Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hanging Baskets and frost

Options
  • 08-05-2012 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

With the weather so unseasonably cool, is it too early to put out hanging baskets or plants.

I'm keeping them in the shed these past few nights for fear of damaging them....can I leave them out safely.

Edit : Kildare based.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Too cold at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I planted baskets about 3 weeks ago - 4 half baskets, plus a couple of window planters, kept them in at night for first week or 10 days, but they've been outside full time for last 2 weeks, and they're flying. We're in the west, so maybe didn't get the frost and were lucky. Planning to do a few full baskets today...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I have winter pansies in mine over the winter - all going well, a nice bit of colour considering they're in the shade too. Prenderb says it depends on what's in em!

Depends on what's in them and of course the weather. For typical summer plants I would wait and see what the forecast has in store for week after next. Unless you can bring them in at night and also windy cold days.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Put mine out yesterday...but think I may bring in at night(pure pain!) based on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I'm in Kildare and mine are out for weeks. Mainly Pansies, Viola and Marigolds but they are doing well.

Pansies and violas are hardy. Thought marigolds would suffer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 healyon

Ive hung out a few there yesterday, hopefully they will survive and look pretty in a few weeks

Advertisement