Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resources for Higher-Ability Students

• 08-05-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

[SECONDARY SCHOOL]

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there would be anyone who knows of resources for higher ability students that are available online? We are looking at targeting those students who on entering the school show a higher ability than their peers. We aim to target them in hope of increasing academic standards within the school as a whole. If anybody would have any advice/information or even links to check out with regards to this I would be eternally grateful. Specifically Maths & Science resources but anything would really do.

Thanks in advance. Secondary school by the way! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary or secondary?Outside the box near Naas sell many helpful books for exceptionally able children. Are you familar with Scratch?Lure of the Labyrinth?Check out missionv.ie too.
    It's an area of huge interest to me,so if I can be of any use, please shout. (Primary Learning Support)
    www.giftedkids.ie has a great load of info and the forum is excellent there.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Primary or secondary?Outside the box near Naas sell many helpful books for exceptionally able children. Are you familar with Scratch?Lure of the Labyrinth?Check out missionv.ie too.
    It's an area of huge interest to me,so if I can be of any use, please shout. (Primary Learning Support)
    www.giftedkids.ie has a great load of info and the forum is excellent there.

Thanks so much! It's secondary school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I know tes.co.uk sent me an add a while ago about higher ability resources. It's hard to manouvre around their site, I tend to google something and stick 'tes' at the end of it and get it that way. Mightn't be a lot of use. I'd advise coming up with your own programme. You'll probably be able to do it better than anything you'll find. Tes might suffice for ideas anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Scratch would be worth having a look at for up to juniorcert it's used in CTYI too.
    www.scratch.ie

Maths Olympiad
    http://www.irmo.ie/

http://www.schooldays.ie/articles-teacher/school-competitions
    Some competitions here for starters. The Young Scientist is the obvious one.

There was pilot project for exceptionally able students in Mounthawk in Tralee, I think, maybe someone there might be able to give you some good suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

There was pilot project for exceptionally able students in Mounthawk in Tralee, I think, maybe someone there might be able to give you some good suggestions?

We had an inservice specifically to do with gifted students as there was a push on this in our school a couple of years ago.
    Off the top of my head I think it was from the SLSS or someone like that (or possibly the SDTP or whatever its called these days I can't remember)

I will have a look tomorrow on the laptop to see who made the resources as I know we were e mailed stuff after the presentation.

It was secondary based but worked across a number of subjects from what I remember. (It was CP hours late in the evening after a long day not sure it all went in the more I try to remember about it, just goes to show)

Seavill, might it have been the SESS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Seavill, might it have been the SESS?

Yea that could be it actually now that you say it. I know their logo was on the bottom of the powerpoint slides so once I find them I will know but I'd say you are right.

Advertisement