Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winners

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Valentino Rossi - Motorcycle Racer

Has won every racing class he has ever entered.

Has multiple world championships under his belt.

Has a cult following who loves him for his sense of theatrics, and hard aggressive riding.

He is THE DADDY when it comes to motorcycle sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Golfer Ben Hogan, a hard case from Texas.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Hogan

Witnessed his father shoot himself in the chest as a 9 year old, resulting in an introspective personality and incredibly determined individual, initially a rubbish touring pro with a terrible hook, dug his swing out of the dirt , inventing practice and defining the modern pro game, became renowned as the greatest ball striker of all time, dominated the game despite being labelled Bantam Ben due to his size, almost killed in a car crash after the war (coming back to win the US Open 18 months later), won 9 majors in all, more if he played in more than one British Open (which he also won) and the PGA wasn't a matchplay event at the time, collaborated on one of the definitive instruction manuals for the game, developed his own equipment manufacturing company all the while remaining incredibly modest and respectful to people and the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have to give props to 50pence for the vitamin water thing, ship the loots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Cassidy28

Jason Plato - British touring car racing driver,and on fifth gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Jan III Sobieski.

Seriously, if it weren't for him we would all be praying 5 times a day and trying to put up with 5 wives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Justin Bieber has had a tough auld life.

But with his huge financial backing and average recording voice he has persevered to become one of the most forgettable artists of the 21st century. Bravo young man, bravo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Can't believe I forgot Jose Mourinho, possibly the best manager of any field ever.

He has an uncanny ability at seeing true cause and effect, something which is often very difficult to accurately determine.

Another quality I believe many winners have is the deeply internalised understanding that they will die one day.

Fortune favours the bold, people are often too cautious and conservative, many people advised Obama to wait another four years before running for president. If he had done that the opportunity could have passed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I admire Floyd Mayweather,

They often have the ability to focus intensely on reality and see things for what they are. They become comfortable with harsh realities and make the most of it.
    While Mayweather is a great boxer he seems like he lives in a delusional land of self admiration. That may be a side effect of having to believe you'll always win in fighting but I don't think Floyd in particular focuses intensely on reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Forget about Americans. The fact of the matter is some people have traits that make them much more likely to succeed at their chosen field. Some people have a winning attitude where they find opportunity in a negative circumstance where others would feel sorry for themselves.

I would call that having a positive mental attitude and having self-belief, not a "winning" attitude. That word just sets my teeth on edge as it is such an American value. There's no getting away from that. It signifies a competitive dog-eat-dog attitude where you must be seen to be a winner in life (and the values of "winning" are of course status, money, power, bigger car, bigger house, having more 'stuff' than the next guy). None of the things which really matter which give any real qualitative value, depth or meaning in life.

If you say some people have a winning attitude then you in effect state that others must have a losing or loser attitude, and I think to categorise someone as such is mean and implies that the 'loser' (by the meritocratic values of the U.S.) only has him/herself to blame if they fail to be a winner by society's standards. That assumes that everyone is born equal and has equal opportunities to succeed in life because we live in a great meritocracy. That is not the case. Neither in the U.S. nor here.

I hate that those words have seeped into public consciousness and discourse here. Ten years ago I never heard anyone in this country call someone a winner or loser, now I hear it more and more and it makes me sad.

Oh and just in case you think I'm saying this because I'm a 'loser' in life-I'm not, not by my value system anyway. I love my life for the most part-not because of the things I have or for reasons of status or wealth but because I love my job as it is creative work I find fulfilling, gives me a living wage, and crucially-work that is under my own control. I have some good friends I can trust and rely on, and a loving mother. Oh and I have money left over when my bills are paid for a few Guinness now and again.
    You know, all the important stuff. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

'that ralph wigam boy'

He was almost incidental in the penicillin story...so the real story of Penicillin starts six years after Flemming. Pity the original guys didn't patent it first.

Yes I heard that! and what about poor Norman Heatley? another name who many people have never heard of but a scientist who also played a crucial role in it's development. No Nobel prize for him yet if it wasn't for his work none of the others would likely have succeeded.

So yes, I should indeed have stated those names you mentioned and not just Fleming, but I wrote his name because that's the one people most associate with the development of penicillin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Georges St Peirre

Greentopia wrote: »
    Forget about Americans. The fact of the matter is some people have traits that make them much more likely to succeed at their chosen field. Some people have a winning attitude where they find opportunity in a negative circumstance where others would feel sorry for themselves.

I would call that having a positive mental attitude and having self-belief, not a "winning" attitude. That word just sets my teeth on edge as it is such an American value. There's no getting away from that. It signifies a competitive dog-eat-dog attitude where you must be seen to be a winner in life (and the values of "winning" are of course status, money, power, bigger car, bigger house, having more 'stuff' than the next guy). None of the things which really matter which give any real qualitative value, depth or meaning in life.

If you say some people have a winning attitude then you in effect state that others must have a losing or loser attitude, and I think to categorise someone as such is mean and implies that the 'loser' (by the meritocratic values of the U.S.) only has him/herself to blame if they fail to be a winner by society's standards. That assumes that everyone is born equal and has equal opportunities to succeed in life because we live in a great meritocracy. That is not the case. Neither in the U.S. nor here.

I hate that those words have seeped into public consciousness and discourse here. Ten years ago I never heard anyone in this country call someone a winner or loser, now I hear it more and more and it makes me sad.

Oh and just in case you think I'm saying this because I'm a 'loser' in life-I'm not, not by my value system anyway. I love my life for the most part-not because of the things I have or for reasons of status or wealth but because I love my job as it is creative work I find fulfilling, gives me a living wage, and crucially-work that is under my own control. I have some good friends I can trust and rely on, and a loving mother. Oh and I have money left over when my bills are paid for a few Guinness now and again.
    You know, all the important stuff. ;)

I think the term " winning attitude" is appropriate. Some people just find a way to succeed even in bad circumstances. These are people who get results and don't give excuses. I don't think I specifically said winners earn lots of money. I think winners are happy and find it easier than most to get what they want, be it inner peace, material goods or an attractive partner.

ScumLord wrote: »

I admire Floyd Mayweather,

They often have the ability to focus intensely on reality and see things for what they are. They become comfortable with harsh realities and make the most of it.
    While Mayweather is a great boxer he seems like he lives in a delusional land of self admiration. That may be a side effect of having to believe you'll always win in fighting but I don't think Floyd in particular focuses intensely on reality.

Yea because he knows acting like that increases his pay per view figures, he's the highest paid athlete on the planet. He took control by dropping his previous promotions company and now promotes himself, he's implenented a model that makes him filthy rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Even tho he ended up losing his arm, Aron Ralston.

I think the term " winning attitude" is appropriate. Some people just find a way to succeed even in bad circumstances.

Sure they do but to characterise them as "winners" is a misnomer I feel. What you're talking about is just plain dogged determination and self belief in the face of adversity. Why call it a "winning" attitude? what exactly are they winning?
    These are people who get results and don't give excuses. I don't think I specifically said winners earn lots of money.

I know you didn't, but when that term is used (as you have) the meaning is understood as those who earn lots of money, do whatever it takes to get ahead and climb the career ladder, and have status and power.
    I think winners are happy and find it easier than most to get what they want, be it inner peace, material goods or an attractive partner.

Happy by what measure and what evidence do you have to support your opinion? and if you use the term winner by the common understanding of the word nowadays then you only have to open a newspaper or magazine at the celebrity and gossip pages to see examples of "winners" who are anything but happy despite having all the material goods in the world and any number of attractive partners on the go. And I'm not a "winner" by many people's standards but I have a measure of inner peace. The two are not necessarily or inextricably linked.
    Again, depends what you mean by "winners".

Happiness and fulfilment on a personal level can be achieved also by other means outside of self-advancement and the solipsistic I hope you'll agree -helping and caring for others, devoting ones life to whatever belief system or god one believes in (as uncomprehending and incredulous as this unbeliever may feel that is!), environmental work, to name but a few examples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Phil Taylor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Senna. There was just something about the way he went about winning that I loved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,463 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone who makes me laugh. We need to laugh with all the bad news that's going around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Pablo Escobar...

That man made so much money he spend a couple of grand a week on rubber bands to wrap his money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Someone I know, he's a psychopath with the God syndrome. Not a killer psychopath, just the business version. He will get rich but will leave a lot of bodies in his wake, probably including mine. But I'm along for the ride to see where it goes.

I tell him he has a pact with the devil because things always work out for him. But that's no coincidence because he places himself perfectly for the opportunity.

He likes me right now because I'm useful to him. But as soon as I stop being useful. He will cut me off without a moment's pause.

It will be a hell of a ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The Kilkenny hurling team, simply legends, have been in 12 of the last 14 all Ireland finals and since 2000 have won 8 of them and lost 2.
    They are so succesful and they have really spoiled us by winning so much, we just love them as they give everything and have brought us so much enjoyment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Anyone who struts around fucking people in the ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I'm gonna say Vince McMahon. He took professional wrestling to a whole new level wit what he has done wit the WWF/WWE over the years. He made house hold names out of the likes of The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin. And of course made a nice few million dollars for himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Min wrote: »
    The Kilkenny hurling team, simply legends, have been in 12 of the last 14 all Ireland finals and since 2000 have won 8 of them and lost 2.
    They are so succesful and they have really spoiled us by winning so much, we just love them as they give everything and have brought us so much enjoyment.
    I'm sorry but that just proves how rubbish all the other GAA hurling teams are. It just proves that Kilkenny is better organised than all the others. Kilkenny has no more or less talent than any other county. With better organisation almost any county would provide a team to beat them. But all credit to the Kilkenny management. Clearly they know what's required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

xflyer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but that just proves how rubbish all the other GAA hurling teams are. It just proves that Kilkenny is better organised than all the others. Kilkenny has no more or less talent than any other county. With better organisation almost any county would provide a team to beat them. But all credit to the Kilkenny management. Clearly they know what's required.

I am happy you called the orther like Tipperary rubbish :p

I remember after 2011 hearing some say they would be starting their own bid for five in a row :pac:

But this topic is about winners...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I'm a bit biased but the Kilkenny hurling team. Clare Lomas the woman who finished a marathon recently whilst being in a bionic suit definitely comes to mind. Many would give up on life in her predicament but she's such an inspiration. My sisters are also winners in my eyes because even though they were only teenagers losing our parents they have gotten on with their lives with such grace. Our parents would be so proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

xflyer wrote: »

There were times they got wrote off and came back, they just are always there, bit like Kerry in Gaelic or Manchester United in soccer, Liverpool in the 70/80's.

Tyrone in Gaelic are exceptional to me, faced the loss of Cormac McAnallen and a young minor star that many played with and came back, plus they just beat Kerry, even when wrote off. Love when Donegal (rare enough) or somebody else beats them but they just keep coming back, raising their game in the process.

Harrington in Golf, not the most talented in Golf but through pure self perseverance got to the top.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

Shavarsh Karapetyan

This guy. Only found out about him the other day.

17 time world champion, 11 time world record holder and 13 time European champion. However his greatest day came on the 16 of September 1976.
    On that day, training with his brother Kamo, also a finswimmer, by running alongside the Yerevan Lake, Karapetyan had just completed his usual distance of 20 km (12 mi) when he heard the sound of the crash and saw the sinking trolleybus which had gone out of control and fallen from the dam wall.

The trolleybus lay at the bottom of the reservoir some 25 metres (80 ft) offshore at a depth of 10 metres (33 ft). Karapetyan swam to it and, despite conditions of almost zero visibility, due to the silt rising from the bottom, broke the back window with his legs. The trolleybus was crowded, it carried 92 passengers and Karapetyan knew he had little time, spending some 30 to 35 seconds for each person he saved.

Karapetyan managed to rescue 20 people (he picked up more, but only 20 survived), but this ended his sports career: the combined effect of cold water and the multiple wounds he received (scratched by glass), left him unconscious for 45 days. Subsequent sepsis, due to the presence of raw sewage in the lake water, and lung complications preventing him from continuing his sports career.

This guy is a hero. I'm a sports nut but what this guy did transcends any 'winning' in a sporting arena. This guy wins at life. And that my friends is the best form of winner there is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement