Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifting Weights ?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Anybody know what is the ideal age for lifting weights ? I'm 15 years old ,8 stone ,average height and kinda skinny and I'm wondering if lifting weights would be good for me ?
    I just want to gain some weight aswell ,anyone got any tips ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fitseeker

Most basic advice I can give you to getting bigger is you need to eat more :) You're still growing at fifteen so your body will definitely welcome the extra calories. My advice to you would be to start small, increase the amount you eat, especially protein sources (meat, fish, eggs, milk). As for building muscle I would recommend getting your hands on a set of dumbells to begin with, and also work with your body-weight. There's a plethora of exercises you can start out with at home, be it push-ups, pull ups, dips. This is just general advice anybody can really use.. But I sure wish I'd started back when I was 15 :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Fitseeker wrote: »
    Most basic advice I can give you to getting bigger is you need to eat more :) You're still growing at fifteen so your body will definitely welcome the extra calories. My advice to you would be to start small, increase the amount you eat, especially protein sources (meat, fish, eggs, milk). As for building muscle I would recommend getting your hands on a set of dumbells to begin with, and also work with your body-weight. There's a plethora of exercises you can start out with at home, be it push-ups, pull ups, dips. This is just general advice anybody can really use.. But I sure wish I'd started back when I was 15 :P

Pretty much what he said. Including the "But I sure wish I'd started back when I was 15" cos so do I!! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ColinBassGuy

Fitseeker wrote: »

Thanks for the answer but regarding the part about eating more foods ,I eat A LOT of chicken yet I'm still scrawny ,that doesn't really make sense for me ?
    Also ,any certain amounts of each exercise I should do ? I have 14kg of weights and 2 small bars along with a pull-up bar in my house aswell . Im kinda new to the whole 'working out' stuff :L

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ColinBassGuy

Pretty much what he said. Including the "But I sure wish I'd started back when I was 15" cos so do I!! :o

So 15 is a good age to start then ? Thats pretty good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

I'd suggest learning to squat and deadlift as soon as possible, get a trainer to show you ideally. You will have the mobility to do both well and won't have to spend months stretching like most of people who start lifting in their twenties.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

dragonkin wrote: »
    I'd suggest learning to squat and deadlift as soon as possible, get a trainer to show you ideally. You will have the mobility to do both well and won't have to spend months stretching like most of people who start lifting in their twenties.

You severely over estimate the average teenagers mobility!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Hanley wrote: »
    You severely over estimate the average teenagers mobility!! :D

Definitely.......even in active teenagers its terrible and by the sounds of it the OP isnt very active at the moment. Everyone has to start somewhere though and sooner is always better than later

Id suggest starting with the basic movements with no weight involved. Squat, push up, pull ups. If you are struggling for pull ups, there are a number of ways to do assisted pull ups.

You could then start to vary these exercises by doing split squats or one legged squats, varying leg position for push ups and upping the reps for pull ups

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Fitseeker

Thanks for the answer but regarding the part about eating more foods ,I eat A LOT of chicken yet I'm still scrawny ,that doesn't really make sense for me ?
    Also ,any certain amounts of each exercise I should do ? I have 14kg of weights and 2 small bars along with a pull-up bar in my house aswell . Im kinda new to the whole 'working out' stuff :L

If you're eating alot and still not putting on weight then the easy answer to that is to try eat more! Weigh yourself and write it down, then increase the amount you eat, especially protein, weigh yourself a week later and see if it has increased, if not, eat even more :P Weight gain is simply a calories game, if you consume more than you burn, the excess can be used to build muscle and/or it will be stored as fat.

As said above try working with your body weight for now. Push ups, pull ups and squats are fantastic for building strength at home. Google/youtube the correct form for these to ensure you're doing them correctly. You could start off doing a few sets of each 3 times a week and see how you get on. Record how many you can do before having to stop and see if you can beat that number the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

Anybody know what is the ideal age for lifting weights ? I'm 15 years old ,8 stone ,average height and kinda skinny and I'm wondering if lifting weights would be good for me ?

Alright Kid, what exactly is average height for a 15 year old? Around 5'7"?

Have you done any type of sports, weights, athletics training before?

What's your PE teacher like? That person might be your first and best point of call for reliable advice and encouragement.

The American college for sports medicine (ACSM) and the Canadian society for exercise physiology both endorse the use of resistance training for children. Resistance training generally means weight training. Their rationale is that children and teenagers should be of the age where they can follow instruction, be trusted not to injure themselves by reckless behaviour.

What this means is that there are little, if any physiological reasons why young people shouldn't do weight training. However, lifting heavy weights over your head is dangerous. So it's really really important that you get instruction in technique, supervision of your sessions and a good sensible programme.

However, some people, certainly in my generation anyway, insisted that 'weight training would stunt your growth'. Time for some bro-science. I'll try not bore you too much.

It's fairly well accepted that your potential maximum size (i.e. height) is genetically pre-determined - Tall parents have tall children, small parents have short children. To reach your maximum size you must have adequate nutrition (e.g. enough protein, carbohydrate and fat) adequate rest (8 hours of sleep a night) and free from stress (never get too sick).

The process of growth, converting these raw products into size, is mostly the job of hormones and protein synthesis. People with inadequate growth hormone, or growth hormone receptors will not achieve their max height.

During puberty, usually the final growth spurt takes place. under the influence of estrogens and androgens (e.g. testosterone) the epiphyseal growth plates at the end of your long bones (e.g. your femur) begin to ossify and fuse (convert from a cartilage type substance to a true bone type substance). Once they do that your bones will no grow any longer.

The hormone testosterone increases the rate of protein synthesis, helps you put on muscle mass and makes you bigger, but at certain point causes your bone growth to stop. Also, any injuries to these bone regions can impede their growth causing a premature stop. The theory was that if teenage boys started heavy lifting too early, they'd increase their testosterone production and prematurely close their growth plates. This theory is no longer accepted to being true, nor are the injuries suffered from weight training associated with premature endochrondral ossification.

Anyway, the salient points are:

15 is as good an age as any to start weight/resistance training
    The most important determinant of growth is nutrition and rest
    It is essential you get coaching/instruction/supervision on weight training
    Talk to your PE teacher and your parents about your ideas

Practical advice
    Do a couple of sets of press ups, chin ups, dips and planks every second day
    Run, jump, skip, climb
    Eat your meals
    Drink your milk*
    Take your vitamins

Get someone to show you how to do squat and deadlift
    Do a couple of sets of 12 of these movements
    Never do them without a sensible person in the same room

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think you are mixing up 16 months old with 16 years old ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

well you can follow the guys here and they wont steer you wrong, i just wanted to add that i felt more than a tug of envy, what i wouldnt give to be 15 again and have the chance to start training...well done young man...train hard..and your twenties will be awesome!!!!!;)

Chicken on it's own won't do much. If you really want to pile on weight (and are not overly concerned about diet) get carbs into you. Eat bread, pasta, spuds etc. Bear in mind, your metabolism may slow you down in gaining weight. I have a very fast metabolism and can eat and eat and eat, and not gain weight.

Also, have a look at some of the websites to give you an idea of what exercises to do, eg bodybuilding.com or Men's Health etc, or even Youtube "bicep workout" or "shoulder workout" and you'll get ideas in there too. I found the Active Channel (if you have it) can be good for getting workout tips and exercise ideas from.

Mellor wrote: »
    I think you are mixing up 16 months old with 16 years old ;)

Ok fair enough, I figured 15 year olds were still pretty flexible but obviously the rot sets in early.

Chicken on it's own won't do much. If you really want to pile on weight (and are not overly concerned about diet) get carbs into you. Eat bread, pasta, spuds etc. Bear in mind, your metabolism may slow you down in gaining weight. I have a very fast metabolism and can eat and eat and eat, and not gain weight.

Also, have a look at some of the websites to give you an idea of what exercises to do, eg bodybuilding.com or Men's Health etc, or even Youtube "bicep workout" or "shoulder workout" and you'll get ideas in there too. I found the Active Channel (if you have it) can be good for getting workout tips and exercise ideas from.

I'd seriously suggest reconsidering that diet advice the OP wants to avoid carbs and concentrate on protein if he wants to build muscle. The reason you eat and eat and don't gain weight is because you're eating too many carbs!

OP I suggest not overdoing the biceps and shoulders, concentrate on the back, core and your mobility.

Deadlift, squats, pull ups, hollow rocks, dips (possibly.. depending on your scapular mobility) and bench press is pretty much all you need. I'd suggest going to a (good) trainer so as that you don't end up like a lot of people in the local gym, who exercise the 'cosmetic' muscles and end up with serious muscular imbalances.he'll also be able to show you any mobility problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I'd seriously suggest reconsidering that diet advice the OP wants to avoid carbs and concentrate on protein if he wants to build muscle. The reason you eat and eat and don't gain weight is because you're eating too many carbs!

I'd say it's because he is not eating enough.
    Telling a skinny 15 year old to avoid carbs probably isn't the best course of action to be fair.

OP, post your diet and let's see what you actually eat.

Zamboni wrote: »
    I'd say it's because he is not eating enough.
    Telling a skinny 15 year old to avoid carbs probably isn't the best course of action to be fair.

Why not? Depends on his aerobic activity if he's running marathons it might be a good idea to pile on the carbs otherwise can't see any reason why he would.

Suggest you read 'why we get fat' by Gary Taubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

http://www.bodybuilding.com/
    loads of info here.......
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/proteinshakes.htm
    some brilliant protien shakes here.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

He needs to exercise more and eat more. I mean eat more of everything. Fair enough try and make it healthy foods but sure the odd XL bacon double cheese burger every now and then won't do much harm :D

cc87 wrote: »
    He needs to exercise more and eat more. I mean eat more of everything. Fair enough try and make it healthy foods but sure the odd XL bacon double cheese burger every now and then won't do much harm :D

That's fair enough but he might as well know the best way of going about things. Up to him if he follows that advice or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

That's fair enough but he might as well know the best way of going about things. Up to him if he follows that advice or not.

And the best way is to eat more food and lift weights....NOT exclude a whole macronutrient which would make things much much harder.

• Advertisement

boomtown84 wrote: »
    And the best way is to eat more food and lift weights....NOT exclude a whole macronutrient which would make things much much harder.

I'm not really interested in an argument on this. So I'll finalise my position by saying, don't expect to get big if you're eating lots of carbs instead concentrate on protein. I don't think that is controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭diegowhite

Ye look at what the individual needs, but if he's skinny he probably tolerates carbs well and should get a lot of his calories from that, ye eat lots of protein too and a good bit of healthy fat

Reasons to eat a big portion of your calories from carbs
    they are cheap
    easy to prepare
    easy to digest
    good energy source

The cheap one being a big one cos he likely will need a lot of calories to get big, not just a lot of protein. Why waste your money on an expensive energy source ie. protein and instead use the carbs for energy and the protein for musle building?

Dragonkin, don't know why your against carbs but pretty much the biggest guys out there eat a large portion of their calories from carbs and I would expect to get big from lots of carbs, I did it, thousands of others did too :)

(carbs written too many times above sorry )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Why not? Depends on his aerobic activity if he's running marathons it might be a good idea to pile on the carbs otherwise can't see any reason why he would.

I've read it. It a lovely read.
    Now back to the point.

You are telling a skinny 15 year old to avoid carbohydrate when you have no information on his either his activity levels or diet.
    You've put on the no carb goggles and have forgotten context.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

I'm normally better spoken than this but...

Shut up the lot of you with yer ****e you're confusing the lad.

OP read UL Heart Throb's post and put the rest on ignore. Everything you need right now is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

You need to eat the size you want to be not the size you are

pressups or bench press won't give you a chest nor will pullups or curls give you arms unless you eat enough.

http://www.70sbig.com/food/
    There are hundreds of books, articles, and blogs out there that discuss this crap. We’re not going there. But here is a simple guide to macros. It is not completely technically correct, but it gives you an idea about the concepts. Protein is for building and maintaining muscle mass, carbohydrates fuel your efforts, and fat fuels your recovery. If you’re falling behind in any of these areas, increase the appropriate macro.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

I know i'm repeating a lot of what was said before but OP, simple solution to being scrawny, eat more! I know when I was 15 I had difficulty getting good food since I was living at home and my mother bought and cooked all the food. Just try and eat more! As long as you're lifting heavy you'll be grand!

Get a trainer to show you how to do a lot of compound lifts like squatting, deadlifting and other compound exercises. If you know any hurling, football or rugby players around your area they might be worth a shout, not as good as a full time trainer but money for a trainer is hard to come by when you're 15.

One thing I will say that I tell every young lad that I see in the gym killing themselves with weight that's to heavy for them, because they're young and a majority think they're invincible, 'take your time, results won't come if you crush yourself with a barbell that's too heavy'

UL_heart_throb put up a great post, I suggest you follow that as Barry also said.

diegowhite wrote: »
    Ye look at what the individual needs, but if he's skinny he probably tolerates carbs well and should get a lot of his calories from that, ye eat lots of protein too and a good bit of healthy fat

That's kinda what I was getting at but you said it better. Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

HEY GUYS!!!

Lets all show how much we know in theory and ignore how to apply it in real life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Hanley wrote: »
    HEY GUYS!!!

Lets all show how much we know in theory and ignore how to apply it in real life.

Sorry what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I suggust read something else for a different approach.
    Maybe with a balanced opinion, you might learn to understand the need for a balanced diet

Advertisement