Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you refuse to buy in Lidl and Aldi....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Buy almost everything is lidl. Im not hung up on marketing and i find their quality:value ratio to be second to none. Will only venture into tesco if i can't find what i need in lidl or aldi. Only hit the butchers if i'm buying fillet steak or a roast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I buy Angus steak in Aldi and it is usually excellent. An odd time it is a bit chewy. The quality is higher than I get in the local butchers. I have no issues with the majority of food items in Aldi. I don't go to Lidl much anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

joolsveer wrote: »
    I buy Angus steak in Aldi and it is usually excellent. An odd time it is a bit chewy. The quality is higher than I get in the local butchers. I have no issues with the majority of food items in Aldi. I don't go to Lidl much anymore.
    yeah the meat is generally grand but the selection of cuts is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was really desperate and bought one of their 99p sandwiches, and fair play to them i thought they were a big pile of shiyte!!!! Only good for stoping doors slamming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Not mad on their chrisps. Very sharp & brittle. Even after I'd eaten the 17 bags of " okaey" buffalo chrisps leftover from the kids at the door at Halloween I still didn't really like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Not mad on their chrisps. Very sharp & brittle. Even after I'd eaten the 17 bags of " okaey" buffalo chrisps leftover from the kids at the door at Halloween I still didn't really like them.

Wasn't there a thread mentioning how some of either Aldi or lidls crisps are made by a well known crisp place, ie the same stuff??

You went through 17 packs of crisps?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I've never eaten anything from either Aldi or Lidl. Mammy does the shoppin in Superquinn. I've had some foreign variant of a snickers bar from Lidl in a friends house which were lovely.
    I'd never buy any of them German sausage things that I've seen in Lidl. Ugh they look rotten. And for some reason I don't trust anything with a foreign brand name and I hate to eat anything when I can't read the nutritional information too :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've never eaten anything from either Aldi or Lidl. Mammy does the shoppin in Superquinn.

Awwww, such a sweet silver spoon :)

Report back here when you are standing on your own two feet with a family to support without any handouts from rich Mammy...

I'm not giving out, just saying that for many people realities have changed over the last few years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

sweets, biscuits, and the cereal especially. Rot the teeth out of your head...

unkel wrote: »
    Awwww, such a sweet silver spoon :)

Report back here when you are standing on your own two feet with a family to support without any handouts from rich Mammy...

I'm not giving out, just saying that for many people realities have changed over the last few years..

Haha Mammy is far from rich I'll tell ya that :L The only reason she does shopping there is because it's right beside the school where she bring my nephew to school. It's just for convenience. She sometimes shops in Tesco too because it's not too far away either.

There's no way I'll be shopping in superquinn when I'm on my own two feet because I think it's ridiculous to spend such money on food :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only reason she does shopping there is because it's right beside the school where she bring my nephew to school. It's just for convenience.

Only people with more than enough money at their disposal ever shop somewhere because it is convenient :)

unkel wrote: »
    Only people with more than enough money at their disposal ever shop somewhere because it is convenient :)

She hasn't got a car so she has to go where is convenient :L Maybe that's why she has extra money; no car.

• unkel wrote: »

That doesn't make them rich. Why the jealousy? People can do their food shopping wherever they want. My parents shop at Tesco and Sainsburys in the North. There's a Lidl fairly close to our house, but they never go there because the layout is really awkward and they can't find everything they want there so it would mean trips to other shops. They both work long hours, so time is money for them and running around Lidl and then other places isn't really worth it.

Personally, I shop at Aldi every week because I have the time to do so and it's only up the road. I pass a Waitrose on the way but no way am I shopping there - it's the British equivalent of Superquinn and probably even more expensive. I buy most things at Aldi, but especially like their fruit and veg, biscuits and occasionally meat, although I prefer to buy my meat elsewhere because the quality in Aldi can be quite bad. Myself and my boyfriend often get the weekly shop done for under £25.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

Irishchick wrote: »
    Nothing. The milk is rank. Cakes and biscuits are dry and sickly sweet. Coffee is rank. The washing powder makes the clothes smell funny.

I did a price comparrison before. Every branded product in lidl and aldi was more expensive than the same branded product in tesco. Tesco always have offers on and their products are often cheaper than lidl or aldi. Plus tesco take coupons.

I found most of the checkout staff to be rude and Theres no baskets!!In my local Supervalu and tesco all the staff are lovely and will always help elderly people with their shopping.
    Aldi is very good quality.
    I use super valu as a convenience store when I need one or two bits.
    I find tesco far too regimented: signs everywhere explaining how to shop and middle England accents on the self service tills.
    Dunnes need to up their game: better value and great quality but not enough tills open at peak times.
    Lidl puts manners on tesco which is good.
    So out of the foreign retailers it would be aldi tesco lidl for me and out of our home grown ones it would be Dunnes followed by super valu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Polish remover - doesn't work at all :-/

Judge Conall Gibbons get back in your box !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

.................... And for some reason I don't trust anything with a foreign brand name ..................... :o

Cars, televisions, dvd/blue-ray players, computers, fridges, freezers, microwave ovens??? :eek:

.................... And for some reason I don't trust anything with a foreign brand name ..................... :o

Cars, televisions, dvd/blue-ray players, computers, fridges, freezers, microwave ovens??? :eek:

Im on about food. Horrid foreign name coupled with incredibly low prices spells food poisoning to me :L

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Im on about food. Horrid foreign name coupled with incredibly low prices spells food poisoning to me :L

Sure... 80 million Germans build those cars, TVs, microwaves, computers etc. In between lengthy toilet breaks during which they crap their guts out...

Shenshen wrote: »

Sure... 80 million Germans build those cars, TVs, microwaves, computers etc. In between lengthy toilet breaks during which they crap their guts out...

Quite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I think this thread is proof that Lidl/Aldi and the stuff they sell is all just pure shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

WumBuster wrote: »
    I think this thread is proof that Lidl/Aldi and the stuff they sell is all just pure shyte.
    then you need to read the whole thread, a vast amount of us have great experiences with aldi and/or lidl and will continue to shop there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

Shenshen wrote: »

They sell cars in Aldl? :eek:

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

el diablo wrote: »
    They sell cars in Aldl? :eek:

No. it is Lidl that sell cars :D.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/motors/2009/0311/1224242647317.html

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

****in bin liners. They'd rip like a twinks arse at an anal party.

omg you lost me with that really lol stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭donegal_man

WumBuster wrote: »

You must have a very poor opinion of Irish food producers
    The company which supplies Aldi’s steaks and its fresh burgers is AIBP Meats. The same company supplies meat to Londis, Tesco and Superquinn.
    Premium fillet steaks in Superquinn cost €9.99, or €49.95 a kilo. In Aldi, the same fillets from the same animals cost €13.99 for 400g, or €34.97 per kg.
    Aldi’s Snackrite Okey Dokeys Crinkle Cut Crisps cost €1.99 for twelve 25g packets. The crisps are made by Largo Foods, better known as the makers of Hunky Dorys crisps. A six-pack of identically-sized Hunky Dorys was selling last week in another major supermarket for €2.15 – or over 100 per cent more expensive.
    Well-known relish and jam makers from Cork, and artisan producers of yoghurts and bread also make products for Aldi which sell for less than their own branded products. This begs the question why more Irish people are not hunting out these supermarket-branded products..............
    There are 107 Irish producers making food for Aldi......................
    Source: Irish Times Monday, August 22, 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

forfuxsake wrote: »
    Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Coffee, tea, ketchup, mayonnaise, cat food (nobody has told cats that we're in a recession). Apart from that I find most stuff is as good if not better than branded items.

I bought their tea for the first time last week and it is delicious (McGrath's Aldi). It was on the news last week in a taste test Lidl had the best mayo followed by Aldi then Hellman's and then Heinz

I do find their catfood too salty

Genuine lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Lol at the people saying they wouldn't touch anything from Lidl or Aldi. Some clients.

Must say it kills me when people mispronounce Lidl.

Itz Lee-dil. Not Lie-del or lid-l.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lidl German greatness

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

I prefer aldi brands to main brands any day .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Anyone ever try the Lobster in a tube from Lidl? Just wondering if it's nice.

Anyone ever try the Lobster in a tube from Lidl? Just wondering if it's nice.

Lobster is grand. Their salmon is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Their fruits aren't great. Maybe I'm storing them wrong, but the seem to go down in quality within a day or two:S

Aldi's tiger bread, bread of the gods

Only thing i dont like is their bottled water. Just cause its not refrigerated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Tym wrote: »
    Their fruits aren't great. Maybe I'm storing them wrong, but the seem to go down in quality within a day or two:S

It just seems to be fruit in general,we've stuff from Dunnes and had to dump it within 3 days.

@jpcarlow,do you not have a fridge at home? Or pick up some bottled water in the store & hide it in one of the freezers then pick it up after you've completed your shop before you head to the tills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

jpcarlow wrote: »
    Only thing i dont like is their bottled water. Just cause its not refrigerated

It's far from refrigerated bottled water you were reared!

zerks wrote: »
    It just seems to be fruit in general,we've stuff from Dunnes and had to dump it within 3 days.

@jpcarlow,do you not have a fridge at home? Or pick up some bottled water in the store & hide it in one of the freezers then pick it up after you've completed your shop before you head to the tills.
    I have a fridge at home, im thinkin more in the line of being out and about for the day and popping in to grab a bottle of something to drink....want it cold then, not have to bring it home and refrigerate first....very much 1st world problems i know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4 Gidon

I personally do not purchase any form of cheese from Aldi or Lidl most of the time, unless its from a good, reputable brand that I recognize. For other basic stuff like bread or other grocery shopping, you can get some good deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 mrsnewbie

I love the salmon in Lidl...yummy!! The brown box of luxury in Aldi is great and brilliant value.. prefer it to any branded stuff. Saw the fruit flavoured cider (red 75cl bottle) was wondering has anyone tried this?? Blueberries 65 cent today in Aldi.. brilliant!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Gidon wrote: »
    I personally do not purchase any form of cheese from Aldi or Lidl most of the time, unless its from a good, reputable brand that I recognize. For other basic stuff like bread or other grocery shopping, you can get some good deals.
    Lidl have fantastic cheeses plus they go on offer regularly.

• Advertisement

Gidon wrote: »

Their cheese is excellent & they have a great range of stuff.I got a kilo of mild cheddar on offer in Lidl recently for €5,didn't last long as my young fella devours the stuff.

Don't trust brands,Kilmeaden cheese isn't even made in Kilmeaden anymore-it's made in Ballyragget.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

zerks wrote: »
    Their cheese is excellent & they have a great range of stuff.I got a kilo of mild cheddar on offer in Lidl recently for €5,didn't last long as my young fella devours the stuff.

Don't trust brands,Kilmeaden cheese isn't even made in Kilmeaden anymore-it's made in Ballyragget.;)

Where's that? India or Bangladesh or somewhere?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

There's not much I won't eat but a few things I'd prefer not to, and the newish Lidl fresh soups are now on that list. There are just so non discript tasteless and boring, if if thats not bad enough the texture is sort of ....... well I won't say as you need to try it for yourself I'm sure someone will like it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

have to agree, the cheese is fantastic in Lidl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Butter, cereal, sausages and tea!

Have to say Lidl's streaky rashers are lovely, very tasty and in fairness aren't too full of water!
    I love the mayo also I think it's "Vita D'Or"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

have to agree, the cheese is fantastic in Lidl

The soft goats milk cheese is less than half the price of anywhere else is is really good.

el diablo wrote: »
    Where's that? India or Bangladesh or somewhere?

Worse than that,Kilkenny: They stir it with hurls until they get cheese.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I like the cheese in Lidl as well. I avoid the German style black bread though...it tastes like tar. Generally I have no problems buying most things there - they're trusted now as one of the worlds biggest retailers (along with aldi). Some old statistics show the German stores are among the worlds top 20 most popular brands. I'd still pay a few euro more in Dunnes to avoid the ques...headwrecking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Must say it kills me when people mispronounce Lidl.

Itz Lee-dil. Not Lie-del or lid-l.

Youre being a lidl bit pedantic there now in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I like the cheese in Lidl as well. I avoid the German style black bread though...it tastes like tar. Generally I have no problems buying most things there - they're trusted now as one of the worlds biggest retailers (along with aldi). Some old statistics show the German stores are among the worlds top 20 most popular brands. I'd still pay a few euro more in Dunnes to avoid the ques...headwrecking.
    The what?

Advertisement