Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to allow someone else to make a website for you if it's business related?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 5:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭

I was on yahoo answers asking a simple question in relation to making and selling from a website, when i returned to the answers one of them left their email and asked me to contact them saying they'd help me.

After contacting him he told me he needs to help people now for free for his future portfolio of something. So if this is true then good, but could it be a scam or is there anything i should worried about? The chap is from India apparently.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

So he's basically offering to design a website for you at no charge?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

Well i'm only wondering could there be a catch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Corsica Nazione

You'll have to use your judgement, but please bare in mind this is not uncommon.

Indeed, depending on what you need done, I would consider doing it for free also, except for hosting costs etc. I have done many a website for free to bring more customers and to build a portfolio.

If you want to kill two birds with the one stone you could PM me what you are looking to get done. If I can't do it I will give you tips on how to keep yourself safe and secure should you let the other individual build your site.

In all, I would say 99% you have nothing to worry about.

EDIT: I just seen "India". This just makes things more complicated due to distance. I have worked with freelance people from India, I would say the bulk of them are sound and work for less money than we would here. Some drop off the map too, but that happens everywhere.

The problem might arise when you wan't to customise the website and you cannot get a hold of your contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Is there any chance you would not own the design of the website once finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Corsica Nazione

harney wrote: »
    Is there any chance you would not own the design of the website once finished?

Technically I suppose the OP would be relying on the designer to make changes etc, but not necessarily own it. But its keeping the site live and making the changes when desired is whats important.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭ByronB

Yea you see i need something that i can make changes to at anytime, is it difficult if someone else makes your website? Or can you work it that you still have full control?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

If you are going for it, you should;

1. Ask him to develop it on his own server, according to your design specs.
    2. Preferrably design it in an easy to use content management system such as Wordpress, and provide you with the login details.
    3. Once complete, transfer to your own domain/server

If he's genuine he shouldn't have a problem with the above, and you aren't tied in to him in any way.

Advertisement