Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow-Mo Shooters... Are They Dead?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

I'm playing through Stranglehold at the moment. Admittedly, it's not great. It's got what you'd expect- jumping in slow motion and shooting enemies with dual pistols, and veiwing all from a third person perspective- but not a whole lot else. It just made me wonder, what ever happened to the slow-mo shooter genre? There were a few great ones over the years like Max Payne, Wet, and the latest one that I can think of- Vanquish. Sure there were a few dodgy cash-ins like Total Overdose and True Crime: Streets Of LA too, but even those had a bit of fun buried in them.

Where is this genre now though? Has it died out completely, or has it simply slipped under the radar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Max Payne 3 is out this month.

That is one eeeeeeenormus rock you are living under. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Max Payne 3 is out this month.

That is one eeeeeeenormus rock you are living under. :p

Haven't been paying much attention to Max Payne 3. Were they not switching to cover-based mechanics as oppsed to the good auld fashioned diving through the air like you've just been kicked outta The Matrix approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

The F.E.A.R series still does it, but the 1st one was the best. They got progressively worse with each release.

You can still play Slomo TDM on F.E.A.R 1 though :)

Vorrtexx wrote: »
    The F.E.A.R series still does it, but the 1st one was the best. They got progressively worse with each release.

You can still play Slomo TDM on F.E.A.R 1 though :)

Fear was an FPS though, wasn't it? A lot of games chucked the slow-mo in over the years. Hell, even Tony Hawk had a stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

deathrider wrote: »
    I'm playing through Stranglehold at the moment. Admittedly, it's not great. It's got what you'd expect- jumping in slow motion and shooting enemies with dual pistols, and veiwing all from a third person perspective- but not a whole lot else. It just made me wonder, what ever happened to the slow-mo shooter genre? There were a few great ones over the years like Max Payne, Wet, and the latest one that I can think of- Vanquish. Sure there were a few dodgy cash-ins like Total Overdose and True Crime: Streets Of LA too, but even those had a bit of fun buried in them.

Where is this genre now though? Has it died out completely, or has it simply slipped under the radar?

You make this thread on the eve of the biggest slow-mo shooter release in the history of gaming.

Well played sir!! :pac:

On a serious note, Max 3 does have a cover system but it's in addition to all the slow-mo aspects from the previous 2. Looks to be shaping up to be very good tbh.

• Advertisement

I reckon the hype around MAx Payne's new one is because he's been off the scene for so long, as opposed to it being because it's a slow-mo shooter. Ok, then, this probably wasn't the best of times to start this thread, so I'll change up and ask- Do you think there will be a resurgence for this genre now? Also, outside of Mr. Payne's games, does anyone play these any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

it would work well adapted into a hitman game. which it might be in absolution depending on which reports i read.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Was thinking the same as the other lads, the mother of all Slow Mo shooters is out in 2 weeks :pac:! And even though there is cover, R* said it is only for a breather as enemies will destroy your cover or just flank you, the slow mo shoot dodge is the only way to survive. I can't f*cking wait!!!

Advertisement