Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worked 4 years, one weeks notice, no holiday pay, no redundancy

Options
  • 08-05-2012 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, long time poster, decided to go anon for this.

As above. I was made redundant coming two weeks now. I've been with the company 4 years and was informed that my contract will be terminated in one weeks time (last Friday). Of course at this point I'm already seriously pissed off with one week's notice when 2 weeks is a legal entitlement.

Following my final weeks pay, and my final day working there, I received my standards weeks pay. I received only section A of an RP50, no letter notice that I was being made redundant, no P45 (granted that may arrive this week), and no sign of holiday pay in sight. According to citizens information I am due almost 1000 euro in unclaimed holiday pay (I had planned a long holiday in the Summer but now obviously has been sidetracked).

Following on from this he has made it abundantly clear that he cannot afford my redundancy. However he will not pay me the second week's notice nor the holiday pay. The shop closed on the Saturday.

Now to rub more salt into my wounds I received a phonecall this morning with him offering me to work for another week or so, telling me that I DESERVE it. At this point I felt like choking his neck. He had a change of heart on closing the shop and basically is keeping it open, advertising signs that the business is selling as a concern. There was 2 of us working up until last week and basically he doesn't know how to run the shop without us.

Needless to say with the such short notice he gave us, I have cancelled my lease on my apartment, cancelled my bills and moved home. I rejected his 'offer' to me. I rang him up this afternoon stating I wanted to sit down and meet him tomorrow, demanding my week's notice, a properly filled out redundancy form AND a letter of notice of contract termination, so I can get myself on the JSB instead of waiting around for my P45. He was hesitant but agreed.

So basically what I ask is, what should I be saying to him tomorrow? My mind is a complete mess. And can anything be done about my due pay, including holiday pay? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Visit Citizen's Information for some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

AND a letter of notice of contract termination, so I can get myself on the JSB instead of waiting around for my P45.

Just on this part, you don't have to wait for your P45 to make your claim for JSB. You should present yourself at the social welfare office on your first day unemployed.
    Any docs not available can be brought in later, but they don't have to backdate a claim if you wait to have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was turned down at social welfare after showing up with half a redundancy form. It was also photocopied and they requested it be done in blue ink. I've just lost a possible week's welfare because of the welfare and especially the boss's inabilty to manage his affairs. I went into the shop this morning with the employee and we staged a sit in, we refused to leave the premises until he signed the statement of what we were owed, and for him to fill in all required forms correctly.

He refused to sign the statement, but he went off to the accountant today and is apparently sorting everything out. I'm still in the shop, with barely a cent to my name. He just phoned me a half hour ago, he'll be in in about a half hour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You can go to a Rights Commissioner for the unpaid wages and holiday pay. Appeal the Social Protection refusal within the department.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Appeal the Social Protection refusal within the department.

+1, that should definitely be appealed.

Ask Citizen's Information for help gettng things sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement