently some of the guest pundits really enjoy the lack of requirement of niceness and manners etc that there is at Sky, the BBC, Setanta etc. :)

Of course. Sky have employed people that are mates with alot of the England players. Even without that, there's the 24-7 Sky Sports News, they don't want to fall out with people so they just pussy foot around issues. RTE don't have that, but I don't think the analysis itself is as good as people say. These people drive public opinon and they are think Irish players are better than they truly are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭little swift

jb.png

He can't run from the truth forever!
    Thought it had been established the rumour was a load of Tosh though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

During the last world cup pre match the camera panned to some S African fans dancing and Giles said something along thD lines of "they have a great love for the game, the blacks"

:pac:

Gotta love the lack of the overtly PC nonsense they have in the UK. If a UK pundit said something as non intentionally offensive they would get the boot from the BBC.

I'd say the political correctness in the BBC is unreal! No doubt it's a nice organisation to work for, but you'd have to walk on eggshells - I imagine anyway. Feck that! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement