Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to do Arts

Options
  • 08-05-2012 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭

Which is the best college for Arts in Ireland and why?

Edit: Okay maybe I should elaborate... Here are the colleges I've looked into and what I think are the pros and cons (that I've thought of so far) of doing Arts in each:

NUIG
    Pros: Fantastic subject choice
    Cons:

UCD
    Cons: Only two subjects in first year. (I might be wrong on that but I think it's what it said in the prospectus.)

DCU
    Pros:
    Cons: I'm honestly just completely confused by the subject layout on the website. Are the subjects way different to every other college or what?

UL
    Pros:
    Cons: Poor subject choice.

I haven't looked into any others yet, but as you can see, subject choice is my priority, as well as just how good the course is in general (although that's pretty hard to measure). Another important thing is that I'd be studying French if I did Arts, and probably one or two other languages and/or English.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 i90yb8jtdchuwe

Hi Togepi,
    Glad to see NUIG is on your list! I'm just finishing up my Arts degree in English and Political Science and Sociology and honestly I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in NUIG, and I really think it's a great college to experience both the academic and social aspects of going to college. There's a great subject choice and there's room to try out all of the subjects you're interested in in first year so I really would recommend NUIG for your BA! If you have any questions don't hesitate to send me a message :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I reckon NUIM has the best arts degree in Ireland (just regards to choice) and after that I'd put NUIG.

But I reckon NUIG is a nicer college. Better socs and clubs. Although NUIM has a great atmosphere I thought NUIG was acc better when I went up on the opening day, but really that's just my opinion.

Not a fan of the UCD arts course myself. Doesn't let you take psychology in second year if you do really well (but if you are in the top 30 in NUIM you go into denom and the top 15 in NUIG do denom and the top 125ish can do psych studies). I think UCD have a great subject choice and the college is lovely but it's distance and the lack of psych are my main reasons for not putting it down. Also everyone I know who went there last year for arts dropped out. :o They were a shower of wasters though.

So really I think it depends on what subject you think you'd be interested in. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Togepi wrote: »
    UCD
    Cons: Only two subjects in first year. (I might be wrong on that but I think it's what it said in the prospectus.)

You would have quite a bit of difficulty attempting to do just two in first year. The standard in UCD is to do 3-4. After first year you choose only between 1-2.

Not a fan of the UCD arts course myself. Doesn't let you take psychology in second year if you do really well (but if you are in the top 30 in NUIM you go into denom and the top 15 in NUIG do denom and the top 125ish can do psych studies).

AFAIK it allows you to take it as a minor after first year if undenominated entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Sorry I don't realise you could do more than two subjects in UCD's first year of Arts. Can you not do psychology if you get a certain percent or higher? That seems to be the norm with most places.

• Advertisement

Sorry I don't realise you could do more than two subjects in UCD's first year of Arts. Can you not do psychology if you get a certain percent or higher? That seems to be the norm with most places.

You pretty much have to do more than two subjects in first year. :D

You just specify two on the CAO to ensure you get spaces in those subjects (but you can drop them if you really want).

Psychology is odd if you do not specify single subject on the CAO (which will need different points than Arts omnibus). If you are really keen on psychology you might want to contact the UCD Arts Programme office for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I see UCC isn't on the list... :O

I did French and English there.

Just in case you're interested...

The English department isn't the most hands on. Some fantastic lecturers (notably Andrew King and Graham Allen) and great courses but they don't hold your hand. You're on your own and it can be hard to make friends as the classes are usually huge!

French was much better for making friends. Small classes, good lecturers and the option of erasmus for a year in France in third year.

A really great college. It manages to strike an almost perfect balance between the academic and social aspects (and it is Ireland's only five star university).

Also, it's in Cork... so brilliant night-life within walking distance and student houses are very near to the college so it defo feels like a college community.

You do 4 subjects in first year and then drop two. You've a really good selection of subjects to choose from.

I'm in Dublin now doing a Master's and the night-life, while good, is very different and not as student-based. It doesn't feel like a community and it's a very different university life. Just my two cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Thanks for that ViveLaVie! Very interested in French, and possibly English too. The only reason I hadn't UCC on the list was because it's so far away! Seems to be a fantastic college from what I've heard, but the distance just puts me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

With Arts in UL there is roughly 60ish so its easy to get to know people and also there is co-op placement in 2nd year which isnt offered with Arts in other colleges I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

It depends on your choices.
    For me (wanting to do psychology) NUIG and UL are the only options.
    I reckon NUIG is the best for Arts though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 music888

I did arts in UCD a few years and found it good enough!! Really depends on your subject choices. If you want psychology you'd be better applying for pure pysychology on the CAO as only very few people that choose it as a subject through arts get to do it in 2nd year. Only problem with that is it's more points!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FunnyUserName

Can anybody tell me what the whole full-time/part-time arts course in UCD is all about? Is it just mature students that do part time or what's the story there? I'm a bit confused!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Not sure, but there are plenty of matures in the full time anyway.

Neeson wrote: »
    Not sure, but there are plenty of matures in the full time anyway.

Thanks :) I'm presuming if I have full time down I'd finish my course in a shorter space of time? GAH! so confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spacecookie555

Which is the best college for Arts in Ireland and why?

Edit: Okay maybe I should elaborate... Here are the colleges I've looked into and what I think are the pros and cons (that I've thought of so far) of doing Arts in each:

NUIG
    Cons:

UCD

DCU
    Pros:
    Cons: I'm honestly just completely confused by the subject layout on the website. Are the subjects way different to every other college or what?

UL
    Pros:
    Cons: Poor subject choice.

I haven't looked into any others yet, but as you can see, subject choice is my priority, as well as just how good the course is in general (although that's pretty hard to measure). Another important thing is that I'd be studying French if I did Arts, and probably one or two other languages and/or English.

Hey OP I did Arts in NUI Maynooth and it was amazing, such a choice and fantastic lecturers, you should check it out :)

Can anybody tell me what the whole full-time/part-time arts course in UCD is all about? Is it just mature students that do part time or what's the story there? I'm a bit confused!

Mature students are more likely to do p/t due to lower points and more flexibility around work; but afaik there's nothing specifically designed for mature students in the course. In particular the day p/t is exactly the same as the full time course! :D That is, that day p/t and day full time students both go to the same lectures, tutorials, exams, etc.

Even evening p/t students might go to the same lectures as day students if there are no evening lectures in particular subjects.

I am not 100% sure about this now, so do not go just on what I say; but from what I know about p/t Arts you can do almost as much or as little of it as you like (even as much as full time!). However, it might be charged at full fee rate per module. Also, there is the possibility of the p/t being somewhat whittled down soon (the evening p/t course certainly is). As usual if you want definitive answers you should contact the Arts Programme Office.

Thanks...that was really helpful!

Thanks...that was really helpful!

Just one thing: it now seems that CAO points for arts p/t and f/t are exactly the same now. That would really mean that there is not much point in doing the p/t course unless you are looking for flexible hours. :pac:

https://myucd.ucd.ie/program.do?programID=90

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Emily van Dickinson

Heya...just finished first arts in NUIG-found the french department great! Staff are very helpful and lectures/grammar classes are well structured...only subject that gave me the chance to make friends as the classes were small! If you have any bá at all for Gaeilge there is an option to do French through Irish; the teacher is BRILLIANT..!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Hey all, slightly off topic but ye seem to know ye're stuff!
    I have Arts down second on my CAO, im hoping to to psychology but if I dont get the points I'll do it through Arts. So I'm just wondering, when do you actually pick the subjects you want to do??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 music888

Hey all, slightly off topic but ye seem to know ye're stuff!
    I have Arts down second on my CAO, im hoping to to psychology but if I dont get the points I'll do it through Arts. So I'm just wondering, when do you actually pick the subjects you want to do??

Is it UCD you have down? If it is it's when you register that you pick which is usually the end of August/beginning of September. It's first come first served with subjects and psychology is very popular so make sure you register early!

WARNING:If you do psychology through arts in UCD you are not guaranteed to get a place in second and third year either.

Neeson wrote: »
    WARNING:If you do psychology through arts in UCD you are not guaranteed to get a place in second and third year either.

You mean through Arts Omnibus - right?

I'd say so, something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Why isn't NUI Maynooth on your list?

They are (as far as I'm aware) the only college that lets you change our choice of arts subjects in the first few weeks. I know with others like UCD you need to pick 2 subjects on the CAO which can be a bit of a pain.

The lecturers are also really friendly in most subjects, and will be appy to shake your hand/ talk with you about anything your unsure of.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭NellyDean

Tell me more about French through Irish? were you already fluent ? :)

Advertisement