Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease question

Options
  • 08-05-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I am currently in the 2nd year living in a rented apartment. I originally signed a one year lease, that year has come and gone and the land lord has never mentioned it ... I actually never even see landlord unless I have a problem.

Where do I stand in this situation ? Can I move out at a moments notice ?
    Can I be kicked out at a moments notice ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

For a tenancy gone past 2 years then you will have to give 8 weeks (56 days) notice if you are leaving. If the landlord wants you out he/she will have to give the same courtesy of 8 weeks (56 days) notice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Youre on whats called a part 4 tenancy.

Technically you cannot be asked to leave until you have been there for 4 years (with the exception of a few circumstances such as where the landlord needs the place for a family member or themselves, where they want to redecorate, where the property is no longer suitable for you or in a genuine eviction such as where you break the lease or dont pay the rent). They must give you appropriate notice.

After 2 years you can leave with 56 days notice.

Google Part 4 Tenancy for all the details.

Advertisement