Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misquoted

Options
  • 08-05-2012 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was misquoted in this post, in a way that I would consider damaging to my online reputation.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=78562962&postcount=66

I raised the issue with the forum mods and was told that this was legitimate.
    I do not agree and want the post amended / deleted as I did not say what is being quoted here.

To anyone reading that thread it looks like that's a direct quotation, which it most certainly is not.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Solair wrote: »

I raised the issue with the forum mods and was told that this was legitimate.
    I do not agree and want the post amended / deleted as I did not say what is being quoted here.

To anyone reading that thread it looks like that's a direct quotation, which it most certainly is not.

It is legitimate and we dont see any problem with it, some forums might, but not in AH. Anyone reading it knows its not what you said.
    I suggest you do a quick search and take a look at some examples of 'FYP' to see what i mean.

To quote urbandictionary:
    "Accronym for Fixed Your Post. Use when quoting someone in a newsgroup or online forum and then add a few key words here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I would understand if it it was a case of changing a few words, but that message changed the tone, meaning and phrasing of the post!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Solair wrote: »
    I would understand if it it was a case of changing a few words, but that message changed the tone, meaning and phrasing of the post!

Which is the whole point of someone posting FYP. It is universally recognised that what has been posted is not what you posted and may in fact be a wild corruption of the original post. If we were to believe otherwise there'd be a hell of a lot of work for the Boards mods restoring quotes back to their original form. Tbh I have to agree with Keith that there is no reason to take any action because anybody reading the post will be instantly aware that the words quoted are not yours.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement