Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andre 3000 to play Jimi Hendrix

• 08-05-2012 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

In a role certainly weighted with pressure and expectation, OutKast rapper and sometime thespian Andre 3000 has been cast as the legendary Jimi Hendrix in a biopic titled All Is By My Side, which will begin shooting in Ireland soon.

According to report in ITFN, the film will be set in England during 1966-67, during the period when Hendrix recorded his iconic debut album, Are You Experienced.

John Ridley will direct his own screenplay. His previous credits include penning the scripts for U Turn and Red Tails. He also received story credit for David O. Russell's Three Kings.

Although he's better known for his music, the Grammy-wining Andre Benjamin (aka Andre 3000) has had a few notable turns before the cameras, including performances in the films Semi-Pro, Idlewild and Four Brothers.

"Andre has the musical chops, the artistic sensibility and a devotion to his craft that makes me think he wouldn't take on this iconic role without knowing that he had something deep to offer," said MTV's Gil Kaufman on the rapper's upcoming portrayal of Hendrix. "Plus, as he's proven over and over with his many note-perfect, bulls-eye features on songs since he stopped recording his own albums, when he shoots, he shoots to kill."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/outkasts-andre-3000-to-play-jimi-hendrix-in-biopic-543152

What does everyone think? He has similar looks anyway.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well, he'll certainly look like Jimi thats for sure. Why are they filming in Ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

He can sing, play guitar, looks like him and actually knows about music.. I'm sure he'll be okay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No idea, but they're filming in the Bray Head Inn, which is most definitely the most decrepit, Overlook-esque 'hotel' in the whole of Ireland. Surprised they're letting a crew in, TBH: around these parts its an infamously hostile establishment to all but the singular regular who drinks Guiness there.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

It should be an interesting movie but Will Smith would have been good for the role but my, how he has aged!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

No idea, but they're filming in the Bray Head Inn, which is most definitely the most decrepit, Overlook-esque 'hotel' in the whole of Ireland. Surprised they're letting a crew in, TBH: around these parts its an infamously hostile establishment to all but the singular regular who drinks Guiness there.

It's used all the time for films. Barely a month goes by without something being shot in there.
    It should be an interesting movie but Will Smith would have been good for the role but my, how he has aged!

Will Smith doesn't look anything like Hendrix though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's used all the time for films. Barely a month goes by without something being shot in there.

I know Neil Jordan was down that general area recently, don't know if he shot in the hotel itself but it is a possibility. Think that ****e Sally Hawkins movie from a few years ago may have used it as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Lionel Messy

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Will Smith doesn't look anything like Hendrix though.
    He has the lighter skin, which Andre 3000 doesn't have.

He has the lighter skin, which Andre 3000 doesn't have.

And beyond skin colour the similarity ends....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Lighter skin :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I'd have gone with Lenny Kravitz.

He's spent 20 years perfecting his Jimi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I play the bass and wear glasses, so if the producers need someone to play Noel Redding, they could do worse ... :p

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

He has been in a few films now. He was good enough in Idlewild a few years ago. The music made that film though.

It'll be interesting to see him playing Jimi. He could well pull it off.

I would much prefer if this was cancelled though and he went back to recording another album with Big Boi. Oh and he better do a few gigs while he's over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I know Neil Jordan was down that general area recently, don't know if he shot in the hotel itself but it is a possibility. Think that ****e Sally Hawkins movie from a few years ago may have used it as well.

Did you get to see them shooting at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0509/1224315798568.html
    Bray and Dún Laoghaire will be turned into 1960s London over the next few weeks as filming gets under way on a biopic of legendary guitarist Jimi Hendrix.
    Titled All Is By My Side, the big budget film’s shoot will last six weeks, with many Irish film personnel involved.
    Hendrix, generally regarded as the greatest ever rock guitarist, is being played by rapper Andre 3000 (real name Andre Benjamin), best known for his work with pop act Outkast. Benjamin has previous acting experience.
    The film will cover the time in which Hendrix became an iconic figure in the music world. The film was written and is to be directed by John Ridley – best known for his work on Three Kings and U-Turn.
    All Is By My Side is currently in pre-production in Wicklow and is based at Ardmore Studios. Locations to be used shortly include Bray Head Hotel, a number of nightclubs in Dún Laoghaire, the John Player cigarette factory on the South Circular Road and other locations around South Dublin.
    The film will be co-produced by Irish producer Tristan Orpen Lynch for Dublin production company Subotica Entertainment alongside Donnie Darko director Richard Kelly’s Darko Entertainment and UK-based Matador Productions.

I guess there was an tax incentive to film here

Anyways as said above Andre looks like Hendrix and is quite a talented musician in his own right

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭sue z

anyone know anything about extras needed for the movie? I live in Galway but would defo be up 4 traveling up to Dublin/Wicklow area if cud get involved.
    BIG Jimi Hendrix fan :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm guessing, since Ardmore is involved, you have to register with these guys: http://www.movieextras.ie/register.html

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm guessing, since Ardmore is involved, you have to register with these guys: http://www.movieextras.ie/register.html

Thanks for that, ya I thought it would be through them alright! Shame they wouldnt just advertise for the ordinary Joanne Soap :(

sue z wrote: »
    Thanks for that, ya I thought it would be through them alright! Shame they wouldnt just advertise for the ordinary Joanne Soap :(

I don't see any direct mention on the site of it but yea its annoying you have to pay to register on there and then have no gaurantee you'll get anything.

Did you get to see them shooting at all?

Didn't see much myself but it was all fairly open: I know quite a few people wandered down to the Jordan set to get a look without any hassle. Shouldn't be any problem getting a glance of them in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭smithcity

I saw Andre 3000 in a couple of episodes of The Shield. He can definitely act, so at least it's not doomed from the start.

• Advertisement

Any choice would get stick, but I think he could be pretty good. Gonna try my damnedest to get on set. Will post if any update.

Could be a long time waiting..... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Genius; just as I clicked into this thread my dad changed the channel on the radio and Hey Ya! was on it. :cool:

I think he'd probably do a good job. Interesting story, no doubt.

Gbear wrote: »
    Genius; just as I clicked into this thread my dad changed the channel on the radio and Hey Ya! was on it. :cool:

Hey Joe would have been better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

The Hendrix Estate is apparently not co-operating with this film and without them, no Hendrix music will be allowed to be featured:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/05/andr%C3%A9-3000s-jimi-hendrix-biopic-lacks-estate-support.html

This film needs the original music from Hendrix, if they can't get that then they shouldn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The Hendrix Estate is apparently not co-operating with this film and without them, no Hendrix music will be allowed to be featured:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2012/05/andr%C3%A9-3000s-jimi-hendrix-biopic-lacks-estate-support.html

This film needs the original music from Hendrix, if they can't get that then they shouldn't bother.

Damn. Oh well.

There's been quite a few rock biopics that didn't have the original music in them, generally the lower budget ones. iirc Stoned didn't have Rolling Stones in it, nowhere Boy only had one John Lennon song. Both of those turned put pretty good, particularly Nowhere Boy. Although I'm not happy at the prospect of a Hendrix movie without and Hendrix music in it.

Read that too about the music, but it doesn't rule out the possibility of buying rights to feature the music.. that will prob happen in due time.

Otherwise, yes, no point...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

There's been quite a few rock biopics that didn't have the original music in them, generally the lower budget ones. iirc Stoned didn't have Rolling Stones in it, nowhere Boy only had one John Lennon song. Both of those turned put pretty good, particularly Nowhere Boy. Although I'm not happy at the prospect of a Hendrix movie without and Hendrix music in it.

Considering that the film is apparently "about a man growing up, falling in love and becoming Jimi", I would've imagined that it would follow a similar line to Nowhere Boy, although the same article says that it will take place from 1966-67, when he recorded 'Are You Experienced?'. I can't think of any workarounds for that to work without any of the songs from that album allowed to be featured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Actually the brilliant Control didn't use the lads miming to Joy Division's stuff (my favourite band btw) but instead they learned to play it themselves and it still was fantastic. Atmosphere (used at the end) was the only actual JD track in it as far as I remember, but it wasn't because they couldn't get the music it was a creative decision by the director. They could still make a fine film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

And so castles made of sand...

And so castles made of sand...

They made a Beatles film without Beatles music before and it was alright.

Actually the brilliant Control didn't use the lads miming to Joy Division's stuff (my favourite band btw) but instead they learned to play it themselves and it still was fantastic. Atmosphere (used at the end) was the only actual JD track in it as far as I remember, but it wasn't because they couldn't get the music it was a creative decision by the director. They could still make a fine film.

It's still Joy Division's songs they're using in the film which they would have had to acquire the rights to which is why I didn't mention Control. (The best rock biopic around imho)

They used the same approach for Walk the Line too where pheonix did all the singing himself iirc.

It's still Joy Division's songs they're using in the film which they would have had to acquire the rights to which is why I didn't mention Control. (The best rock biopic around imho)

They used the same approach for Walk the Line too where pheonix did all the singing himself iirc.

Your mistaken Mickeroo, anyone can cover songs or music without the dead persons estates permission, you just have to pay composers rights (much less than costs of actual tracks usage), so there could be miming to playback of cover versions of his actual songs or live playing of his songs by a band with Andre 3000 etc. No actual recordings live or studio of Jimi's work could be used (or artwork) but I think it makes for a fresher film to interpret the music yourself. In general though, rock musician biopics tend to be piss poor, apart from Control I don't think I've ever seen a decent one, The Doors was awful as was Stoned and Last Days (about Kurt Kobain by proxy).

Your mistaken Mickeroo, anyone can cover songs or music without the dead persons estates permission, you just have to pay composers rights, so there could be miming to playback of cover versions of his actual songs or live playing of his songs by a band with Andre 3000 etc. No actual recordings live or studio of Jimi's work could be used (or artwork) but I think it makes for a fresher film to interpret the music yourself. In general though, rock musician biopics tend to be piss poor, apart from Control I don't think I've ever seen a decent one, The Doors was awful as was Stoned and Last Days (about Kurt Kobain by proxy).

24 Hour Party People was pretty excellent too, I think there was some original material used but a lot of it was performed by the actors.

Your mistaken Mickeroo, anyone can cover songs or music without the dead persons estates permission, you just have to pay composers rights (much less than costs of actual tracks usage), so there could be miming to playback of cover versions of his actual songs or live playing of his songs by a band with Andre 3000 etc. No actual recordings live or studio of Jimi's work could be used (or artwork) but I think it makes for a fresher film to interpret the music yourself. In general though, rock musician biopics tend to be piss poor, apart from Control I don't think I've ever seen a decent one, The Doors was awful as was Stoned and Last Days (about Kurt Kobain by proxy).

Ah I see, I did not know that at all! Makes me wonder why more lower budget biopics haven't gone that route.

I quite enjoyed Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'Roll about Ian Dury. Wasn't amazing or anything but decent enough and a good performance from Andy Serkis.

• Advertisement

smithcity wrote: »
    24 Hour Party People was pretty excellent too, I think there was some original material used but a lot of it was performed by the actors.

Yeah Love 24 Hour too, more about a label and its owner than a band biopic though, as you say original tracks were used and when the bands were performing "live" it was often a speeded up version of the original studio recordings with a bit of equalising to get a more reverby "live sound", worked pretty well alright, as with "Digital" here:

Yeah Love 24 Hour too, more about a label and its owner than a band biopic though, as you say original tracks were used and when the bands were performing "live" it was often a speeded up version of the original studio recordings with a bit of equalising to get a more reverby "live sound", worked pretty well alright, as with "Digital" here:

Yeah, I remember I started listening to a lot of Joy Division again after having seen that film a few times and it took a lot of getting used to the different tempo. The original songs felt wrong because I was too used to the covers.

Control and 24 Hour Party People make a great little double bill.

Ah I see, I did not know that at all! Makes me wonder why more lower budget biopics haven't gone that route.

I quite enjoyed Sex and Drugs and Rock'n'Roll about Ian Dury. Wasn't amazing or anything but decent enough and a good performance from Andy Serkis.

Forgot about Sex & Drugs! Actually quite a good picture, Serkis did the vocals himself with the music by the Blockheads themselves, thats why the performance parts of it worked so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Even if they don't allow original music, Andre 3000 is a very talented musician himself, so I don't see why he couldn't simply re-record the tracks himself. If the likes of Joaquin Phoenix can do it, Andre definitely can.

• Advertisement

apparently the first pic of him as Jimi:

IPm0x.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Yeah, Control was fantastic. Love the way the actors playing the band were all dead ringers for the likes of Hooky and Stephen Morris and they did a great job of covering the songs.
    apparently the first pic of him as Jimi:

IPm0x.jpg

Good likeness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

A few more images of him from the set.

andre-hendrix.gif?w=540&h=348

andre-hendrix3.jpg?w=540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

sue z wrote: »
    anyone know anything about extras needed for the movie? I live in Galway but would defo be up 4 traveling up to Dublin/Wicklow area if cud get involved.
    BIG Jimi Hendrix fan :D

Did anyone actually figure about the extras, i was told they were looking for hippyish people with long hair! apart from singing up for the movie extra thing

-=al=- wrote: »
    Did anyone actually figure about the extras, i was told they were looking for hippyish people with long hair! apart from singing up for the movie extra thing

Email a recent pic of yourself to sixtiesextras@gmail.com
    no dyed hair and 60s looking alright.
    still waiting to hear back myself....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Unrelated, but Taylor Hawkins is playing Iggy Pop in a CBGB movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

-=al=- wrote: »

All the infor for the extras is on this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/164206517046171/

Would have gone but I can't get the day off work :mad: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Good few of my mates went along for the extras call. Loads of them in it and one of them was picked out to play George Harrison. Startling likeness when he's in costume...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Wil Smith would have been a shocking choice. Too Hollywood.

I think it could work with Andre. Lenny Kravitz wouldn't have been too bad a choice either but maybe a little old.

Looking really forward to this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement