Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC w/Netgear N150 router?

• 08-05-2012 6:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi there,

Quick question: We have UPC broadband with the Scientific Atlanta Webstar cable modem.

Our old D-Link router was a few years old and the signal was poor around the house so my mother went out and bought a Netgear N150 Wireless ADSL2+ wireless modem router today.

I've been trying to hook up the Webstar cable modem to the Netgear router to create a wireless connection, but even though my laptop is recognizing a Netgear network (and it's definitely mine), the internet isn't actually working (though I can log-on to the Netgear set up page).

Could anyone steer me in the right direction? I've tried following Netgear's own instructions for configuration and this: http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/213/~/set-up-netgear-wireless-router

..but nothing seems to work. Is the Netgear ASDL modem router suitable for using with UPC cable broadband? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lenny

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

DSL and Cable are two completely different broadband technologies. A DSL modem is quite useless to you. Change that for a router, not a modem router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

oh.... I was just about to start a similar thread , I hope no one minds if I drop in here with the same idea . I was just about to order UPC and thought I would be able to run an ethernet cable from the UPC supplied Cisco modem over to my N300 WIRELESS ADSL2 + MODEM ROUTER DGN2200 and use that to distribute the broadband around the house to the other PC's that are already connected to the N300 .

IS this not possible ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

No, because you can't route through a DSL modem. Square peg, round hole. You need a router, not a DSL modem.

I'm using an ADSL modem/router on UPC but only because it has an option to disable the ADSL modem and use the LAN 1 port as a WAN port. Most do not, in which case you're snookered.

Advertisement