Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 4.5kw enough to boil my wort

Options
  • 08-05-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi

I have another thread where Im looking for help designing my new brewery.

I got two 4.5kw elements today from amazon and I will have one in my HLT and one in my boil kettle, do i have enough power.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

It should so a lot of systems use 2 2.4kw elements, but it depends on you volume you are using?

Also is your electric up to handling 2 4.5kw draw?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Just saw the new thread, I use a 4.5Kw and its more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TOOYOUNGTODIE

i'm using a keg as my hlt and boil kettle, i will have them wired up to a 32 amp breaker running through a thermostat for a burco boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Mashtun

Technically the 32amp breaker should trip with both of those on the go at the same time, not sure if you will have them on at the same time depends how you go about it. May not trip tho ya never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Yeah it would depend on the derating value of the breaker. It would *eventually* trip with 40A going through it, but that mightn't happen for a period of minutes to hours.

I would also have a concern about the thickness of the wire that is running to the breaker box if it is going to be carrying 9kw for periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Power=Voltage x current
    230Vx32A=7.36kW max

max for a standard 13A is 2.99kW but I have heard of a case of a 4.2kW machine unknowingly running for years on a 13A socket.

When you say 4.5kW elements what was the voltage rating. As 4.5kW designed for 240V will be lower than 4.5kW @230V, it is ~4.13kW its the difference of the squares of the voltages.

I used to have 2x3kW ones with different wiring going to 2 different sockets.

1kW will heat about 10L of water in 1 hour. So 9kW would do 45L in 30mins.

Advertisement