Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chicken Curry recipe

Options
  • 08-05-2012 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a simple chicken curry, not sure if I want indian/thai etc. I'll try any type.

I don't want anything that has a sweet or fruity taste. I'd like to make it from scratch, so no shop bought pastes, mixes etc.

I'll be making it for 2-3 people.

I was thinking of trying this recipe http://www.independent.ie/health/diet-fitness/a-simple-chicken-curryno-worries-1286844.html as I have most of the ingredients but as I've never made a curry before and haven't had it many times, I wasn't sure if this recipe would have much flavour, or if I'd need a recipe with more ingredients etc.

I'd really appreciate some recipes suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,433 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

There are a few in the Cooking Club. They generally involve DIY pastes/mixes rather than shop bought stuff and other posters have tried them/can help with questions.

This one's also worth a go.

I'd recommend this thread from the Cooking Club for Indian Curries anyways:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056521427

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Thai Green Curry - From Jamie Oliver 30 min meals

2 stalks of lemongrass
    1 fresh red chilli
    2 cloves of garlic
    4 kaffir lime leaves
    A bunch of fresh coriander
    2 jarred red peppers in oil (or, I've used 1 fresh bell pepper and its been fine)
    1 heaped tsp tomato puree
    1tbsp fish sauce
    2tbsp soy sauce
    1tsp sesame oil
    2cm (¾in) piece of fresh ginger

2-3 breasts of chicken
    1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
    200g (7oz) sugar snap peas or mangetout
    packet of baby corn
    small tub of cherry tomatoes

Put everything from the first list into a blender and whizz until its a smooth paste/liquid.
    chop chicken and fry in a little oil until golden. Add paste, and cook gently.
    turn down heat to a slow simmer and add in tin of coconut milk.
    once the chicken is cooked, add in babycorn and mangetout. put on rice. about 5 mins before serving up, add in the cherry tomatoes to the sauce.

This recipie is so simple once you have all the ingredients - I make the paste in bulk then freeze the extra portions of the sauce - so if I quadruple it up, I freeze 3 equal portions and use the 4th. Then on nights where I CBATC (cant be arsed to cook) its a matter of tossing in the paste, meat, coconut milk and veggies in one pan and rice in another. Proper thai curry in 10 mins :)

I'm going to try his green thai curry next!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Heres another firm favourite in the Neyite household - My sis got it off a tv programme and didnt catch the name of the dish so she doesnt know if its a proper curry or what, but all I can say is it is fecking delicious!

1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
    1 teaspoon Tumeric Powder
    half teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Hot Chilli Powder
    1 fresh Green Chilli, Chopped finely.

1 Med Onion
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin coconut milk
    2-3 breasts of chicken

Chop onion, fry in a little butter or oil until slightly softened.
    Add spices for a few mins to cook
    Add tin of tomatoes and simmer for 5 mins. Turn down heat to a gentle simmer.
    Add tin of coconut milk (if its separated, you can drain off some of the coconut water and only add the cream of the coconut, it makes the sauce less runny)
    Chop and add chicken to the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 mins.
    Put on rice.

I gave this recepie to a friend and she also added garlic and ginger, and veggies. Its the kind of basic sauce that you could add anything to, but is still delicious on its own too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks so much guys, loads of lovely looking recipes to try out.

Neyite, your second recipe from the TV Show, is it very hot?

• Advertisement

Thanks so much guys, loads of lovely looking recipes to try out.

Neyite, your second recipe from the TV Show, is it very hot?

Its got a bit of heat all right, but I'd equate it with a regular curry from a chinese or slightly hotter if you get me. Its not vindaloo hot.:)

You could always start with half a green chilli if you prefer and taste the sauce before you put in the raw chicken, and add the rest of the green chilli if you think you would like more heat.

Neyite wrote: »
    Its got a bit of heat all right, but I'd equate it with a regular curry from a chinese or slightly hotter if you get me. Its not vindaloo hot.:)

You could always start with half a green chilli if you prefer and taste the sauce before you put in the raw chicken, and add the rest of the green chilli if you think you would like more heat.
    Thanks so much for your help.

I'll try the recipe tomorrow and let you know how I get on. :)

Just went to make this as I have all the ingredients bar coriander, and I can't find the curry powder. :rolleyes:

Could I use garam masala?

I have a load of spices in the press, can I use any of them?

The spices/ingredients I have are

Garam Masala / cayenne chilli powder, paprika, ground cumin, ground almonds, mild chilli powder, dried crushed chllies, cajun, nutmet, coriander seed, chinese five spice, garlic powder, piri piri, mustard powder, rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano, black pepper, sea salt, cloves, desiccated coconut, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, tomato purée, vegetable oil, olive oil, groundnut oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger.

I'd really appreciate any help.

Neyite wrote: »
    Heres another firm favourite in the Neyite household - My sis got it off a tv programme and didnt catch the name of the dish so she doesnt know if its a proper curry or what, but all I can say is it is fecking delicious!

1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
    1 teaspoon Tumeric Powder
    half teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Hot Chilli Powder
    1 fresh Green Chilli, Chopped finely.

1 Med Onion
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 tin coconut milk
    2-3 breasts of chicken

Chop onion, fry in a little butter or oil until slightly softened.
    Add spices for a few mins to cook
    Add tin of tomatoes and simmer for 5 mins. Turn down heat to a gentle simmer.
    Add tin of coconut milk (if its separated, you can drain off some of the coconut water and only add the cream of the coconut, it makes the sauce less runny)
    Chop and add chicken to the sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 mins.
    Put on rice.

I gave this recepie to a friend and she also added garlic and ginger, and veggies. Its the kind of basic sauce that you could add anything to, but is still delicious on its own too.

I made this last night and while it was lovely, it wasn't for me.

It was quite like a Korma I thought.

Like your friend, I added garlic and ginger and some fresh coriander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made this last night and while it was lovely, it wasn't for me.

If you're looking for an 'old-fashioned' tasty curry you should try my recipe, everyone who tries it loves it. (Just don't tell Neuro-Praxis or she'll shout at me, lol, because I shove this recipe at everyone!)

4 boneless chicken breasts (one per person), cut into cubes
    3-4 medium onions
    1 Large carrot or 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced
    1-2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
    3 tablespoons of medium curry powder (I use Sharwoods)
    Three quarters of a pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 Tablespoon of mango chutney
    1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon of tomato purée
    Oil for frying

Fry the onion and carrot or pepper in oil over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then turn up the heat and add the chicken and fry until sealed.
    Turn the heat down low and add the curry powder, cook for a few minutes. Then add the stock and stir well. Add the chutney, tomato puree and lemon juice and bring back to the boil. Simmer for around ½ hour.
    Serve with a dollop of mango chutney on the side.

• Advertisement

If you're looking for an 'old-fashioned' tasty curry you should try my recipe, everyone who tries it loves it. (Just don't tell Neuro-Praxis or she'll shout at me, lol, because I shove this recipe at everyone!)

3-4 medium onions
    1 chicken stock cube
    Oil for frying

Fry the onion and carrot or pepper in oil over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then turn up the heat and add the chicken and fry until sealed.
    Turn the heat down low and add the curry powder, cook for a few minutes. Then add the stock and stir well. Add the chutney, tomato puree and lemon juice and bring back to the boil. Simmer for around ½ hour.
    Thanks so much Dizzy, is it sweet with the mango and lemon though?

Is shop bought chutney OK to use?

I made this one yesterday and it was horrid, brown liquid with lump of chicken is all it is.

http://fullbellies.blogspot.com/2009/03/slow-cooker-chinese-chicken-curry.html

Granted, I used chicken fillets instead of breasts as that was all I had in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Is shop bought chutney OK to use?

The chutney is sweet and the lemon juice is bitter so they cancel each other out, though they give a lovely flavour to the curry.
    I always use shop bought mango chutney, Sharwoods or Aldi's own one.

That other curry doesn't look great at all.

The chutney is sweet and the lemon juice is bitter so they cancel each other out, though they give a lovely flavour to the curry.
    I always use shop bought mango chutney, Sharwoods or Aldi's own one.

That other curry doesn't look great at all.
    Thanks so much Dizzy, I'll give you recipe a try next week and let you know how I get on.

Do I have to use chicken breasts? All I have at the moment is oyster chicken thighs on a bone, can they be used? Obviously I would take the meat off the bone first and then chop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Yes. They would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Curry is a difficult one to truly make from scratch if you haven't a real taste for spices. Also, I'd try to avoid any recipe that uses "curry powder" if you want a really authentic curry.

I'd recommend looking for recipes by Atul Kochar. While his recipes are complicated and take a lot of time they are always fantastic and usually worth the labour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

:pac:

I KNEW you'd be volunteering this recipe!

You know what...I am gonna have to make it! Destiny is drawing me and this curry recipe together. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Do I have to use chicken breasts? All I have at the moment is oyster chicken thighs on a bone, can they be used? Obviously I would take the meat off the bone first and then chop it.

Thighs are far better then breast, they have better flavour, texture and are more moist.

Leave some on the bone. The bone gives a great flavour the the sauce. If you dont leave them on the bone then put the bones in when cooking and just dont serve them.

:pac:

I KNEW you'd be volunteering this recipe!

You know what...I am gonna have to make it! Destiny is drawing me and this curry recipe together. :D

Haha, I knew it was only a matter of time before you found me out! I can't believe you haven't tried it yet :eek:

Am hoping to try this recipe this week, how many servings would I get the amounts given? I am looking to make one or two portions.

3-4 medium onions
    1 chicken stock cube
    Oil for frying

Am hoping to try this recipe this week, how many servings would I get the amounts given? I am looking to make one or two portions.

With the amounts given you'd get 4-5 portions. If you just want to make 2, put in 2 only chicken fillets and only 2 tablespoons of curry powder. Halve the amount of veg, but the chutney, lemon juice, puree and water/stock cube would stay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

I make a Jamie Oliver one every week but instead of it being vegetarian (as his is) I use chicken. This always goes down well on a Friday night with a glass of vino.

To make the paste:

1 finely sliced green chilli (I use medium sized-small ones will be very hot)
    2 cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    2 tbsps tomato puree
    2 tbsps sunflower oil
    1 tsp brown mustard seeds
    1 tsp coriander seeds
    2 tsps cumin seeds

1) In a dry pan, gently toast the seeds for about three-four minutes, then put them in a blender with the rest of the ingredients.
    2) Blend everything until you have a smooth paste.
    Set aside.

For the curry

2 chicken breast fillets, cut into chunks
    1 onion, diced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 red pepper, cut into chunks
    1 green pepper, cut into chunks
    1 tin of mixed beans or chickpeas
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 finely sliced red chilli
    3 tbsps balsamic vinegar
    Salt and pepper

1) Add a tbsp of sunflower oil to a large pan and gently cook the onion, garlic and chilli until golden and softened.
    2) Add the chicken and then the curry paste, coating the chicken thoroughly. Next put in the peppers, tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, mixed beans and salt & pepper and stir everything.
    3) Pour in a little water (100ml) and bring to the boil. Reduce and simmer, covering the pan with a lid if you have one.
    4) Cook for 40 mins until the sauce has thickened and serve with rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Hi, for theveggie version of that curry does Jamie Oliver add any different veggies or did you just add chicken to his

Thanks

M

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭yellowtrout

molly09 wrote: »
    Hi, for theveggie version of that curry does Jamie Oliver add any different veggies or did you just add chicken to his

Thanks

M

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/curry-recipes/vegetable-jelfrazi

Here's the recipe..note he uses jarred paste which is fine-I just like making my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Ah thaank you, I am going to use your paste, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

this was tasty

fried 3 tbsp sharwoods medium curry powder in oil (seperate pot to ensure no grit)
    fried 2 onions til soft then added 2 garlic and 1 spoon ginger and fry for 1 min
    add 2 chopped chicken breasts and fried for few mins
    add curry from other pot ,1 can plum peeled tomatos ,1 pint stock, peppers ,sugar and salt and simmer for 1 hour
    boiled mushroom in seperate pot and add
    used some cornflour / water mix to thicken

curry.jpg

I'm making this now, and it's quite watery, would it be OK to add plain/cream flour to thicken it up a wee bit?

Also, when adding frozen veg, should I cook them separately, or add them in for the last 5-6 mins?

3-4 medium onions
    1 chicken stock cube
    Oil for frying

I just saw this now.

I'd throw the frozen veg in for the last 5-6 minutes as you said. The sauce usually reduces and thickens enough but it's no harm to thicken it if you like.
    Hope it turned out ok :)

I just saw this now.

I'd throw the frozen veg in for the last 5-6 minutes as you said. The sauce usually reduces and thickens enough but it's no harm to thicken it if you like.
    Hope it turned out ok :)
    I'll cook some veg tomorrow and throw them in when I heat it up.

It tastes nice, even though it's a wee bit watery, I might throw in a small amount of cream flour just to thicken it up a bit.

I have only had a teaspoon of it so far, so will let you know tomorrow when I have a proper serving of it. :)

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement