Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side routes into UCD

Options
  • 08-05-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey guys

Im looking to do Science in UCD but the points are fairly high now and expected to go up again

So what I want to know is there any side routes into the course like a level 7 in DIT and the transfer etc?

I need to try stay in Dublin, as you all know money is scarce and I really cannot afford to live somewhere else

Anyway
    Let me know

Thanks Joe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Joeh12 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Im looking to do Science in UCD but the points are fairly high now and expected to go up again

So what I want to know is there any side routes into the course like a level 7 in DIT and the transfer etc?

I need to try stay in Dublin, as you all know money is scarce and I really cannot afford to live somewhere else

Anyway
    Let me know

Thanks Joe

There is a side route into everything. However, Science is very general. Do you have a specific job or career in mind? Most people side step into the likes of Engineering and Medicine, not into a general course.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Engineering in UCD is just a general course as Science.
    Here is the info OP, I think that's what you're referring to. It's for doing a FETAC course straight from secondary school, and then heading into Science after that.
    This doesn't tell you what FETAC course to do, but in whichever you choose, it tells you what you need to do in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Engineering in UCD is just a general course as Science.

No, it isn't. It's a 5 year course now. Your 3 years for a BScEng and then 2 years for ME. It's not a general science degree to which I was referring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joeh12

Id love to do either zoology or environmental biology

ironclaw wrote: »
    No, it isn't. It's a 5 year course now. Your 3 years for a BScEng and then 2 years for ME. It's not a general science degree to which I was referring.
    Aye, but first year is general/undenominated in both of them - that's what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭K_1

If you want to stay in Dublin and aren't fussy about what college, DCU and Maynooth (close enough!) are easier get into for a 2nd and 3rd choice!

Aye, but they don't do Zoology or Environment Science unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Joeh12

They would still require me to get accomidation elsewhere which i can't do :L

I hatee this points system >:(

Is there any level 7 or a level 8 that i could do and then transfer into ucd in a year or 2?

You're going to have to look at other Colleges of Further Education/ITs or equivalent yourself, I don't know about individual Level 6/7 courses.
    But the info I sent you says all about what it is you need to do in them - as far as I know, they're the same standard/layout where-ever you do them.

Advertisement