Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aussies Picking On Irish Again

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Delancey wrote: »
    The great failure of the Irish is they still think of themselves as the people all other nationalities love :rolleyes:[/I]

True.

But I would add to it, too. The Irish are obsessed about what other nationalities think of them.

Regular conversation Ive seen on Facebook.

1-Woooow. Moving to AUS/CAN/US/UK/SPAIN/GERMANY was the best decision I ever made. Lol. Lmao all that other assorted text speak bollix.

2-Oh yeah, do they like the Irish over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

On reflection this recession has worked out pretty well for us, from personal experience the majority of people who've left this country were never employable in the first place and clearly they're going down a hit in their new home.

Enjoy them Oz, no takebacks. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

I'm living in Australia at the moment and if any Rental Agencies told me they were not willing to rent a property to me on the grounds that I was Irish then I would tell them that that was illegal and that All Australian States and Territories make race discrimination unlawful and include ethnicity or ethnic origin in the definition of 'race'. If a police officer told gave me any advice on how to behave based on the fact that I am Irish I would also take offence to this. I don’t live in Perth but I can’t accept that because of the actions of some Irish people or even if there is a lot of Irish people acting like idiots that this kind of discrimination can be accepted and approved of not only by Australians but by Irish people too. I visited Perth 3 years ago and the Northbridge area had a bad reputation then too and not because of the Irish. It was a kip for years before the Irish came in large numbers.

I’m a well educated person with years of work experience in a field that is suffering badly in Ireland at the moment and have found a good job in Australia. I originally did not come here for work but have found it and thought it was better to be employed in Australia then unemployed in Ireland. All the Irish who stay here for more then the 1 or 2 years you get on a working holiday visa are well educated or highly skilled people. The ones who don't are on a holiday and act as such. My nationality has nothing to do with my behaviour and other then a speeding ticket I have never had any dealings with the police here. Tarring all Irish with the same brush is ignorant and offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

A journalist for the Guardian wrote a piece a few years ago that I've never forgotten , it went something like this -

The great failure of the British is they still think they own the rest of the world through their ' empire '

The great failure of the French is they still think of themselves as the most cultured people there are.

The great failure of the Irish is they still think of themselves as the people all other nationalities love :rolleyes:
    I'd certainly agree with that point on the Irish. The stereotype of the Irish in Australia seems to be one of a nation of feckless drunks (not in a loveable sense), and stereotyping is something the Aussies do quite well.

However in their defence, Aussies will quickly warm to people who they see putting in a hard shift, regardless of preconceptions, even if they come across as cold and unwelcoming initally. I've experienced this myself.

In Perth/WA region I think a lot of the problem is to do with the number/percentage of WHV tourists compared to other nationalities. Others, especially the British have a greater proportion of actual immigrants and retirees in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Joking aside - are we sure this Police crackdown is real ? Is this notice to Irish people real ? Methinks this is a big wind-up.

According to one of the GAA club reps I heard on the radio during the week, "this police crackdown" was actually a couple of Irish immigrants in Australia who had joined the police force, and were doing some community policing by dishing out some friendly advice at the places they knew they'd have an Irish audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Dubnobass wrote: »
    but I fear that I'll still be tarred with the same brush.
    Racism, its fun-tastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Racism, its fun-tastic!

Give yourself a pat on the back for picking up on something that wasn't there in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Dubnobass wrote: »
    Give yourself a pat on the back for picking up on something that wasn't there in the first place.
    So tell us, what would you call a situation where someone is afraid they'll be discriminated against based on their ethnic origin?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dubnobass

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    So tell us, what would you call a situation where someone is afraid they'll be discriminated against based on their ethnic origin?

My apologies. I assumed you were having a pop at me for using that expression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Doc wrote: »
    I'm living in Australia at the moment and if any Rental Agencies told me they were not willing to rent a property to me on the grounds that I was Irish then I would tell them that that was illegal and that All Australian States and Territories make race discrimination unlawful and include ethnicity or ethnic origin in the definition of 'race'. If a police officer told gave me any advice on how to behave based on the fact that I am Irish I would also take offence to this. I don’t live in Perth but I can’t accept that because of the actions of some Irish people or even if there is a lot of Irish people acting like idiots that this kind of discrimination can be accepted and approved of not only by Australians but by Irish people too. I visited Perth 3 years ago and the Northbridge area had a bad reputation then too and not because of the Irish. It was a kip for years before the Irish came in large numbers.

I’m a well educated person with years of work experience in a field that is suffering badly in Ireland at the moment and have found a good job in Australia. I originally did not come here for work but have found it and thought it was better to be employed in Australia then unemployed in Ireland. All the Irish who stay here for more then the 1 or 2 years you get on a working holiday visa are well educated or highly skilled people. The ones who don't are on a holiday and act as such. My nationality has nothing to do with my behaviour and other then a speeding ticket I have never had any dealings with the police here. Tarring all Irish with the same brush is ignorant and offensive.

I have never been in Australia but from what I gather alot of Irish backpackers go on WHV and cause trouble so if your Irish I can see why they might be extra careful. From what I have heard the locals like a drink just as much as the Irish so I wonder why they are talking about the Irish so much or is the Irish media just making mountains out of mole hills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Doc wrote: »
    I’m a well educated person with years of work experience in a field that is suffering badly in Ireland at the moment.
    Actually the weather forecast in Ireland isnt looking too bad for this summer so maybe that field wont suffer so badly this year after all... id advise a late crop of Barley or Rape seed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Much the same thing happens over here with J1 people. In NY, LA and Chicago there have been numerous landlords that will expressly ask the realtors not to let to them. I have seen photos of places where young Irish people have left/been thrown out of ......... and they were in a state. Admittedly a few ....... but the word goes 'round. They also don't seem to understand that you can't party at night if the tenants next door/overhead/or below have to go to work in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

We're unwelcome in Hawaii FFS. This is completely self-inflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

We're unwelcome in Hawaii FFS. This is completely self-inflicted.

Did you get nailed by Magnum PI and his buddies Rick and AJ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I clicked on the thread expecting to read something about police brutality towards Irish immigrants or ''No Irish'' signs in workplaces... I don't see how a warning that anti-social behaviour won't be tolerated is ''picking on the Irish''.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Groups of drunken students get a similar response from landlords here in Ireland too though.

Unfortunately, there's a yobbish culture amongst teens - early 20s here and also in the UK. I think the Inbetweeners sums that generation up quite nicely.

I had to move out of an apartment (and cut the lease short) in Cork because I couldn't sleep due to students living in a unit nextdoor.

They had wild, and I mean really wild, parties almost every 2nd night.
    This involved deafening music going on until 4 and 5 in the morning, dancing, throwing things off the balcony, smoking and talking loudly on the balcony which was meters from our bedroom window.

We knocked, other neighbors knocked, we spoke to the management company, their landlord etc nothing had any impact.
    At one stage we even called the Gardai when they were standing out on the balcony using traffic cones as megaphones at 4am!

They smashed up all the furniture in the apartment, broke the kitchen table, regularly set off the building fire alarms doing things like attempting to barbecue indoors!

People like that go abroad and get the country a bad reputation in anywhere they go on 'holiday' and go mental.
    The problem is that we have raised a generation of feral, drunken, idiots!

The Brits have also done exactly the same to the point that there are Spanish towns that absolutely dread them.

Check out : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-1262792/British-students-cause-drunken-havoc-Spanish-holiday-resort.html for an idea of how they are received in Spain.

A lot of American's don't seem to appreciate that J1 Irish types are basically on "Spring Break"

Other J1 users are hard-working temporary immigrants who are there to earn money and participate in a cultural exchange, not get plastered for the summer.

Most other Western countries don't have access to the J1 programme btw, it's available in Ireland due to a legacy issue.

All that's going to happen is the J1 programme will get more restrictive if they start to see that it's being used for "SPRING BREAK" partying purposes rather than cultural exchange.

The Aussie Working Holiday Visa could end up getting restricted too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

This is really bad news. God forbid they would send them back.

They're also targeting our British neighbours over their drunken lack of condom use
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10084550

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Solair wrote: »
    They're also targeting our British neighbours over their drunken lack of condom use
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/10084550[/QUOTE]

Researchers quizzed 5,700 backpackers who visited a sexual health clinic in Sydney over an eight year period and compared their answers with patients born in Australia. The results were recently published in the Journal of Sexually Transmitted Infections.

Young Brits were much more likely to drink heavily, have multiple sexual partners and test positive for chlamydia than Australians.

I can see why they are being warned to put something on the end of it. :D

What else would you expect out of Australians, they are a horrible shower, why people want to move there is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

haminka wrote: »
    i'll remember that when the next reference to eating swans or bulgarians to blame for the greed of the irish who bought non-existing apartments from the irish appears on the boards.

there is one thing that's rampant on the British Isles including ROI and that's the booze culture and the feeling you can't have fun without being pissed out of your head. Not surprisingly, behaving like a group of Neanderthals on crack is not the standard in most other countries, what's the norm here is considered excessive elsewhere so it's not surprising the Aussies are fed up with all poor hard-working fellas struggling to get by yet having enough money to drink themselves first aggressive and then unconscious.

Your retort has absolutely and completely missed the point of my initial post. You could not be further off the mark.Who has ever blamed bulgarians for people buying apartments there. That is the first time I have ever heard thatmentioned. I think that is just your own preconception of how other irish people think.Likewise the swan thing is another lazy throw away comment. Give me a concrete example of organised racism against immigrants in Ireland rather than some random events or hearsay or really dont bother contradicting me.

And the booze culture you have described is also an exxageration. I enjoy a few beers every odd weekend. I generally go out in Douglas in cork. I have never seen the carnage you have described, the vast majority have some drinks maybe dance a litte etc and get a cab and go home. I cant remember the last time I have seen a fight or anything of the sort, see the occasional person who has had a little too much bit thats about it. Maybe you are going to the wrong bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Could that be down to the skills that they are seeking? There are more restrictions on who can get a visa for Canada, and jobs are scarce enough in the UK for the low skilled too. Proficiency in a foreign language would rule out continental Europe for many low skilled as well. That really leaves only NZ/Aus for the Irish.

Anecdotally I find that it is the lowest skilled/least educated are the most boisterous when they've been drinking - Australia, with its current immigration and working visa policy seems to be attracting these sorts of people. A lot of the people I know over there are the lads that didn't go any further after the LC and went to work on the buildings, until the boom went bust.

Australia won't ban the Irish, but they could make it more difficult for those without university education to gain entry.

Anecdotally?

I think that people with college educations can drink just as much as those without (and also be just as boisterous). In fact I would wager a good percentage of the people on WHV are just finished college and off for a year of fun and travel with a little work thrown in.

It is the brickies etc who see Australia as a life choice rather than a rites of passage. Australia requires this type of worker for their rapidly expanding cities and infrastructure. If you import a lot of young people and like young people of most nationalities they will go out and party at the weekend I think it is a little rich to go whinging about it. Australians like to have an ethnic minority to pick on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Most other Western countries don't have access to the J1 programme btw, it's available in Ireland due to a legacy issue.

All that's going to happen is the J1 programme will get more restrictive if they start to see that it's being used for "SPRING BREAK" partying purposes rather than cultural exchange.

The Aussie Working Holiday Visa could end up getting restricted too.

http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/summer-work-travel/

It looks like it is open to all students in Visa waiver countries, without placement, nothing about it being a legacy benefit for the Irish. Indeed it was extended in 2008 by memorandum of understanding between the Governments to allow for Irish graduates to stay there for a year post college.

It is popular here because there has long been a culture of doing it among Irish students, like the gap year in the USA. It only became "spring break" like during the boom time when the trip was largely financed by money at home and working was to top up drinking money, unlike earlier times when the idea was to bring money back for the coming college year. The programme won't be going away because the US embassy in Ireland likes the amount of money it generates for them. The ambassador was in Irish colleges a year or two ago encouraging Irish students to do it IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bil

Could that be down to the skills that they are seeking? There are more restrictions on who can get a visa for Canada, and jobs are scarce enough in the UK for the low skilled too. Proficiency in a foreign language would rule out continental Europe for many low skilled as well. That really leaves only NZ/Aus for the Irish.

Anecdotally I find that it is the lowest skilled/least educated are the most boisterous when they've been drinking - Australia, with its current immigration and working visa policy seems to be attracting these sorts of people. A lot of the people I know over there are the lads that didn't go any further after the LC and went to work on the buildings, until the boom went bust.

Australia won't ban the Irish, but they could make it more difficult for those without university education to gain entry.
    Are you really suggesting they stop letting tradesmen go out there? Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'll be a mad fecker and point out that its probably an unusual concentration of a particular age/gender demographic, moreso than nationality, that would cause such a phemomena.

Nodin wrote: »
    I'll be a mad fecker and point out that its probably an unusual concentration of a particular age/gender demographic, moreso than nationality, that would cause such a phemomena.

Combined with good weather and being away from home.

Also, "high" Australian alcohol prices are pretty familiar to Irish people.
    The Aussis seem to think that their alcohol prices are very high, but compared to Ireland, from what I've seen, they're not that different really.

Oz also has a very simialr drinking culture and problem with alcohol to Ireland and the UK :
    http://bigpondnews.com/articles/National/2012/04/17/Australias_alcohol_problem_poll_740545.html

Not surprising really given that it's more or less exactly the same as Ireland or the UK, just with better weather and a non-deflated construction boom on the other side of the planet.

I was quite shocked at how similar Australia is in most respects, NZ even more so.
    NZ kind of reminded me of Ireland or England but, aspects of it felt like 20+ years ago. All I remember about NZ was it was cold, wet and central heating wasn't common !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

bil wrote: »
    Are you really suggesting they stop letting tradesmen go out there? Are you for real?

I'm not suggesting they should, but that they could stop letting low skilled Irish in. It would certainly reduce the numbers of Irish there, and help solve their "Irish Problem". There are pros and cons for this course of action of course, but if its popular, the Australian government will do it.

Another issue is that a lot seem to see it as an extended holiday and don't treat it as leaving to go to work - where as those that seem to be going elsewhere don't appear to have that attitude.

Just beware of taking the Aussie media too seriously. Australia did bring the world Rupert Murdoch :D

Pinch of salt required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Just beware of taking the Aussie media too seriously. Australia did bring the world Rupert Murdock :D

Pinch of salt required.

Murdoch you mean????

• Advertisement

Murdoch you mean????

However he spells it - The tabloid media mogul.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bil

I'm not suggesting they should, but that they could stop letting low skilled Irish in. It would certainly reduce the numbers of Irish there, and help solve their "Irish Problem". There are pros and cons for this course of action of course, but if its popular, the Australian government will do it.

Another issue is that a lot seem to see it as an extended holiday and don't treat it as leaving to go to work - where as those that seem to be going elsewhere don't appear to have that attitude.
    And tradesmen are low skilled?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I think it is a fair response from the Police, they issue a warning that any anti-social drink behaviour will not be tolerated, if you proceed to act in such a way and are arrested then you deserve to be.

If you abide by the laws and don't piss in peoples gardens when drunk you will be left alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Well that's exactly what it is, it's a holiday visa. 21,000 of them compare that to the average of 3000 Irish people who actually emigrate to Australia each year.

Some of the real skilled ones might get sponsored, but plenty of skilled and nearly all the unskilled have to go home empty handed once the year or 2 is up.
    There is of course the ones who go illegal when the visa runs out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭donegal_man

What people have to realise going to Australia is that the police simply don't tolerate messing in the way Irish or British do. I went out with a mixed group of Irish and English some ten years ago and several of the younger lads get into trouble because behaviour that would have gotten a ticking off from GMP or AGS got them arrested out there

Maybe that's the attitude the Gardai should adopt here, a case here in Galway springs to mind that happened recently.

Agree, it's the first thing I noticed on my return to Dublin the amount of misbehavior the Gardai were prepared to tolerate before making an arrest. Of course offenders are processed by the courts much faster as well, when I told a friend out there that it could take 18 months for am assault case to be tried he thought I was taking the mick.

Advertisement