Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux onto a Fujitsu Laptop

• 08-05-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,
    I'm looking for help, to install a Linux package onto a Fujitsu Laptop.
    I seem to be able to get so far but don't fully understand the new system.
    I've tried ubuntu, opensuse gnome & kde, all of which look good however the wireless is not working on either. There are solutions to this problem on the net but to be honest its above me.
    What I'm looking for is someone in the North Dublin area (expert in Linux) to recommend the best package a quick tour of all the features and also a fix for the wireless problem.
    Willing to travel, meet up and pay.
    Eamon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Try installing Linux Mint then re-post here if that doesn't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Eamo2000 wrote: »
    [..]There are solutions to this problem on the net but to be honest its above me.[..]

No, this is not above your skills, unless you're unable to click and type.

I assume you're running ubuntu: find something called "terminal" (press "super" key and type "term"). Open the terminal and type:
    lspci

and post the results here.

I'm trying to find out what wifi card do you have (I bet it's a broadcom)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Eamo2000

"I assume you're running ubuntu: "

I'm currently running OpenSUSE KDE. Will the commands be the same?

Installed Linux Mint. This did not solve my wireless problem.
    Can anybody in the North of Dublin take a look and see if it can be solved?

i will run any of the Linux but consider i've already tried ubuntu, opensuse and mint.

Okay, I also tried the "lspci" command as suggested.

Here are the results:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    06:05.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

• Advertisement

Yes, commands are always the same on ubuntu/mint/fedora and all other distros as it's the same system The way of starting terminal may be different, but once you have the terminal it's always the same.

I don't see any wifi in the list you sent. Is your laptop Fujitsu Siemens Amilo li 1818?

Can you send the result of "lsusb" and "ndiswrapper -l"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I'm sorry Mint didn't work for you. If you used the Mint CD version, you could try installing the multimedia codecs and extras, that might include extra wireless drivers. To do this, a welcome box appears when you log on to Mint. Within the box, click the section that says "Add Multimedia Extras/Upgrade to DVD version" to install the extras. You'll need a wired (ethernet) connection.

A word of comment (and no offence lads..): switching distros might or might not fix your problem, but certainly you'll learn nothing about the system and any new problem will hit you as hard as the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

To get restricted wifi drivers working you might need to plug a LAN cable from your modem into the laptop, then it will connect to the internet, find the drivers and download/install them.

This has always been counter productive for me with Linux, you need to connect to the internet... to connect to the internet! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

@bopniblets is spot on.
    Connect to the router by cable and run the "restricted drivers" tool in ubuntu or whatever you currently have on it. It'll fetch and activate what you need.

It might seem counterintuitive if you look at it like that, but it's not to download the code itself. You require the internet connection to accept the license required to then download the broadcom code. Don't blame linux!

• Advertisement
Advertisement