Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aussies Picking On Irish Again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've met plenty of 18-20 something Aussi back packers in Europe and they're anything but sober !

I know in Spain, they were absolutely dreaded at various festivals as they were invariably the idiots who were out running in front of bulls after 48 pints at €1 each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Solair wrote: »
    I've met plenty of 18-20 something Aussi back packers in Europe and they're anything but sober !

I know in Spain, they were absolutely dreaded at various festivals as they were invariably the idiots who were out running in front of bulls after 48 pints at €1 each.
    What sort of people sell pints at €1 a go to bulls, surely there is a law against that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

crucamim wrote: »
    Since when did it become the duty of a government to find everyone, or, indeed, anyone a job?

These young Irish people in Australia need to be careful. They could very quickly make themselves unwelcome. Most Australians are not much into political correctness or into being indulgent of troublesome immigrants.

i think he was being sarcastic
    anyway thats the view everyone has of the irish there cause plenty carry on to justify that image.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

thats terrible

lividduck wrote: »
    What sort of people sell pints at €1 a go to bulls, surely there is a law against that!:D

It's Spain, they can manage to have cheap alcohol and not drink themselves into a stupor (most of the time anyway).
    They just have a good laugh at the tourists who can't handle their booze :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

It's Spain, they can manage to have cheap alcohol and not drink themselves into a stupor (most of the time anyway)
    Jezus I dont know, dem bulls in pampaloma seem pretty pissed to me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

woodoo wrote: »
    What we think is normal and happens every weekend up and down Ireland is not considered normal in countries like Oz.
    No Australian has ever been drunk and disorderly, FACT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

No Australian has ever been drunk and disorderly, FACT.

Don't talk about individuals talk about towns and cities. Is your average 30,000 population town in Oz over run with mayhem from 12am to 3am on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Economic refugees on 417 visa's, then they wonder why they can't get work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Drunk parrots acting up and falling out of the sky in Australia (again)
    Raucous parrots have been accused of being drunk and disorderly by residents living in Palmerston, Australia.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/864129-drunk-parrots-acting-up-and-falling-out-of-the-sky-again

We're not alone in this vilification!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

This time its the western aussie police, maybe they should take a look at there own troublemakers and ignorant idiots that seem to be prevelant in the land of skippy than pick on one race of people, of course what would you expect from one of the most ignorant countries in the world.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/08/notice-from-western-australia-police-%E2%80%93-irish-antisocial-behaviour-in-perth/

Indeed, them aussies. Always f**king generalising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

watch out digger - the paddies are pissing on your swag.

Joking aside - are we sure this Police crackdown is real ? Is this notice to Irish people real ? Methinks this is a big wind-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭2ygb4cmqetsjhx

I looked at all the people I know in Perth. Went to school with loads of them. I'm surprised most of them are not in prison to be honest. These guys always caused trouble in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,109 ✭✭✭Patser

So are they going to load them all into Prison Ships and transport them back home?

How things change over 140 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As someone who lives in Perth and has seen my fair share of Irish clowns acting the bollox over the years, this is good to see (if true).

A lot of WHV folk join a GAA club when they get here so it makes sense to have the info relayed to them by an already reputable mini community, which is what those clubs are.

Saying "yeah well Aussies get pissed up in England too" is a lame attempt at a deflection. The fact is that there are a lot of people f*cking about here making things difficult for the rest of us. If anything the police should be commended for trying to nip it in the bud before the reputation damage is irreparable.

No surprises at the blinkered OP though, an honest opinion of him would have me banned :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

woodoo wrote: »
    Don't talk about individuals talk about towns and cities. Is your average 30,000 population town in Oz over run with mayhem from 12am to 3am on a Saturday night.

A few lads trying to pull birds outside the chipper after closing does not equal "overrun with mayhem".

Go to a UK high street on an average weekend night if you want to experience real menace in the air.

In my opinion compared to Brits and even the Aussies themselves, Irish people are pretty well behaved when drunk.

Sloppy and noisy allright but very rarely violent!

There are definitely a few eejits over there causing trouble but the amount of money injected into the Australian economy by backpackers and WHV'ers far outweighs any minor social disturbance the minority may cause.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

I have no problem with this "ZERO TOLERANCE" approach.
    I only wish our police could implement something similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

mossyc123 wrote: »
    There are definitely a few eejits over there causing trouble but the amount of money injected into the Australian economy by backpackers and WHV'ers far outweighs any minor social disturbance the minority may cause.

Whilst that is probably true, if the minority cause the Australians to form a negative view of the Irish, that will have a negative impact on the well behaved, hard working Irish immigrants over there.

I may get flamed for this, and Ive never been to Australia, so this is purely anecdotal. Since 2009, the worst kind of Irish immigrant seem to go to Australia. The highly skilled hard working type go to Canada, UK, and continental europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Xavi6 wrote: »
    No surprises at the blinkered OP though, an honest opinion of him would have me banned :)

Did you Aussies deport him or something?:pac:

• Advertisement

IrishAm wrote: »
    Whilst that is probably true, if the minority cause the Australians to form a negative view of the Irish, that will have a negative impact on the well behaved, hard working Irish immigrants over there.

I may get flamed for this, and Ive never been to Australia, so this is purely anecdotal. Since 2009, the worst kind of Irish immigrant seem to go to Australia. The highly skilled hard working type go to Canada, UK, and continental europe.

A lot of those who have gone to Oz lately do seem to be the dosser type who see it more as a lark than anything else , maybe they are right though - contary to mis-reporting here the vast majority have only working holiday visas and will have to come home.

Can anyone here confirm this is a true story btw - sounds like bullsh1t to me ?

These clowns are not immigrants they are only Visitors/guests, you only are an immigrant if you actually migrate.

Did you Aussies deport him or something?:pac:

No but he was exposed as a failure, case of sour grapes on his behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

I wont flame you for that, I'll just say you must be a bit stupid to post up your own anecdotal fiction and believe it.

I know plenty of highly skilled and non-skilled people who have arrived out here recently, and they are working hard and making great money.

But yes there is a large element of wasters out here too who though they could come and make a quick and easy buck. Sadly it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

dirtyden wrote: »
    Terrible example

Those incidents whilst tragic were random acts of violence by scumbags, and for you to somehow link these to the attitude of Irish people to immigrants is boggling.

i'll remember that when the next reference to eating swans or bulgarians to blame for the greed of the irish who bought non-existing apartments from the irish appears on the boards.

there is one thing that's rampant on the British Isles including ROI and that's the booze culture and the feeling you can't have fun without being pissed out of your head. Not surprisingly, behaving like a group of Neanderthals on crack is not the standard in most other countries, what's the norm here is considered excessive elsewhere so it's not surprising the Aussies are fed up with all poor hard-working fellas struggling to get by yet having enough money to drink themselves first aggressive and then unconscious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

What people have to realise going to Australia is that the police simply don't tolerate messing in the way Irish or British do. I went out with a mixed group of Irish and English some ten years ago and several of the younger lads get into trouble because behaviour that would have gotten a ticking off from GMP or AGS got them arrested out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

The type of aggressive drinking is a rite of passage for Irish people.
    That's what needs to end here first.
    It's a badge of honour for Irish people to be drunk and stupid.
    Can't blame the Aussies for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

I lived and worked in Perth for a year great place and I would be with the same view as the police.

Stuff I witnessed:
    Drink driving (every Irish person I met did it)
    No rego (no tax and insurance )
    Renting houses with 8+ guys in it .
    Houses been smashed up due to party's etc .
    One guy made the news by driving his car in to a pool.
    Fights every night when I was in northbridge.
    Loads of Irish without visas.

That's just a sample of what I witnessed and all I can say is 80% of Irish are disrespectful and getting us a bad name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I lived and worked in Perth for a year great place and I would be with the same view as the police.

Stuff I witnessed:
    Drink driving (every Irish person I met did it)

That's just a sample of what I witnessed and all I can say is 80% of Irish are disrespectful and getting us a bad name.

He played for my football team for about three games before disappearing, wasn't one bit surprised when he showed up on the news.

Apparently he's still here illegally over east.

Stuff I witnessed:
    Drink driving (every Irish person I met did it) Every aussie I know does it too! Crazy stuff

80%? what sort of shower of scum where you hanging around with when you were here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Dannyboy1987

Sundy wrote: »

Stuff I witnessed:
    Drink driving (every Irish person I met did it) Every aussie I know does it too! Crazy stuff

That's just a sample of what I witnessed and all I can say is [COLOR="Red"]80%[/COLOR] of Irish are disrespectful and getting us a bad name.

80%? what sort of shower of scum where you hanging around with when you were here?

I wasn't that's the point I've got family that live there and they are of the same opinion. Let's put it this way it has to be bad if the police are going around to gaa clubs etc

• Advertisement

Northbridge is bad, we all know that. But I know quite a lot of Irish people over here and none of them have ever been in any trouble. Even the guys who were boy racers at home stick to the limit here.

Dunno where you pull the 80% from, that would mean only 2 out of 10 Irish people over here are decent. Hardly true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

What people have to realise going to Australia is that the police simply don't tolerate messing in the way Irish or British do. I went out with a mixed group of Irish and English some ten years ago and several of the younger lads get into trouble because behaviour that would have gotten a ticking off from GMP or AGS got them arrested out there

Maybe that's the attitude the Gardai should adopt here, a case here in Galway springs to mind that happened recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

I was in oz 3 years ago while travelling the world. and i noticed the following
    1) the police over there don’t take **** like they do here, if you talk back to a cop for the craic you get throw into teh drunk tank.
    2) The craic is a curse for the irish traveler, from whit i witnessed its all about who can get drunkest and loudest and when something goes wrong "we were only having the craic"
    3) Irish are getting a bad name over in Oz, no matter how much we say to yourselves " sure everyone loves our drinking ways cos we're so much fun" it won't be true.
    4) The loutish behavior is in large carried out by a minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Cognitive Cascade

Now you see people, emigration is not a bad thing.

What is it with the Irish people who "want to travel" go to Australia, hang out with irish people in irish bars and get drunk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

From my time in Perth I think there were 2 or 3 fatal car crashes involving Irish people and also a stabbing at a hostel downtown. This was in about 6 month period. There are tonnes of paddies there and most are ok of course but there seemed to be a lot of gobsh*tes aswell so I don't blame the WA police for saying this. You notice it in Perth more as the nightlife is pretty quiet and small so the paddies stand out more when they're falling around drunk and sunburnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

What is it with the Irish people who "want to travel" go to Australia, hang out with irish people in irish bars and get drunk.

What is it with Chinese people who take over entire sections of cities as their own and don't even speak the local language?

It's human nature, Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 man the van

I worked and lived in Perth for a year in 2010. I have to say even though I really missed Ireland at the time, I could not bring myself to hang out with the majority of Irish from my home place. It seemed to me the older guys with families, showed respect for people and their surroundings. They viewed Australia as their new home and were grateful for it. There was a large group of younger fellas however,who just got pissed and constantly let themselves down, these guys I remember used to bring the tri-colour with them everywhere just to confirm they were Irish! No respect. Anyways, I think this is good proactive policing, if an immigrant does not respect the law of the land, it should not be tolerated

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    What is it with Chinese people who take over entire sections of cities as their own and don't even speak the local language?

It's human nature, Einstein.

Hey Rocket Scientist. you missed the part of my post were i said people "who want to travel"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That DAA spoof ad that Risteard Cooper did is spot on the money for one thing; "we engage in unnecessary and often criminal behaviour and justify it by calling it 'the craic'..."

You see the same thing on J1s I'd hazard, first time away from home in a completely different country where no one knows you, real life gets suspended for a lot of people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

A few lads trying to pull birds outside the chipper after closing does not equal "overrun with mayhem".

Go to a UK high street on an average weekend night if you want to experience real menace in the air.

In my opinion compared to Brits and even the Aussies themselves, Irish people are pretty well behaved when drunk.

Sloppy and noisy allright but very rarely violent!

Absolute nonsense. I worked as a doorman in Ireland for years and can categorically state that there is a very nasty underside to Irish drinking that you don't find in many other European countries. I live in London now, again working in the pub trade and generally the carry-on and sh*t behaviour isn't half as bad. Of course you'll always have your ars*holes everywhere, and I deal with eejits on a nightly basis over here, it's still a better experience than I had back in Cork.

To be honest when you have large groups of young men emigrating anywhere for the first time you are going to have this sort of behaviour. Irish people in London in the 1980s had a reputation in places like Camden and Cricklewood for boozing, fighting and general fool acting. I find youngfellas who have just arrived tend to go a small bit wild, I first moved to London at around 18 and was pretty much the same. Similarly one only has to look at university student areas in Irish cities to find similar examples of fool-acting by young rural people away from home for the first time.

Are Irish people the only people to act up while drunk? No. But is it a reality that large groups of young Irish people are doing the bollix and getting a bad name for it? Most definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I wasn't that's the point I've got family that live there and they are of the same opinion. Let's put it this way it has to be bad if the police are going around to gaa clubs etc

i have also got family there and they are there going on forty years, were home last year, and they said that there is too much drinking going on by some of our own over there, they are making a bad name for themselves and all of us,
    i think some of it is loneless and meeting up having a good time, which ends in too much alcohol being consumed, we see it right here at home people having had enough barly able to stand ordering more drink.

we were always known as hard workers,
    but now what will we be known as,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

However WA is less reliant on income generated form tourists and backpackers than the rest of the country (strong mining industry). Which is a pity since some of the most spectacular parts of the country are to be found in Western Australia, The Kimberley, Pilbara, Margaret River to name a few. Better and cleaner beaches in Perth and WA than on the opposite East Coast/Sydney. I also found the scuba diving better than the more vaunted Barrier Reef.

Delancey wrote: »
    A lot of those who have gone to Oz lately do seem to be the dosser type who see it more as a lark than anything else , maybe they are right though - contary to mis-reporting here the vast majority have only working holiday visas and will have to come home.

Can anyone here confirm this is a true story btw - sounds like bullsh1t to me ?

fraid not

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/13646213/police-concern-over-backpacker-behaviour/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Judging on the hysteria thrown up on the issue of 'boat people' I'm guessing more of the same here

There has to be an element of the profile of the people who emigrate to particular places too.

When you consider Western Australia, it is attracting people who want to get jobs in the mining and construction sectors.

Not to cast aspersions on all those in the construction sector, but when you get a large group of relatively young construction / mining workers, you will tend to get boisterous, heavy-drinking type behaviour.

I do think that some Irish people go nuts when they're abroad in sunnier climates though. They suddenly switch into Costa-del-Sol mentality.
    The Australian police might be well advised to watch Drunk (Brits/Irish) Abroad reality TV shows!

The Spanish and Greeks have been putting up with this kind of stuff for decades from crazy Irish, British, Dutch and German yobbish types who seem to just lose the plot when presented with alcohol and sun.

I'm sure the novelty eventually wears off when people are actually living in a place and realise they're not just there for a mad drunken holiday though.

There has to be an element of the profile of the people who emigrate to particular places too.

These people have not emigrated, they are on holiday.

When you consider Western Australia, it is attracting people who want to get jobs in the mining and construction sectors

Yeah it's attracting people who think they are going get into mining, start up costs for an employer to train someone through the inductions for mine sites is between $10K-$18K. It's not worth spending that money on someone on a WHV as they only can work for 6 months.

A few and I mean a tiny few who have some relevant trade or profession might be able to get sponsored but they are the exceptions. You only have to read some of the mining threads in the Aus & NZ forum some of the regular posters work in the mines. They say the number of Irish in the mines is minuscule really it's not what the media in Ireland reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

As someone going there in the next few months stories like this don't exactly fill me with confidence.

I'm Irish, male, in my 20's, and on a WHV. That's the only thing I have in common with the gob****es mentioned but I fear that I'll still be tarred with the same brush.

If anything it just makes me more determined to steer clear of the boyo's on tour brigade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I totally agree with the WA Police for this move but the only problem with it is that half of these twats will ignore the warning and continue to act like wánkers and end up having their visas revoked and deported, so we'll have them all back here again. Emmmm....I've changed my mind now, the aussie police shouldnt be picking on the stupid drunken irish, its discrimination. These people are of low intelligence and need protecting.

• Advertisement

A journalist for the Guardian wrote a piece a few years ago that I've never forgotten , it went something like this -

The great failure of the British is they still think they own the rest of the world through their ' empire '

The great failure of the French is they still think of themselves as the most cultured people there are.

The great failure of the Irish is they still think of themselves as the people all other nationalities love :rolleyes:

Advertisement