Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Advice on Camera Price

• 08-05-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys, I have a Nikon EM from 1980ish, and a Nikon Series E 50mm f1/8 Lens. I dont know a thing about about cameras, and I am trying to find out what this camera is actually worth.

I have done some research online and depending on what website I look at i am getting from €30 - €200 for the camera and €50 - €300 for the lense. Does anybody have any clue how much they are actually worth??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Neither is worth much of anything. Film cameras are barely used these days, and the ones that are tend to be medium or large format - I can't remember the last time I saw someone shooting 35mm. The 50mm 1.8 is a very common/popular lens but modern ones have autofocus. I've got an E series sitting in a drawer and never use it, though I might some day for video, as the ring has a fairly smooth mechanism.

You might get a few bob but don't expect anything huge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Contrary to above, there are a few who are still shooting 35mm but not too many.

You can search eBay for finished sales and it will give you an idea. My guess would be the lower end of the values you quoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

You'll be lucky to sell the EM at all I'd say. It was the bastard step child of the nikon range, cheaply made and priced low to get into the lower end of the market. Doesn't even have any manual control IIRC. With thousands of and FMs and FEs on the market the EM is a hard sell nowadays.

The series E nikon lenses (never to be called Nikkors :eek:) were the cheap end of the lens range, created for the lower end cameras like the EM. They've probably held up a little better, but again there are millions of them around and there are cheap better lenses readily available.

Stick it up on adverts as a complete kit for €75 and you might get a sale at around the €50 mark.

Advertisement