Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unable to watch Channel 4 4od player with Eircom broadband

Options
  • 08-05-2012 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there,

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm with Eircom broadband and for the last couple of months have been unable to access Channel 4 4Od player. I assumed there was a problem with Channel 4 itself but I contacted them and turns out it's something to do with Eircom's broadband settings...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to eircom forum.

I always thought that 4OD only worked if you had a UK IP address.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Works fine for me on Eircom. I do use Googles DNS Servers although that shouldn't really matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

If you are using a netopia modem (silver colour) then call tech support

There is an update they can do to the modem that will fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Baneblade wrote: »
    If you are using a netopia modem (silver colour) then call tech support

There is an update they can do to the modem that will fix it

Cheers, its a netopia box alright but its purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I had the same problems on Eircom constantly said failed to play video.

Works fine on Three's 3G network tough seems like an Eircom problem to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Eod100 wrote: »
    Cheers, its a netopia box alright but its purple.

Hi Eod100

We have not had issues with the Netopia accessing 4od. Can you still not access the service?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Eod100

We have not had issues with the Netopia accessing 4od. Can you still not access the service?

Thanks, Mark

Hi,

Still unable to access 4OD.

Here's the email I received from Channel 4 about it :

''Thank you for your email regarding 4oD.

We are aware of and have been investigating some play back issues with Eircom customers. Unfortunately we have been unable to identify any issue with our own infrastructure that would cause this problem.

This would lead us to believe that there is an issue with some some of Eircom's DNS settings. We would advise you contact Eircom regarding this as it is their server that is failing to connect to our server.

A work-around for this problem is for Eircom customers to use the Google DNS service at 8.8.8.8. however we would advise contacting them on how to do this, however if you feel proficient enough with technology to try this yourself more information can be found below.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html ''

Hi,

Still unable to access 4OD.

Here's the email I received from Channel 4 about it :

''Thank you for your email regarding 4oD.

We are aware of and have been investigating some play back issues with Eircom customers. Unfortunately we have been unable to identify any issue with our own infrastructure that would cause this problem.

This would lead us to believe that there is an issue with some some of Eircom's DNS settings. We would advise you contact Eircom regarding this as it is their server that is failing to connect to our server.

A work-around for this problem is for Eircom customers to use the Google DNS service at 8.8.8.8. however we would advise contacting them on how to do this, however if you feel proficient enough with technology to try this yourself more information can be found below.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html ''

Hi Eod100,

Can you PM me with your telephone nuber and e-mail address please?

Thanks, Mark

The change to the modem settings has to be done through telnet, there is no option on the web interface. if you are comfortable doing this yourself i can send you what you need to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

The change to the modem settings has to be done through telnet, there is no option on the web interface. if you are comfortable doing this yourself i can send you what you need to do

That's incorrect.

On both the silver netopia (2247) and blue/purple netopia (3347) you can put the DNS settings directly into the modem via web interface.

1. Go to 192.168.1.254
    2. Click on "Expert Mode". Click Yes.
    3. Click "Configure" then "Connection".
    4. Input the DNS settings into the "Primary DNS" and "Secondary DNS" boxs.
    5. Hit save changes. Let the modem restart.

The DNS has now been changed.

• Advertisement

thats just to change the dns settings on the modem

to turn off the feature that that is causing the problem with 4od it has to be done through telnet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

thats just to change the dns settings on the modem

to turn off the feature that that is causing the problem with 4od it has to be done through telnet

I assumed it was just an issue with the Eircom DNS servers since it works fine once the DNS is changed.

Could you PM me the instructions please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Decky1888

Had this issue on my iPad also with 4OD not working on eircom wifi, I was able to change the DNS setting to 8.8.8.8 and this has done the trick

Is there any downside to doing this ? Is security of the device lowered etc?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

No there isn't. In fact if you change it to OpenDNS it can block URLs and do web filtering. Big corporate companies trust these. It will generally make your connection faster as most of your neighbours would be using eircom's dns.

I tried putting 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS server but a message came up saying : ''8.8.8.8 was entered for an IP Address. Please reenter.''

Have I done something wrong?

I tried putting 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS server but a message came up saying : ''8.8.8.8 was entered for an IP Address. Please reenter.''

Have I done something wrong?

Hi Eod100,

can you go through the 4od set up / tips page - http://bit.ly/Hdmbwl

On the eircom forum and let me know if that helps?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Eod100,

can you go through the 4od set up / tips page - http://bit.ly/Hdmbwl

On the eircom forum and let me know if that helps?

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Is there any other solution?

I tried this before and lost my internet connection and had to ring an eircom technician to restore it so don't really fancy doing this again..

Or if it's a problem with the Eircom settings itself (which it seems to be), is there any way Eircom could fix its own settings as opposed to asking customers to do it?

Hi Mark,

Is there any other solution?

I tried this before and lost my internet connection and had to ring an eircom technician to restore it so don't really fancy doing this again..

Or if it's a problem with the Eircom settings itself (which it seems to be), is there any way Eircom could fix its own settings as opposed to asking customers to do it?

Hi Eod100,

Our broadband support team will go through the set up with you and hopefully should be able to try and get 4Od up and running.

Can you give them a call on 1890 260 260 and let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement