Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help about my Leaving Cert. 2012

• 08-05-2012 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Hello there!

Over the past couple of weeks I've just lost all motivation for the L.C.; I have yet to study some subjects.

First of all; here's my Pre's results:

English O B3 - 35 Pts
    Irish H C1 - 70 Pts
    Maths O B1 - 45 Pts
    French O F - 0 Pts
    Art H D2 - 50 Pts
    Biology H C2 - 65 Pts
    Physics H B2 - 80 Pts
    Total 345 Points.

I did absolutely no study other than the day before my Pres, and I haven't done much since.

The course I'd love would be Physics and Astrophysics in UCC, which was 450 Pts last year. Pretty much impossible for me at this stage.

After 1st year I would be doing Education in the Physical Science; which I can also enter from Chemical sciences. Turns out you don't need chemistry to do this course and it was 360 Pts last year with a 338 Point average for the past 10 years. So this would really be my best option.

To be safe from any fluctuation; I'd need to get 400 Points.
    But I'd need to do hella good at everything and I'm not very good at maintaining memory. Infact the only subjects I can do efficiently are Mathematics and Physics, and even so; I'm in ordinary Mathematics. :3

Yes, I'm one of those 'Idiots' you hear about. >.<

Can anyone give me tips on how to improve my results and give me motivation to study?
    P.S. I absolutely CANNOT study from a book. I will doodle even if I take away all my pens; yes I can doodle with my face. What of it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Do you know anyone who has eircom studyhub? The lesson tutorials may be better for you. There are other revision tutorials available on various websites.

Your main motivator maybe getting a uni student to tutor you, going through exam papers with you. Good luck with your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

meg3178 wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who has eircom studyhub? The lesson tutorials may be better for you. There are other revision tutorials available on various websites.

Your main motivator maybe getting a uni student to tutor you, going through exam papers with you. Good luck with your exams.

Thanks, my mate has it and he says it's good. I'll say it to him I guess.
    I've been using khanacademy for math and physics but I haven't done it for biology or anything. I suppose I'll give that a bash.

Irish/English/Art history are undecided though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thepikminman

You think its too late for you to get the points you need? My brother did his L.C last year, and he got 300 in the mocks, after doing virtually no study. He continued to do no study and missed lots of days, until about a month before the L.C (around the same time away from it as it is for you now). He ended up getting 600 points in the leaving cert. But he did like 6 hours study a day for the last month.
    Anyway, you got a B2 in HL physics, so you're obviously capable. How come you're in OL maths? HL maths is WAY easier than HL physics. If i were you, id switch to HL maths, especially with the 25 bonus points for it (a D3 in it is worth 65 points), which will bring your points up a LOT.
    And yes, not only is it possible to study the HL maths course in a month, its easy too. Khanacademy is brilliant for it.
    Just f-ing study, its only for a month and everybody hates it. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 dalydolly

I'm the same, have lost all motivation for school and the Leaving Cert! I'm studying bits and pieces but like yourself, probably won't remember it...All I need is 5 passes for my course, and i passed everything in the pre's so it's okay!

You think its too late for you to get the points you need? My brother did his L.C last year, and he got 300 in the mocks, after doing virtually no study. He continued to do no study and missed lots of days, until about a month before the L.C (around the same time away from it as it is for you now). He ended up getting 600 points in the leaving cert. But he did like 6 hours study a day for the last month.
    Anyway, you got a B2 in HL physics, so you're obviously capable. How come you're in OL maths? HL maths is WAY easier than HL physics. If i were you, id switch to HL maths, especially with the 25 bonus points for it (a D3 in it is worth 65 points), which will bring your points up a LOT.
    And yes, not only is it possible to study the HL maths course in a month, its easy too. Khanacademy is brilliant for it.

Thanks.

I've already done a lot of the HL Calculus in my own time; out of sheer interest. But no way would I be capable for HL Mathematics in a month.

I guess I just need to sit down and do exam papers; find where I go wrong and fix it. Trouble is that's difficult to do for things like Art History/English/Irish because there's no definite answer. Messes me up ):

• Advertisement

dalydolly wrote: »
    I'm the same, have lost all motivation for school and the Leaving Cert! I'm studying bits and pieces but like yourself, probably won't remember it...All I need is 5 passes for my course, and i passed everything in the pre's so it's okay!

Don't be saying it's okay though, that's probably the worst mistake.
    I know I don't sound like I should be telling you this, and honestly; I'm the biggest hypocrit going. But yeah, you should work. ;]

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

with that title you defo do need help!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sealgaire wrote: »
    English may not be the OP's first language.
    Anyway, let's not comment on other people's spelling or grammar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Yes because your grammar is splendid. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Sorry for using semi-colloquial language. I thought it wouldn't be an issue on a mature forum.

I 'defo' meant "Need help regarding my Leaving Cert. 2012"

About ~~ Regarding when I'm speaking so I didn't see much of a difference.

Nevertheless, little bit of spam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭lolabearxx

Jesus christ,your bro must be really naturally smart :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

An0n wrote: »
    Thanks.

I've already done a lot of the HL Calculus in my own time; out of sheer interest. But no way would I be capable for HL Mathematics in a month.

I guess I just need to sit down and do exam papers; find where I go wrong and fix it. Trouble is that's difficult to do for things like Art History/English/Irish because there's no definite answer. Messes me up ):

You got a B1 in O maths, you should definately go for higher maths. This is the first year they've opened up the extra points for a D3 and above. Even if you got a D3, you'd still have more points than at ordinary level. The dept need to award more higher maths qualifications to bring the stats in line with other european countries. My daughter did O maths, got the same as you in the mocks and regrets doing the higher level.
    You can get the points if you plan your study well. An english site that may give you better advice in effective study skills and mind mapping is www.thestudentroom.co.uk

Mind mapping for english and Irish will help you, especially if you're good at art, as you can visualise. Good luck.

meg3178 wrote: »
    You got a B1 in O maths, you should definately go for higher maths. This is the first year they've opened up the extra points for a D3 and above. Even if you got a D3, you'd still have more points than at ordinary level. The dept need to award more higher maths qualifications to bring the stats in line with other european countries. My daughter did O maths, got the same as you in the mocks and regrets doing the higher level.
    You can get the points if you plan your study well. An english site that may give you better advice in effective study skills and mind mapping is www.thestudentroom.co.uk

Mind mapping for english and Irish will help you, especially if you're good at art, as you can visualise. Good luck.

Thanks I'll try that site.

Btw, I wouldn't be able for H Maths. It's just too much work to do in a month. Besides, I can't anyways, my school doesn't allow changes this late unless you're dropping. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FergByrne

An0n wrote: »
    Thanks, my mate has it and he says it's good. I'll say it to him I guess.
    I've been using khanacademy for math and physics but I haven't done it for biology or anything. I suppose I'll give that a bash.

Irish/English/Art history are undecided though :/

Fergal here from ExamSupport <snip - if you wish to advertise, please contact hello@boards.ie>

Advertisement