Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do students officially graduate?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I'm wondering about this. Do students officially graduate when they get their exam results, when the exams are finished or only at the grad ceremony in September?

I'm wondering would a person would get their cert form the college, basically and I keep being told different things.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

It coincides with the grad ceremony, although it is also possible to graduate in absentia.

There can be last minute hurdles. One is if you have library books still out or large library fines owing.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Yeah- the Grad Ceremony is the biggie. That's when you will receive your Cert and all that. As has been mentioned- you could encounter problems up until then such as owing the library books or not having paid your fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

Technically you do not graduate until the ceremony in November and all the above mention are true about library fines etc. But as usually you will get your results in June and will be able to apply for graduate jobs etc even tho you haven't officially graduated yet. You can also claim the dole straight after completing your exams. You just need a letter from college stating that you will not be returning etc. so i'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 prescar

redcortina wrote: »
    Technically you do not graduate until the ceremony in November and all the above mention are true about library fines etc. But as usually you will get your results in June and will be able to apply for graduate jobs etc even tho you haven't officially graduated yet. You can also claim the dole straight after completing your exams. You just need a letter from college stating that you will not be returning etc. so i'm told.

How much would you have to have in library finds not to be able to graduate? Just wondering cos I know it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 redcortina

prescar wrote: »
    How much would you have to have in library finds not to be able to graduate? Just wondering cos I know it's true!

I actually don't know what the figures are but id imagine any sum owed would stop you from graduating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I think it is 5 Euro. I do know that very small fines are written off, but fines of 5 Euro or more are pursued.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I think it is 5 Euro. I do know that very small fines are written off, but fines of 5 Euro or more are pursued.

They'll not catch me, not after all the money them printers took off me!

Advertisement