Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winners

• 08-05-2012 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

What famous people or present do you admire for their winning attitude, mindset, work ethic or guile?

I admire Floyd Mayweather, Napoleon, Abraham Lincoln, Fifty Cent, Rafael Nadal, Miles Davis amongst many others.

These people possess or possessed traits which bring about success.

I believe there are several qualities winners tend to possess. They often have the ability to focus intensely on reality and see things for what they are. They become comfortable with harsh realities and make the most of it. They display a fearless attitude towards adversity, they see oppurtunities in a negative situation where others would complain or feel sorry for themselves, they dedicate themselves to their craft with hard work and enthusiasm. They see through rhetoric and find the reality of a situation.

They remain emotionally stable, not getting too down when things are bad but also not getting too excited or caught up in their success as many do while losing touch with the traits which got them their success. If they have dreams and ambitions they realise you have to get active, make some noise, bruise a few people in your path and expect others to do the same to you. It is human nature and instead of complaining you must just get better at protectin yourself.

Most people can't handle boredom. That means they can't stay on one thing until they get good at it. And they wonder why they're unhappy.

So who are winners in your eyes and what makes them winners?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Sonia O'Sullivan

Her career was very very special, so many medals, and she holds two world records and loads of nation records. She is an excellent winner, and she showed that by coming back after what happened in Atlanta and proving it.
    She also seems to be very nice, although ive never met her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

martin sheen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Ted Bundy............man, what a savage worker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Michelle Smith De Bruin

She had her goals and rules be damned, she went out and got them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭tvercetti

Larry Murphy!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Michael.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

50 cent?

What? Hahahhahaha!! No seriously what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

tvercetti wrote: »
    Larry Murphy!!!

Which Larry Murphy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭token56

People who are genuinely happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

My Dad and even more so my Ma.

cue morons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Hitler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Michael O'Leary,Michael O'Leary, and , o yeah Michael O'Leary:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

50 cent?

Wikipedia has some strange additions on his page.
    In 2005, Jackson expressed support for President George Walker Bush after rapper Kanye West criticized him for the slow response in assisting the Hurricane Katrina victims.

If his felony convictions did not prevent him from voting, he claimed he would have voted for Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Pedro Sanchez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

50 cent?

My reaction would be the same before I learned more about him.

Now that I think of it, Jedward have some winners' qualities, as much as I hate to admit it. They take bold action and are impervious to criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I really, really admire Rafael Nadal too - especially when he changes his shirt;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Eamon Coghlan, Stephen Roche, Sean Kelly, Sonia, Catherina McKiernan, Fionnuala Britton: all have won at various times. I admire them because I know how hard it is.

What made them winners? They finished first. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Jim Stynes.

Probably the greatest Irish-Australian of all-time. For someone who wasn't born in Australia to be given a state funeral speaks volumes of the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Wikipedia has some strange additions on his page.

Off topic but......

You can't vote if you're a felon? Jesus is it any wonder they're mad to convict everyone that's poor. What a f***ing sick society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Schwarzenegger!

I think I'd have to go with Christian Bale too. He's a winner. The dedication he puts into movies is incredible. Just look at him in the machinist or the fighter compared to batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Some desperate attempts at trying to be funny here

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Actually most of the winners I know are people in my life that have gone through the most horrific of traumas and still survived and how they coped and continue to cope I will never know.

But apart from them, in the public eye I really admire:

Kilkenny hurlers- showing people how it's done since what seems like forever. The talent that continues to come from Kilkenny is actually unbelievable.

Andrea Bocelli- living with such a difficulty as blindness yet achieving such success with the most beautiful voice.

Josh Groban- Cute, a gorgeous singer, really intelligent and flipping hilarious. He's just cool.

Oprah Winfrey- She wrecks my head at times, but in fairness she had achieved ridiculous amounts of success considering she came from nothing really. Really epitomises the American Dream type idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

anyone who doesn't care if someone else has more and is happy with their life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Baroness Thatcher ...

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

I think I'd have to go with Christian Bale too. He's a winner. The dedication he puts into movies is incredible. Just look at him in the machinist or the fighter compared to batman.

I think you meant to say Daniel Day Lewis.His dedication to film is beyond a statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Daniel Day-Lewis walks all over him in terms of dedication to roles.. http://www.totalfilm.com/news/first-look-at-daniel-day-lewis-s-abraham-lincoln

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭jupiterjack

rafa nadal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Charlie Sheen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Theodore Roosevelt. Its well worth reading up about the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

John Hume for his work ethic, guile and perseverance overcoming so many obstacles.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

What famous people or present do you admire for their winning attitude, mindset, work ethic or guile?

I admire Floyd Mayweather, Napoleon, Abraham Lincoln, Fifty Cent, Rafael Nadal, Miles Davis amongst many others.

These people possess or possessed traits which bring about success.

I believe there are several qualities winners tend to possess. They often have the ability to focus intensely on reality and see things for what they are. They become comfortable with harsh realities and make the most of it. They display a fearless attitude towards adversity, they see oppurtunities in a negative situation where others would complain or feel sorry for themselves, they dedicate themselves to their craft with hard work and enthusiasm. They see through rhetoric and find the reality of a situation.

They remain emotionally stable, not getting too down when things are bad but also not getting too excited or caught up in their success as many do while losing touch with the traits which got them their success. If they have dreams and ambitions they realise you have to get active, make some noise, bruise a few people in your path and expect others to do the same to you. It is human nature and instead of complaining you must just get better at protectin yourself.

Most people can't handle boredom. That means they can't stay on one thing until they get good at it. And they wonder why they're unhappy.

So who are winners in your eyes and what makes them winners?

His girlfriend/wife could tell us all about that:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Napoleon,
    They remain emotionally stable, not getting too down when things are bad but also not getting too excited or caught up in their success
    I really don't know where to start on this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Since when did we become Americans categorising people as "winners " and by extension that some are "losers"? ugh... what does that mean anyway? hate those terms, pitting people against each other as if life was a bloody competition.
    Sorry, pet peeve of mine :)

I admire people who try to bring about positive social, political, cultural, civil and scientific change in this world and who work to further the advancement of the human race and those who campaign for the rights of others-people like Wangari Maathai, Camila Vallejo, Aayan Hirsi Ali, John Seymour, Charles Darwin, Alexander Fleming, to mention a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Jack Nicklaus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

My Dad and even more so my Ma.
    yeah .... yore ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

me :cool:

and lance armstrong

Napoleon,
    They remain emotionally stable, not getting too down when things are bad but also not getting too excited or caught up in their success
    I really don't know where to start on this one

Napoleons was a winner for most his life then near the end he became soft and lost his principles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

What Greentopia said.

Greentopia wrote: »
    Since when did we become Americans categorising people as "winners " and by extension that some are "losers"? ugh... what does that mean anyway? hate those terms, pitting people against each other as if life was a bloody competition.
    Sorry, pet peeve of mine :)

I admire people who try to bring about positive social, political, cultural, civil and scientific change in this world and who work to further the advancement of the human race and those who campaign for the rights of others-people like Wangari Maathai, Camila Vallejo, Aayan Hirsi Ali, John Seymour, Charles Darwin, Alexander Fleming, to mention a few.

Forget about Americans. The fact of the matter is some people have traits that make them much more likely to succeed at their chosen field. Some people have a winning attitude where they find opportunity in a negative circumstance where others would feel sorry for themselves.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Greentopia wrote: »
    I admire people who try to bring about positive social, political, cultural, civil and scientific change in this world and who work to further the advancement of the human race and those who campaign for the rights of others-people like ... Alexander Fleming, to mention a few.
    He was almost incidental in the penicillin story

http://inventors.about.com/od/pstartinventions/a/Penicillin.htm
    Originally noticed by a French medical student, Ernest Duchesne, in 1896. Penicillin was re-discovered by bacteriologist Alexander Fleming working at St. Mary's Hospital in London in 1928

http://www.ox.ac.uk/research/medical_sciences/projects/penicillin.html
    It was Alexander Fleming at St Mary’s Hospital Medical School who noticed a mould growing on a culture plate of bacteria one day in September 1928. Around the Penicillium notatum mould was a clear area where the colonies of bacteria appeared to have been dissolved. Fleming set about establishing the identity of the substance that was killing the bacteria, giving it the name ‘penicillin’. But Fleming only continued to study penicillin for a year or so, and he never got to the stage of purifying and testing its effects against bacterial infections when injected into a living animal or patient.

Howard Florey became Professor of Pathology at Oxford in 1935, moving into a splendid new department, the Sir William Dunn School of Pathology. Florey quickly recruited Ernst Chain to work with him, and they began to look at a range of substances that might have an effect on bacteria.
    So the real story of Penicillin starts six years after Flemming. Pity the original guys didn't patent it first.

Napoleons was a winner for most his life then near the end he became soft and lost his principles.
    Egypt, Portugal, Russia, Royal Navy, America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Burky126 wrote: »
    I think you meant to say Daniel Day Lewis.His dedication to film is beyond a statement.
    Daniel Day-Lewis walks all over him in terms of dedication to roles.. http://www.totalfilm.com/news/first-look-at-daniel-day-lewis-s-abraham-lincoln

Pfft. Gary Sinise had his legs amputated for this one movie. Now that's "dedication".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

It's gotta be Charlie Sheen , doesn't it ?

Doesn't give a F**K about anyone else or what anyone thinks.
    He's always high or on a good buzz
    endless amount of coke & hookers.

do I need to continue here, I think not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Ted Bundy............man, what a savage worker.

Don't forget 4 touchdowns in 1 game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Chavways wrote: »
    Hitler

Would Hitler have ever walked out on Germany?

I don't think so........?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

No one's mentioned Roy Keane?

For his winning attitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Joe Montana
    Pat Spillane
    Jimmy Barry-Murphy
    Phil Neal
    The Klitschko brothers
    Ryan Giggs
    Jose Mourinho