Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 Reasons to Visit Galway

Options
  • 08-05-2012 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭

So I was sitting in Knock Airport after the long weekend at home and I bought a pen. I read Cian Hennigar's '99 Reasons to Visit Limerick' last week, and tough job though it is, I thought I'd try to do Galway the same justice.

I would love ye here what to think of my list, what you'd add or take away - here goes:

http://oracularspectacular.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/50-reasons-to-visit-galway/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Limerick 99, Galway 50......:eek:

Only joking... nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Good list, lot of thought gone into it, i could pick ones i dont agree with but sure you did a grand auld job so i'll leave it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Hahaha I was wondering who would be the first to comment on that!

50 rather than 99 was partly just a time constraint thing (that's 3,500 words as it is!), but it also would have felt a bit drawn out if it was twice as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

99 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT GALWAY

1, It's not Limerick.

Close the thread.

Paddyfield wrote: »
    99 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD VISIT GALWAY

1, It's not Limerick.

Close the thread.

We'll have to agree to disagree there, Limerick is a great city. I had four great years there in college. Guess we're lucky to be spoilt for choice as we are in our little country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The Omniplex, the bog, the N17, Madam Bridget, The Saw Doctors, The Guard (a film), Galway Bay FM, farmers, students, come on now! Galway is great but it's a piss take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

(1) Go Drinking
    (2) Go Drinking
    (3) Go Drinking
    (49) Go Drinking
    (50) Scenery Go Drinking

Shryke wrote: »
    The Omniplex, the bog, the N17, Madam Bridget, The Saw Doctors, The Guard (a film), Galway Bay FM, farmers, students, come on now! Galway is great but it's a piss take?

It's not at all.

Some of those mentioned above are meant somewhat tongue-in-cheek, some are more personal to me than general (as I mentioned), but the majority of things on this list are things Galway can be very proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Good list. So are you Harry or Kate ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Good list. So are you Harry or Kate ?

We are one!

Katie is my first name, harr is derived from my surname!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Excellent list !

I loved the Michael D. quote.

Better get working on the next 50, to out-do Stab City !

;)

Sometimes less is more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭ceannbui

jebus there are some very good reasons you've missed (or did i miss?). What about O Connells? beautiful pub, great atmosphere, wonderful beer garden, great guinness, quirky customers, a great place for daytime pints and even better for nighttime jars ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Is it Galway city or county?

I county, I'd add driving out to connemarra, heading out to the aran islands

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

not much of a list when you omit the one authentic trad and music pub in Galway - number one on lists worldwide, yet not a mention on yours.

THE CRANE BAR. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Hey... a list from the right side - that is, the east side - of the county!
    Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I was missing Galway before I read that list. Reading through it I was like oh yeah...oh yeah..this is depressing. I'd have a very different list myself I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Scrapping the barrel at times tbh... Lorraine Higgins?!

c_man wrote: »
    Scrapping the barrel at times tbh... Lorraine Higgins?!

Of all the ones on the list, it's one I wouldn't take back. Technically it's not exactly a reason to visit, but she's a fantastic role model for young girls in Galway IMHO.

As for whoever mentioned The Crane, I've never been there, surprisingly enough really.

It's a list of the people, places and things that I love in Galway - it's not meant to be definitive or universally popular - variety is the spice of life! In fact, those of you who reckon they would have included different stuff I would love to hear more.

I agree with whoever said about Connemara/Spiddal - I should have included that!

It's not meant to be perfect, it was a fun little project to undertake and I hope some of you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it :)

ceannbui wrote: »
    jebus there are some very good reasons you've missed (or did i miss?). What about O Connells? beautiful pub, great atmosphere, wonderful beer garden, great guinness, quirky customers, a great place for daytime pints and even better for nighttime jars ;)

At one point when I was writing, it seemed like it was turning into '50 pubs to visit in Galway', so I limited myself (mostly) to pubs I have a personal connection to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Nice list, like most I'd have a few different ones myself but all in all remind me of home.
    One small question did you get your bridges mixed up? I've never seen wading fishermen from the Quincentennial Bridge only from the Salmon Weir bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

traffic
    (caused by eternal roadworks)

born and bred galwegian!!!

Lorraine feckin higgins?
    I voted for change like the masses
    Labour are a joke and very dissapointed in Fine gael too!
    what was it that Eamon Gilmore said upon being quizzed by ursula halligan
    "that was just electioneering"
    Liars the lot of them
    Give me SInn Fein and independents next time around.
    Someone with a bit of liarodi!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭pepe00

buy chips in mcdonaugh, go by the river and eat them, while feeding birds and swans...sipping a guinness draought:P

pepe00 wrote: »
    buy chips in mcdonaugh, go by the river and eat them, while feeding birds and swans...sipping a guinness draought:P

Sounds like an ideal way to spend a day :)

Can't believe I missed out chips from McDonagh's, would definitely be top of the revised list!

Of all the ones on the list, it's one I wouldn't take back. Technically it's not exactly a reason to visit, but she's a fantastic role model for young girls in Galway IMHO.

As for whoever mentioned The Crane, I've never been there, surprisingly enough really.

It's a list of the people, places and things that I love in Galway - it's not meant to be definitive or universally popular - variety is the spice of life! In fact, those of you who reckon they would have included different stuff I would love to hear more.

I agree with whoever said about Connemara/Spiddal - I should have included that!

It's not meant to be perfect, it was a fun little project to undertake and I hope some of you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it :)

:eek::eek: are you FROM Galway, or just a visitor. also, hasn't Cuba been closed for the last two to three years.

Menlo
    Barna Woods
    Walking from one side of town to the other via the canals
    corrib princess
    Town Hall Theatre
    Coral Beach (although this is in connemara)
    Aran Islands
    Galway Museum
    Kicking the wall in Salthill
    griffins Bakery

and on and on and on..........

Sounds like an ideal way to spend a day :)

Can't believe I missed out chips from McDonagh's, would definitely be top of the revised list!
    Glad you missed those grease infested indegestion sticks. ;)

Menlo
    Barna Woods
    Walking from one side of town to the other via the canals
    corrib princess
    Town Hall Theatre
    Coral Beach (although this is in connemara)
    Aran Islands
    Galway Museum
    Kicking the wall in Salthill
    griffins Bakery

and on and on and on..........
    Do your own there fishy and we can all have a good nose at the work you put in then.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

St. Brigids Gardens Rosscahill. Connacht Rugby @ the Sports Ground- O'connells Bar-Spanish Arch - Bushing - An Taibharc- Powells

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Here are my top 50 reasons to visit Galway.
    (In no particular order of preference).

1, The Crane Bar
    2, Massimos
    3, The Old Forge
    4, The Blue Note
    5, Bierhaus
    6, Cottage Bar
    7, College Bar
    8, Lonergan's
    9, River Inn
    10, McAlinden's
    11, e Brún Bar
    12, Galway Arms
    13, The Dew Drop Inn
    14, Taaffe's
    15, Murphy's
    16, The Spanish Arch Bar
    17, Murty Rabbitt's
    18, An Púcán
    19, The Skeff
    20, Fox's Porterhouse
    21, The Wheel House
    22, The Quays
    23, Western Hotel Bar
    24, Richardsons
    25, Fibbers
    26, Paddy's on Prospect Hill (or whatever its called this week !)
    27, Crowe's
    28, The King's Head
    29, Ther Salt House
    30, McGuire's Bar
    31, Menlo Park
    32, Blake's Tavern
    33, Hughes's Bar
    34, Garavan's
    35, The Central Bar
    36, Goalpost
    37, McSwiggan's
    38, Cullinane's