Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat Detection Scratch Cards

• 08-05-2012 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Any body use these? as opposed to the Patches (which burst when pressure applied) these are like scratch cards that scratch off when the animal is mounted.
    You can get 10 for €11.10 on Magenta Direct - where as you get 40 of the patches for €70 (big price difference)
    My only concern is, I know the patches are easy enough to stick on - they are self adhesive. But as far as i know, the scratch cards have to be applied different, the glue needs to be activated before applying...so they have to be individually heated up before stuck on.. which can be time consuming? How do you heat yours? Would a quick rub in between your hands be enough to melt the glue?

Anybody have any input on this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

There was a thread on this here recently I think. We use Estrotect "scratch cards" on the bulling heifers and they work very well. The glue has to be heated up to work right. I usually hold one of them against the side of the kettle for a minute or so, that seems to do the trick. Never tried them on the cows, I'm told they rub the patches off altogether. Google "Violet Nevin Estrotect" if you're looking to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

theroad wrote: »
    There was a thread on this here recently I think. We use Estrotect "scratch cards" on the bulling heifers and they work very well. The glue has to be heated up to work right. I usually hold one of them against the side of the kettle for a minute or so, that seems to do the trick. Never tried them on the cows, I'm told they rub the patches off altogether. Google "Violet Nevin Estrotect" if you're looking to buy.
    Thanks for your answer.
    I can see that magenta have the estrotech ones alright. We used the ambic patches, but just saw that ambic now have the scratch cards too, so was wondering were they worth it. Heating them in the kettle isn't really an option for us as they will be applied when they are in for milking.
    Do you not think they are suitable for cows then?
    I did a boards search for scratch cards and couldn't find that other thread, if you have a link I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I've used the scratch cards a number of years ago. I can't recall how I heated them up, but they were easy to apply and stayed on well.
    The issue I had with them was knowing when a cow was actually bulling, some were obvious and others has some scratching on them, which led to more confusion than anything.
    Overhanging hedging where cattle routinely scratch play havoc.

They are small money, give them a go and see how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭theroad

Here it is. I'm obviously losing my mind, it was over a year ago.

I never used the scratch cards on the cows, just the kamar-type patches. Best bet is to try a few and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

they dont work too well if the cow has longish hair.

also as somebody said, scratching against overhanging branches is a problem.

I just put the pack under my Tshirt and used my body heat.

other option is to fill a 500ml water bottel with hot water

Kamer type patches work better IMO but the scratch cards are still better than no aid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

they dont work too well if the cow has longish hair.

also as somebody said, scratching against overhanging branches is a problem.

I just put the pack under my Tshirt and used my body heat.

other option is to fill a 500ml water bottel with hot water

Kamer type patches work better IMO but the scratch cards are still better than no aid

I used Kamer also and found them very good, glue came in a seperate tube which you applied first and then put the patch on the glue, no need messing about trying to heat something up, and when they are stuck they are stuck they definately are stuck as I have seeing trying to get them back off when used!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I use scratch cards on the cows all the time and fine them cheap and reliable. I stick each patch under my arm for a minute to heat them. Bushes dont cause a false heat. It may remove some of the paint but a cow is only shown in heat when the scratch card is completely scratched. Used kamar patches in the past but scratch cards are much better, show less false heats and are much cheaper and easier to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭johnpawl

lads i must be stupid or something, but i cant get the check mate to stick. Put a few on yest, some i put straight on, some I dipped in hot water, They're all peeling off today. What's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Find them great on heifers , using for few years. Heat them on a glass bottle with hot water in it, sock over it to hold them. Can see them 20 -30 yards away. Found had to be standing right behind heifer to see bubble type + some half bled. Why does that happen? Happy with paint for cows

Advertisement