Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power efficient nvidia graphics card

Options
  • 08-05-2012 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

I made an order with hardwareversand on friday but the graphic card (HIS HD 7850) that was due to arrive today has "delivery date, new shipment request" so I was thinking of chaning it for another.

Anyways as I said in the thread for my build the only game I will be playing is gonna be diablo 3. I think the 7850 is probably overkill but I really like the low power consumption of it (as I will rarely be using it).

I have been reading about graphics card and alot of people seem to agree that a Nvidia graphics card would work better with Diablo and blizzard games. Just wondering if anyone could recommend a graphics card that
    • Is very low powered (pref same or less than 7850) as I like to have a really efficient machine I can leave on all the time and use very little power
    • Can run diablo 3 comfortably at ultra settings

Thanks a million! :)

edit: meant to say energy efficient in the title sorry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Nvidia's only cards around that price range are old-gen (560ti) and they guzzle much more power than the 7850. If you think its overkill drop down to a 6870/6850 or for really good efficiency a 7770 (with a little sacrifice on performance)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭hevsuit

I wouldn't get worried too much about power consumption when just using your PC for casual gaming. When the card isn't working hard it won't use a alot of power. Drivers are pretty well behaved these days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Thanks alot eboggles,
    Yeah I was thinking there were little or no nvidias at that price range which was surprising to me. Alot of the nvidias seem to be overclocks of overclocks and big fuel guzzlers too.
    Will have a look at them now, cheers:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Not a huge amount between any cards at idle, except that the current generation of AMD are very frugal when the monitor is completely off.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5625/amd-radeon-hd-7870-ghz-edition-radeon-hd-7850-review-rounding-out-southern-islands/17

hmm that is very interesting. I was sure the 560 Ti etc were all much higher at idle.
    Not quite sure what to do now:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

settings wrote: »
    hmm that is very interesting. I was sure the 560 Ti etc were all much higher at idle.
    Not quite sure what to do now:pac:

Get a different 7850 :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If Diablo 3 is the main gaming purpose then the sweet spot is probably a 6850/6870 as Eboggles suggests, as they offer excellent price/performance at the moment.

Get a different 7850 :pac:

is the his hd 7850 not a good version? I was gonna get the sapphire but it wasnt in stock when I ordered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Get the 7850, its a good bit faster than the 6870 and draws less power.

power_peak.gif

perfrel_1920.gif

Thanks a million for great help lads.
    Gonna change from the his 7850 to the sapphire 7850. Im really happy with that! Good excuse to buy another game or two then;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement