Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceanothus propogation

Options
  • 08-05-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

I used to have a very large Ceanothus (California Lilac) which as its name suggests was unable to cope with the two harsh winters we had. The bark split and it was no more. I have been trying ( unsuccessfully ) to propagate a replacement from cuttings off other Ceanothus bushes. Any suggestions to improve my pathetic technique?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think they are the easiest to propagate, but you should be taking half ripe cuttings in the late summer. Not too big, I prefer to take heel cuttings, and dip in some rooting powder before putting them into a cloche or covered pots. Nip off the soft new growth at the top and try to find cuttings with no flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Thanks for the advice, Looksee. The annoying thing is that the original was propagated from a cutting.

Advertisement