Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Loan / Finance or Pay Cash?

Options
  • 08-05-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at getting a used car at the moment somewhere in the region of 5~15k and I'm just wondering if theres any benefit to getting a loan (car or personal)/financing of some kind or would I be better off just paying cash for it out of my savings?

I suppose the way I'm thinking is: Am I better off having that extra few thousand in the bank as a bit of security should things go downhill? Or is there any actual benefit to borrowing for it? Obviously I realise I’ll end up paying more should I borrow for it but I suppose I'm wondering if having some sort of history of being able to pay back a loan could be beneficial in a few years should I go for a mortgage, that kind of thing.

In case its relevant, I'm self-employed so should things go bad I wouldnt have any redundancy or dole to speak of which is why I’m sort of thinking that having money sitting in the bank might better situation.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The financially prudent answer is to pay from your savings, you are earning 4% on those, and paying 14% on a loan.

However in your situation, I would leave some savings intact, perhaps pay 50% cash, raise 50% loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RoverZT

You don't need to spend 5-15k on a car.

You can get something very reliable easily for 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

The financially prudent answer is to pay from your savings, you are earning 4% on those, and paying 14% on a loan.

However in your situation, I would leave some savings intact, perhaps pay 50% cash, raise 50% loan.
    Yeah thats probably the best idea alright to split between the two. On a slightly related note - whos giving 4%? I've my money in Rabo and they only give 3.1% on the first 20k then down to 2.4% after that. Should probably move it if theres better :D
    RoverZT wrote: »
    You don't need to spend 5-15k on a car.

You can get something very reliable easily for 2k.
    True but I like a bit of luxury from time to time :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

PTSB Regular Saver
    EBS Family Saver
    Ulster Bank Special Interest Deposit Account

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks, will look into those :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Pay in cash if you have it. Why pay interest if you needn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would keep a few thousand in savings for a rainy day and use remaining savings to pay in cash for car. If you need a bit more funds get a personal loan for it, do not get fund on finance as secured on car and lot more hassle if you get in trouble paying it which I am sure you wont.

Advertisement