Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aussies Picking On Irish Again

Comments

Sappa wrote: »
    let them deal with there own idiots but they can`t so they just zone in on an easy target.

Should a countries policy not be to deal with the immigrants BEFORE the locals(as you're stuck with the locals either way)

Never seem to hear anyone here saying to ''deal with the irish before the Polish/Africans etc...''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I was over in Oz, about a year ago at this stage...

The way most Irish people carry on over there is a disgrace, I'm all up for the craic, but drinking all Friday, Saturday and Sunday and causing fights and fighting amongst themselves isn't really the craic...

This happened the week after I left Sydney last year...
    http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/sunday-bloody-sunday-1/

We are getting a bad rep over there and its kinda worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

it is amazing how guilty the polic, and the authorities are...

if all the police and authorities were put in prison.....there would be no crime, no one would be disturbed, and there would not be so much prison accommadation needed.....

simple....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Snowie wrote: »
    oooo good and the irish never treated the polish or any other easter europena badly noooooooo :rolleyes:

They were treated mildly by the gardaí

Not that long ago some were driving dangerously around the place in their left hand drive cars

Did they even have insurance? Who knows

Those days are gone now but there were plenty of them at one stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Nearly had a similar situation in Boston when I moved over.
    The landlord had bad experiences with J1'ers who came over during the summer and wrecked the house and was apprehensive about renting the accommodation to us because of it.

As someone already said, it's probably little Joey's first time away from home living on his own and doesn't know any better.

Not looking forward to the summer when they're over here again, it's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Sappa wrote: »
    targeting the Irish is purely picking on an easy target,let them deal with there own idiots but they can`t so they just zone in on an easy target.

Australia is stuck with its own idiots. It doesnt need to import Irelands too.

I lived abroad, before I left my granddad gave me this advice, "Good luck, kid. Remember, you are not just representing yourself over there, you are representing your country too".

Wise words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

Flamin galahs

"Alf no".......not in the diner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

As much as you would like to believe, we are not entirely unique in our attitude toward excessive drinking.

I'm well aware of that. But I have been to plenty of places around Europe and America and the Irish and English seem to be the worst for that particular 'acting the goat' type of drinking. Other countries drink plenty like the Germans but they don't get all boisterous and annoying.

Have you ever been in drinking company with Irish people and been asked whats wrong with ya? If you are sitting quietly enjoying your drink or if you speak out against someone about to do something silly. That seems to be a bit of an Irish thing. To equate acting an ass as = good craic.

Caliden wrote: »

As someone already said, it's probably little Joey's first time away from home living on his own and doesn't know any better.

That's still no excuse to carry on like a twat and a criminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Should a countries policy not be to deal with the immigrants BEFORE the locals(as you're stuck with the locals either way)

Never seem to hear anyone here saying to ''deal with the irish before the Polish/Africans etc...''

I would seriously hope that every and any Police Force would treat the general public equally, regardless of whether they were Locals or Immigrants.

On an individual basis, Immigrants may not stay in the Town or City for an extended period of time; The existence of an Immigrant Community will, however, be a constant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ghandee wrote: »
    What's the difference in an Irish wake, and an Australian wake?

The Australian one doesn't have a corpse until it's finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

IrishAm wrote: »
    Some employers might have. Not the Irish people. Nor the Irish government. And I cant ever remember the Gardai picking on them either.

Big difference.
    So the Irish people havn't?
    tell that to the families of the two Polish lads stabbed to death by screwdriver wielding thugs in Crumlin, or the family of the young Polish worker kicked to death in North Dublin.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0326/breaking51.htmlhttp://www.irishtimes.com/search/index.html?rm=listresults&keywords=polish stab&rows=10&start=20

Caliden wrote: »
    Nearly had a similar situation in Boston when I moved over.
    The landlord had bad experiences with J1'ers who came over during the summer and wrecked the house and was apprehensive about renting the accommodation to us because of it.

Not looking forward to the summer when they're over here again, it's embarrassing.

Thats sad to hear, mate. Nobody can accuse the people of Beantown of being anti Irish. Had nothing but good experiences living over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

It sounds as if the Irish are being singled out in certain areas because of their behaviour. And if they are wearing Irish jerseys and speaking with Irish accents, then it is obvious they are Irish.

I don't imagine if a group of say, English, were doing the same they wouldn't be warned to tone down their behaviour either.

I don't see why Australian police would genuinely target Irish people when a large majority of Australian people have Irish heritage.

Maybe, as unbelievable as it may seem, it is just the case that in certain areas, Irish louts are causing trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

i was in australia and being irish myself i have to admit some of the irish over there made me sick.its not all but a few piss heads/muppetts.aussie police should just deport them and then the others might cop on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

lividduck wrote: »
    tell that to the families of the two Polish lads stabbed to death by screwdriver wielding thugs in Crumlin, or the family of the young Polish worker kicked to death in North Dublin.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0326/breaking51.htmlhttp://www.irishtimes.com/search/index.html?rm=listresults&keywords=polish stab&rows=10&start=20

Terrible example

Those incidents whilst tragic were random acts of violence by scumbags, and for you to somehow link these to the attitude of Irish people to immigrants is boggling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It sounds as if the Irish are being singled out in certain areas because of their behaviour. And if they are wearing Irish jerseys and speaking with Irish accents, then it is obvious they are Irish.

I don't imagine if a group of say, English, were doing the same they wouldn't be warned to tone down their behaviour either.

I don't see why Australian police would genuinely target Irish people when a large majority of Australian people have Irish heritage.

Maybe, as unbelievable as it may seem, it is just the case that in certain areas, Irish louts are causing trouble.

Perhaps those with Irish heritage aren't the ones making dicks of themselves, and are just as pissed off as the cops?

A small minority of Irish people are scumbags? Do they reflect the Irish people as a whole?

I can dig up cases were Polish people murdered Irish people too. Does that mean Polish people are anti Irish?

Ireland, Sweden and the UK were the only "old" EU states that completely opened up our labour market to the Polish and other accession states citizens.

There are over 100,000 Poles in Ireland. Some of them are now Irish citizens. Some are on welfare. Most are working away and enjoying their life here.

Doesnt seem to me that the Irish are anti Polish. Quite the opposite, in fact.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Perhaps those with Irish heritage aren't the ones making dicks of themselves?

No it is the ones over on a working holiday by the sounds of it.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Terrible example

Those incidents whilst tragic were random acts of violence by scumbags, and for you to somehow link these to the attitude of Irish people to immigrants is boggling.
    Really? The list of attacks on immigrants in ireland is as long as it is anywhere in world, what is mind boggling is that you appear to believe , as the poster i was replying to, that we Irish are never racist or abusive to immigrants, in fact we are, quite often actually.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/bus-drunk-jailed-for-racist-abuse-2542523.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/i-get-daily-racist-abuse-for-being-a-coloured-taxi-driver-2980239.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/racist-dublin-bus-driver-faces-six-months-in-jail-516067.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

woodoo wrote: »
    I'm well aware of that. But I have been to plenty of places around Europe and America and the Irish and English seem to be the worst for that particular 'acting the goat' type of drinking. Other countries drink plenty like the Germans but they don't get all boisterous and annoying.

Have you ever been in drinking company with Irish people and been asked whats wrong with ya? If you are sitting quietly enjoying your drink or if you speak out against someone about to do something silly. That seems to be a bit of an Irish thing. To equate acting an ass as = good craic.

The loudest people often leaving the most lasting impressions.

Quiet people are often not remembered.

Whilst a group of ten Irishmen could quite easily sit in a pub enjoying a quiet and relaxing drink, it would almost certainly take only one loud screaming eejit to walk in and perpetuate the Irish stereotype.

That's the problem with stereotypes. They're easy to remember.
    The Irishmen who defy them, however, aren't as memorable.

That's our problem.

No it is the ones over on a working holiday by the sounds of it.

Are you an Aussie?

If so, whats the media reaction to this back home? Is there a chance the Australian government could pull the working holiday visa for Irish people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

fair dues to the aussies, we should take a lesso n from this.
    court and deport, proper order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Really? The list of attacks on immigrants in ireland is as long as it is anywhere in world, what is mind boggling is that you appear to believe , as the poster i was replying to, that we Irish are never racist or abusive to immigrants, in fact we are, quite often actually.

I don't think anyone said immigrants here did not get some abuse/racial comments. Your links are out of place in this thread.
    The thread is how the Irish are behaving in Australia and how they are giving the Country a bad name.

Are you an Aussie?

If so, whats the media reaction to this back home? Is there a chance the Australian government could pull the working holiday visa for Irish people?

I am, but I have lived in Ireland nearly 12 years.

I don't think the media has made a big issue of it at all. This thread is the first I heard of it.

And the OP's link doesn't make it sound like it was even a news story, just a group of Irish people being told to tame it down a bit in what has probably been a spate of drunken behaviour and incidences.

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't think anyone said immigrants here did not get some abuse/racial comments.
    The thread is how the Irish are behaving in Australia and how they are giving the Country a bad name.
    Actually IrishAm did, post 49. I was merely making the point that we Irish are often no better than those we criticise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There are over 100,000 Poles in Ireland. Some of them are now Irish citizens. Some are on welfare. Most are working away and enjoying their life here.

Doesnt seem to me that the Irish are anti Polish. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The polish don't seem to be a problem at all considering there are 100,000 of them.

The list of attacks on immigrants in ireland is as long as it is anywhere in world,

Its not. You are a liar. Stop lying.
    that we Irish are never racist or abusive to immigrants,

I never said that.

in fact we are, quite often actually.

And I can post up incidents were immigrants attacked or murdered Irish people, but I am not interested in a pointless p*ssing contest.

Ireland went from having a 1%-17% foreign born population in one decade. No other western country has experienced such a change in population, in such a short time frame, post world war 2. None what so ever.

And not one far right party, no race riots, even though we are going through a recession.

A racist people, we are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

crazygeryy wrote: »
    I lived there for 2 years stop talking out through your arse.u must have loads of experience with them then.are you a gaa jersey wearing savage by any chance?
    Ease up with the personal insults there, would I ooze sophistication and class if I was wearing a Man Utd or Liverpool jersey, or in Australia a Roosters or Eels top? I have also spent two years there, and I daresay have seen more of the country and culture than you have

My only encounter with Aussie police was a roadside breathtest, incidentally in Perth. No issues.
    I was over in Oz, about a year ago at this stage...

The way most Irish people carry on over there is a disgrace, I'm all up for the craic, but drinking all Friday, Saturday and Sunday and causing fights and fighting amongst themselves isn't really the craic...

This happened the week after I left Sydney last year...
    http://wentworth-courier.whereilive.com.au/news/story/sunday-bloody-sunday-1/

We are getting a bad rep over there and its kinda worrying
    To be fair you were in an area heavily populated by backpackers, and the Wentworth courier is only a local rag dominated by 75% property pages and 25% whinging busybodies worried about the value of the aforementioned property.

We're no angels abroad for sure, but this myth of the Irish tearing up Australia is overexaggerated.

woodoo wrote: »
    The polish don't seem to be a problem at all considering there are 100,000 of them.

Did I say the Poles were a problem?

But one hundred thousand of them seamlessly moving into a small country like Ireland, reflects well on us too, does it not?

• Advertisement

Nothing in the Sydney Morning Herald about Irish people causing havoc, but there was this when you do a search under 'Irish'

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/irish-tourists-hangover-at-crown-a-comedy-of-errors--and-fraud-20120427-1xoon.html

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

strueth ailsa

I am, but I have lived in Ireland nearly 12 years.

Sucker for punishment, eh?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

http://www.herald.ie/news/bus-drunk-jailed-for-racist-abuse-2542523.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/i-get-daily-racist-abuse-for-being-a-coloured-taxi-driver-2980239.html
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/racist-dublin-bus-driver-faces-six-months-in-jail-516067.html

No its not. I would warrant that most immigrants to Ireland have had reasonable experiences from what I can see. I have had not heard of any ireland first type right wing political movements that exist in most other european countries (take the recent British local or French national elections for example).

What you have done is trawled the internet and found a handful of random incidents. Yes there are racists in Ireland, I do not think anyone ould say there is not. But unlike Australia we did not try to eradicate the culture of the native inhabitants.

Its not. You are a liar. Stop lying.

I never said that.

And I can post up incidents were immigrants attacked or murdered Irish people, but I am not interested in a pointless p*ssing contest.

Ireland went from having a 1%-17% foreign born population in one decade. No other western country has experienced such a change in population, in such a short time frame, post world war 2. None what so ever.

And not one far right party, no race riots, even though we are going through a recession.

A racist people, we are not.
    The list of attacks on immigrants in Ireland is as long as it is anywhere in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

Australia is stuck with its own idiots. It doesnt need to import Irelands too.

I lived abroad, before I left my granddad gave me this advice, "Good luck, kid. Remember, you are not just representing yourself over there, you are representing your country too".

Wise words.
    I lived there for over 5 years,now maybe its gotten worse in the last 3 yrs but I doubt it.
    They always target certain sections,as another poster said the Lebanese in Sydney,the Somali in Melbourne or the Asian gangs.
    The simple fact is if your going to get a slap in any city center there its more than likely going to come from an Aussie twat.
    I have seen the Irish act up also but it was mainly being wasted drunk,I also had a brick come through my window at work by a couple of Aussie youths and the police were no where to be seen when I called them,we caught the guys ourselves.
    Whats obviously happening is residents are complaining and the police need to blame someone but anti-social behavior is rampant through out every major city in Oz and its not just the Irish doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

This time its the western aussie police, maybe they should take a look at there own troublemakers and ignorant idiots that seem to be prevelant in the land of skippy than pick on one race of people, of course what would you expect from one of the most ignorant countries in the world.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/08/notice-from-western-australia-police-%E2%80%93-irish-antisocial-behaviour-in-perth/

I would say its not one of the most ignorant countries,i have been to worse.:eek:
    I would rather call it one of the best"dont come over here and think you can do whatever you want" countries in the world.;)
    I think Ireland and Europe have alot to learn from the Aussies if you ask me.

The list of attacks on immigrants in Ireland is as long as it is anywhere in the world.

Can you back that up?

Not one off cases, liar boy. An official EU report, if you would be so kind.

strueth ailsa

Strewth ;)

• Advertisement

This time its the western aussie police, maybe they should take a look at there own troublemakers and ignorant idiots that seem to be prevelant in the land of skippy than pick on one race of people, of course what would you expect from one of the most ignorant countries in the world.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/08/notice-from-western-australia-police-%E2%80%93-irish-antisocial-behaviour-in-perth/
    ignorant idiots picking on one race of people?
    Tell that to the family of the great Jim Stynes, an Irishman given a state funeral in Australia (mind you he wasn't out on piss causing mayhem every night)
    Ps, we Irish are not a race, just another nationality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

One day, Jonjo will start a thread where the substance of the OP is borne out by the article linked therein. One day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Can we hire some of those Aussie Police to replace the Gardai?

Can we hire some of those Aussie Police to replace the Gardai?

Believe it or not, the aussies were over here a few years back trying to poach lads from Templemore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bored_stiff

ignorant idiots picking on one race of people?
    Tell that to the family of the great Jim Stynes, an Irishman given a state funeral in Australia (mind you he wasn't out on piss causing mayhem every night)

yet on another thread not so long ago , you strongly espoused the idea that travellers were a seperate race and they are irish afaik :confused:

yet on another thread not so long ago , you strongly espoused the idea that travellers were a seperate race and they are irish afaik :confused:[/QUOTE
    A re reg mis quoting me , what were you formally known as?

• Advertisement

yet on another thread not so long ago , you strongly espoused the idea that travellers were a seperate race and they are irish afaik :confused:
    Traveller by ethnicity, Irish by nationality, simples!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

actually we're a race of drunken yobs... as are the english, scotish, welsh and ironicly the austalians :P

davet82 wrote: »
    actually we're a race of drunken yobs... as are the english, scotish, welsh and ironicly the austalians :P
    Nah, We are a nation of intolerant drunken yobs as are the English etc :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭crucamim

Where To wrote: »
    But they are all over there thousands of miles away from mammy and daddy because the big bad government couldn't find them a job at home?

:pac:

Since when did it become the duty of a government to find everyone, or, indeed, anyone a job?

These young Irish people in Australia need to be careful. They could very quickly make themselves unwelcome. Most Australians are not much into political correctness or into being indulgent of troublesome immigrants.

• Advertisement
Advertisement