Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Essays

• 08-05-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Are the key things that a short story needs that would differentiate from personal essays/speeches/articles because I only tried got it once and I got a B- but my teacher said it lacked use of imagery.What sort of imagery is needed in an essay.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

For a short story I think the key is descriptive language to engage the reader, make them feel the emotions the character is feeling and really immerse them in the world you're creating. Its difficult to get it exactly right - really the only way I ever caught onto it was reading a little and instantly my short story grades went from B2-B1 (with one random A1) to B1 at worst.

It takes a while to do that in a story, of course, so generally I focus more on that and the descriptions than the plot itself. A small plot well done can often be the best way to do them I find. :)

Advertisement