Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Having worked in Lidl, you were only allowed a half hour break at max so you didn't have much time to eat and were forced to eat from the delights of the shop.

Desperately, one day I bought the microwaveable donor kebabs. Tasted like dried out rubbish.

You should look into this new invention called packed lunches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I don't buy their breakfast cereal stuff. It always turns into a a paste-like mush that is a total turn off and tastes rotten anyway, in the mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Biggins wrote: »
    I don't buy their breakfast cereal stuff. It always turns into a a paste-like mush that is a total turn off and tastes rotten anyway, in the mouth.

As opposed to........?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

somefeen wrote: »
    As opposed to........?:confused:

:D

I'll leave that to your imagination! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seanchai wrote: »
    I enjoy both. Far fewer Union Jacks emblazoned on all the products in Lidl or Aldi. Far less rabble-rousing nationalistic shít (wrong country, arseholes!) - in fact, I've never seen it - in either store compared to Tesco and M&S.

The British retailers in Ireland really need to get over themselves. The USSR and US won WWII for Britain, and the Germans won post-WW II. Shít happens. Time to move on, and all the Union Jacks on all the British products in the world will not hide the decline in British power and the rise in German power.

Anyway, I'd trust the quality of a German manufactured product quicker than I'd trust the quality of a British manufactured one. As would most people outside Britain (and judging by the number of German cars in Britain, quite a few Brits feel similarly).

Theres definately someone that needs to get over themselves. Its not the supermarkets though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

The union jack is just the British flag - why would placing it on a product be making a statement re the world wars? :confused:
    Also, it's not something I notice on products at all - seems the kind of thing one would have to look out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Onixx wrote: »
    The union jack is just the British flag - why would placing it on a product be making a statement re the world wars? :confused:
    Also, it's not something I notice on products at all - seems the kind of thing one would have to look out for.

Some people are just looking for things to be offended by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to admit, I honestly don't get the amount of people complaining about the staff in Aldi and Lidl... How much interaction do you get with them anyway? Do you usually go shopping with the expressed intend of having a good long chat with the check-out girl? Or do you belong to those people who enjoy grilling staff on the exact ingredients of every product you buy?

I usually go in, fill up my trolley, and am grateful for a speedy check-out. There usually isn't a lot of scope for me to even notice if the staff are friendly?
    How much time do you usually spend pursuing staff to find out if they're friendly or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to admit, I honestly don't get the amount of people complaining about the staff in Aldi and Lidl... How much interaction do you get with them anyway? Do you usually go shopping with the expressed intend of having a good long chat with the check-out girl? Or do you belong to those people who enjoy grilling staff on the exact ingredients of every product you buy?

I usually go in, fill up my trolley, and am grateful for a speedy check-out. There usually isn't a lot of scope for me to even notice if the staff are friendly?
    How much time do you usually spend pursuing staff to find out if they're friendly or not?

If there is nobody behind me then ill try and chat them up, but usually dont get far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Their goats cheese is absolutely amazing. Cheapest I've found and by far the best. I could eat the whole thing at once.

I never really shop in either, I normally order my weekly shop online and just get a few bits in tesco when I need them.

I only even buy meat in the butchers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

The white bread they sell is like cardboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The white bread they sell is like cardboard.

On the flip side of that the cardboard they sell makes perfectly good toast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

dearg lady wrote: »
    And? Even with perfect use, the failure rate on condoms is still 2%, typical use failure rate is 15%, so it's not that shocking, and there's no proof this brand of condom was the issue.
    I've used Lidl condoms...Mondos, why did they have to call them that?!!! The only thing I've found so far that I'd avoid is Aldi mayonaise, very watery stuff.

Mayo isn't supposed to be used as lube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Don't know if its been said all ready but many, if not all, of the items they sell that carry the tricolour or that claim to be irish made, have a uk symbol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

stovelid wrote: »
    You. Are. Mad.

Lidl and aldi are considered foreign supermarkets by many Irish people while Tesco and M and S are considered native. Lidl and Aldi have definitely more irish products than M and S.

on a sad note aldi used to sell Tuna steaks for less tan 5 euro, while M and S was charging 8 euro.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    Buy fuhkall there. About two of the entire staff of aldi/lidl are friendly happy normal people.

i just go there to shop, not make friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 stroke wrote: »
    Mayo isn't supposed to be used as lube.

Looked at your username & lol'd,don't think you'd need lube, with a name like 2 stroke the deed would be over before you even got the lid off the jar:pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

The only things I won't buy in Aldi are breakfast cereals.. all tried and tested and all sh1te imho..

Furniture polish (streak city)

and personal care items such as toothpaste, shampoo and face washes/moisturiser

Everything else is fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

true wrote: »
    because 80% of the stuff I ever bought in the centre isles of Lidl was rubbish. Bought a pair of jeans for gardening there once, the flimsy little zip broke the 2nd time they were used. Bought tools that were s***e, bought snorkeling mask that leaked and their customer service is worse than useless. Some of their food is ok though, but because of the overall experience I would not shop there anymore.

I've quite a few Aldi and Lidl tools, gardening stuff and general hand tools, as good as anything I bought elsewhere. Certainly nothing wrong with them for domestic day to day diy use. Professional use maybe not, might do for a while or if you were stuck, they dont compare to prof stuff, that will be the case for cheap tools generally.
    Cheap battery powered stuff likely never last, that'd be the case anywhere.
    I wouldn't buy clothes (other than workwear, although I've enough old stuff to do) or footwear there.
    Save a fortune buying food there.
    GunRunner wrote: »
    Cereal, coffee. - taste rotten.
    Milk - goes sour too quick.

Never had this problem with the milk and the coffee is fine, havent tried all of their cereals, sugary ones like any sugary ones, bran ones like any bran ones

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Canned Potato's...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

2 stroke wrote: »
    Don't know if its been said all ready but many, if not all, of the items they sell that carry the tricolour or that claim to be irish made, have a uk symbol.

Yes, the cheese is made here, packed in the UK and sent back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

swans and badger steaks. i get them elsewhere for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, the cheese is made here, packed in the UK and sent back here.
    How messed up is it that apparently there is no Irish cheese slicing/packaging enterprise? All shipped to UK and then back. An opportunity for someone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Only thing I won't buy in Aldi is tinned beans, the sauce is too watery. The multi-grain bread is mighty stuff and the yogurt is lovely. As far as the staff go I've found them in general to be friendlier than Dunnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Chicken.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Only thing I won't buy in Aldi is tinned beans, the sauce is too watery. The multi-grain bread is mighty stuff and the yogurt is lovely. As far as the staff go I've found them in general to be friendlier than Dunnes.
    Speaking of watery have you tried the Dunnes Stores own brand beans ?

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

Ghandee wrote: »
    I find a lot of Aldi's (in particular) food to be superior to some of the other supermarkets stuff.

Maris piper chips at 1.99 thrash mccains etc at double the price.
    Aldi steaks are melt in the mouth
    Aldi cooking sauces (curry in particular) puts pataks, uncle Ben to Shame.
    The sweets, cakes, biscuits are lovely.
    fruit and veg seems to be tastier/fresher than Tesco.
    Rhinebacher beer, six pack of 500ml bottles, 4.9% beats Budweiser, miller etc HANDS DOWN! (6.29€)

I draw the line at ketchup and brown sauce from Aldi though, its rank.

A steak that melts in your mouth dosent sound right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

Any Silvercrest branded stuff is rubbish. I bought a shower radio and headphones and both lasted less than a week.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    Any Silvercrest branded stuff is rubbish. I bought a shower radio and headphones and both lasted less than a week.

then you bring it back and if you have the receipt you get your money back. they are usually good for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

el diablo wrote: »

I got the same shower radio about three years ago, it's still fine :confused:

And I got that digital camera, perfect quality :cool:

• Advertisement

Chicken.
    He's only saying he doesn't like the beans, that hardly makes him a coward. Harsh Teyla.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

gerarda wrote: »
    Chicken fillets.

Friend of mine whos a microbiologist recently found visible salmonella growing on chicken fillets in Lidil along with all sorts of other nasty stuff!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

The disco biscuits are pretty useless, man what a sh!t rave that turned out to be.

Fcukin classic.. :D

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Friend of mine whos a microbiologist recently found visible salmonella growing on chicken fillets in Lidil along with all sorts of other nasty stuff!! :eek:
    That's nothing, I found a Leylandii growing in one of their special offer baskets! Shocked I was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

The only thing I would never buy there is pickled fish (looks vile) and some sort of industrially wrapped hunk of sausage that's about a foot long. Looks like a section of waste water piping.

We grow a lot of our own fruit and veg, or get them locally, but Lidl would be the next best alternative for that sort of produce.

bacteria is everywhere and microbiologists will never shut up about it.
    the main two problems folks have with aldi-its German and its cheap in price.

few Irish people seem to work there.
    i remember when Aldi opened in Galway and there was a strike within the first fortnight of opening. the irish workers wanted a union and refused to do jobs like clean the staff toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Do they still do the full chicken in a tin?

later12 wrote: »
    The only thing I don't buy there is pickled fish (looks vile) and some sort of industrially wrapped hunk of sausage that's about a foot long. Looks like a section of waste water piping.

when they first came they had few Irish products and folks here did not know what to do with pickled herring. these days however even people who have never been outside of ireland will find food they recognise at a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭irishbarb

I prefer Aldi over Lidl. I find nothing wrong with Aldi at all. All the perishables that meat/veg/dairy products are all of a high quality, and in a lot of instances are way nicer then the likes of Dunnes and Tesco. Plus way cheaper. I feel like a lot of people who complain about it try the stuff with a negative attitude to start with anyway. If you believe something is going to be ''horrible'' or ''****e'', then you are going to make it that way. Just sayin' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That stuff can be found on chicken fillets bought anywhere,hence those food safety ads we see on tv warning us of the dangers of handling raw meat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

zerks wrote: »
    That stuff can be found on chicken fillets bought anywhere,hence those food safety ads we see on tv warning us of the dangers of handling raw meat.

I know that , but this one was so bad you could actually see it without a microscope !

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Do they still do the full chicken in a tin?

never seen chicken in a tin unless its some kind of stew or goulash like campells produces for sale in dunnes. BTW dunnes has a whole load of products I would not touch with a barge pole like ham in a can.

aldi and lidl helped bring down the prices of groceries in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'd buy most things in Aldi, except meat.

I love the outrageous rip off of other products though

Not Weetabix, but Wheet Bisks. Identical yellow box they come in too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I know that , but this one was so bad you could actually see it without a microscope !

Are you trying to tell us that your friend saw salmonella microbes without the microscope? That must have been a great laser surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Your friend was confident enough in their findings to report the risks to the Food Safety Authority of Ireland, and to Lidl - right?

• Advertisement

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I'd buy most things in Aldi, except meat.

I love the outrageous rip off of other products though

Not Weetabix, but Wheet Bisks. Identical yellow box they come in too :pac:

I buy meat there but I am not too finicky and it suits my purposes. I notice when I go to the butchers I very often get poor quality meat. unless you are a housewife butchers tend to bull**** you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Condoms......has anyone been brave enough and if so when is the little bundle of joy due?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

I buy my meat in Aldi and it's a good quality. Depends on what and when you buy it, only happened to buy some dodgy smelling chicken fillets once and was given the money back and got an apology immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Whenever I'm in Aldi I have to buy the Titan bars and a box of Choco Pops; Coco Pops which don't cost a bar of gold.

Mmmmm, junk food....

Anything edible.......no ****ing thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement