Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adverts with sound

Options
  • 08-05-2012 8:31pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it intentional that the ads have started playing sound/ music/ talking at us now? Really doesn't work with any kind of attempt at being discrete about using boards in work if the PC is going to start playing audio adverts at me unexpectedly.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't know that there should be ones with sound?
    If you have one, click it and send the URL to Boards.ie:Nicola and she can look into it / let the media guys know if it needs to be blocked.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This came up before and it was to do with google ads serving audio enabled ads to people in the USA, I believe our resident stateside correspondent, Overheal,was the amongst the few affected by it - that was before he found adblock and got banned.. :D

As SP said, copy the URL and send it to Nicola. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

robinph wrote: »
    Is it intentional that the ads have started playing sound/ music/ talking at us now? Really doesn't work with any kind of attempt at being discrete about using boards in work if the PC is going to start playing audio adverts at me unexpectedly.

I'm fairly sure only adverts that require user interaction before playing audio/video at users are allowed. As suggested, copy the URL for the ad and send it on to Nicola :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Could be my being in the UK that is doing it then. Just started yesterday and took me by surprise but was convinced that it wouldn't be boards as I went through killing of browser windows.

I'll try and catch which ads are doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Im also in the UK and now get adds with sound.. Very annoying, I know websites need adds but is putting me off this forum..

It just screams money grabbing basterds to me..

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »
    Im also in the UK and now get adds with sound.. Very annoying, I know websites need adds but is putting me off this forum..

As mentioned previously in the thread, if you see any, pass the URLs onto Boards.ie:Nicola and she can look into them / get them blocked if necessary.
    They don't want really irritating ads anymore than we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

afatbollix wrote: »

It just screams money grabbing basterds to me..

I don't get why people have a problem with an internet site making money when they get the use the site for free.

Besides, that specific ad just got through the net, it's not intentional.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't get why people have a problem with an internet site making money when they get the use the site for free.

Besides, that specific ad just got through the net, it's not intentional.
    Yeah but what's the ad?

G'wan, name and shame, my curiosity gland is on fire!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

No clue, I don't get it, but it's just not an ad that they are trying to put on. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After getting it several times in the one day I've not had it happen again so far. If it happens again I'll no where to look for the source of the noise and grab the culprit.

People only have a problem with ads when they force themselves on you in an unexpected/ annoying way. That's why pop-ups don't happen anymore in most cases, guess that ones playing sounds are a replacement for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I just got a Vodafone ad with sound when I posted. I didn't get a url but I will if it happens again. I'm in Ireland so it's not because I'm in the UK or the USA and I didn't go anywhere near the ad so I didn't interact with it. Pretty annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Got another vodafone one today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Got another vodafone one today.

No use in telling Boards you "got one". Grab the URL/clickthrough link and post it up here so Nicola can nuke it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I *really* need the URLs so I can get it looked into-we're as keen on the idea of audible ads as you guys so next time you spot one, right click and drop me a PM please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I right clicked it but stuff about flash settings came up, no sign of a visible url. I'll have another look next time

I right clicked it but stuff about flash settings came up, no sign of a visible url. I'll have another look next time

If you actually click the link and copy the URL from the URL bar in the new tab/window you can send that on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

This is the one I got today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just got one again there (was keeping an eye out as it's happened me a few times lately)

On this page: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056640866&page=17

It's the Vodafone ad, and seems to be happening on mouseover (no clicking involved, my mouse just happened to wander over that part of the screen). It was an ad for Vodafone, about Avoca.

Thoie wrote: »

You need the URL of the advert itself, because it won't always show for everyone, so if the guys have the exact link of the advert it's straight forward to get a block put on it.

star-pants wrote: »
    You need the URL of the advert itself, because it won't always show for everyone, so if the guys have the exact link of the advert it's straight forward to get a block put on it.

I've just hit refresh 100 times and the fecking thing hasn't turned up again. However, I feel a psychic tingling that I need to buy a bike, using a prepaid credit card, and take it on holidays with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

http://www.vodafone.ie/businessideas/

I just got the James Whelan one.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I keep getting this ad too. Same link as above. Its annoying as hell. I keep accidentally moving the cursor over it as I go to scroll down the page and setting it off. I fcuking hate Vodafone now!

Just got the Vodafone one again (Avoca) which brought me to http://www.vodafone.ie/businessideas/ when I clicked it.

It definitely starts playing when you mouseover it (as user above said, very easy to do when scrolling down).

I'd already moved away from Vodafone, but if I hadn't, I'd leave just because of this. Drives me demented.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I just got a pop-up advert for a Samsung smart TV with a little interactive hand thingy. Boards was the only thing I had open at the time.

I just got a pop-up advert for a Samsung smart TV with a little interactive hand thingy. Boards was the only thing I had open at the time.

A pop up? That's definitely not from us-we don't permit any ads like that.

With regards to the Vodafone ad, I've sent it onto our traffic manager-hopefully I'll have an update soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I also had that. I was viewing a thread on wrestling forum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I also had that. I was viewing a thread on wrestling forum

I can't remember what thread I was viewing, it wasn't wrestling though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm reminded of a Usenet sig back in the way back when: "If I wanted your website to make noise, I would have licked my finger and rubbed the screen!"

Hmm ok, next time anyone spots the pop up take a screen grab and either post it here or email it to me.

• Advertisement

Just got Vodafone "Avoca" again. I think it's following me around.

Advertisement