Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business returns

Options
  • 08-05-2012 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I was thinking about starting my own business in the not to distant future and there seems to be only one competitor out there already. Is there a way I can get a look at their figures through CRO so I can get an idea of the type of money they deal with?

I got their annual return from last year but it really just talks bout share capital etc and gives no indication of the turnover of the company.

What should I be loking for and is that information confidential?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭arbitrage

A privately owned company does not have to release their accounts to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Is there anything on the CRO website that I could download to give me any indication of the finances of a company?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

arbitrage wrote: »
    A privately owned company does not have to release their accounts to the public.

All limited companies must file accounts with the companies registration office. Those filings are available to the public.

Small companies can file abridged financial statements - balance sheet and notes.
    NoQuarter wrote: »
    Is there anything on the CRO website that I could download to give me any indication of the finances of a company?

You can download a copy of the company's financial statements. However, as it's probably a small company, the amount of information available will be limited, and may not be of much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

It would be a medium sized company I would say.

The choices available on CRO are:

1. return of allotments
    2. B4 AND OR TO INCREASE AUTH SHARE
    3: B1 ANNUAL RETURN
    4: Account details

I've already downloaded the latest annual return and that is the one with the shares value in it. Would any of the others be helpful before I spend money on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

NoQuarter wrote: »
    It would be a medium sized company I would say.

The choices available on CRO are:

1. return of allotments
    2. B4 AND OR TO INCREASE AUTH SHARE
    3: B1 ANNUAL RETURN
    4: Account details

I've already downloaded the latest annual return and that is the one with the shares value in it. Would any of the others be helpful before I spend money on them?

Account details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement