Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable Server for Website

Options
  • 08-05-2012 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys.
    Ok so i dont know too much about this but what would be a suitable server set-up for a basic 10-11 page website with paypal? I might have to self-host a website and was wondering the cost of this. I already have the broadband capabilities for it but I dont know how best to do it? Would i use a home server set-up? it will be live 24/7 (unless the power goes or something unavoidable like that). Any sugesstions???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

With hardware/power/security/maintenance costs you are better off getting a VPS or shared hosting.

Also if you are running this from your "home" broadband you are going to have a bad time.
    Paul.M92 wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Ok so i dont know too much about this but what would be a suitable server set-up for a basic 10-11 page website with paypal? I might have to self-host a website and was wondering the cost of this. I already have the broadband capabilities for it but I dont know how best to do it? Would i use a home server set-up? it will be live 24/7 (unless the power goes or something unavoidable like that). Any sugesstions???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

If your going to be selling and accepting payments I would suggest hosting wit a static IP and an unshared SSL for transaction security.
    Home broadband would not suit a home server unless you had something like a 10mb upload and the site was static with no products to download.
    This is also dependant on the amount of traffic logging on/viewing the site at any given time.
    You are setting up a business online, it's best to give potential cutomers a fast, easy to navigate safe site to give the cofidence to return and recommend.
    Setting up all of this on a home server may prove costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Hosting the site on a home server would be more hassle than its worth.

If you have to ask you probably shouldnt be doing it.

Blacknight hosting starts at 5 Euro per month
    http://www.blacknight.com/shared-hosting.html

Your broadband T&C's probably state that you cannot run a web server.

If you want to do it yourself anyway linux is a better option than windows for keeping the server up and running.

Debian is a good place to start but its a lot more complicated to get used too than Windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I used to host a website on a home line (With most of the heavy lifting being done by Amazon S3). It's not the bandwidth that's the issue as much as it is service maintenance that's the problem. Keeping a server running smoothly 24/7 isn't easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 alvaroamdo

I use vps server for my word press blog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

alvaroamdo wrote: »
    I use vps server for my word press blog.

VPS (Virtual Private Server) is hosted by many hosting companies so this does not answer the question, where do you host the VPS?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pingpipe

I would start with an account on a shared server. There are many reliable hosting providers that offer them for under 10 Euro per month, often with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. Choose a company that includes shopping cart software and a unique IP address (you will need an ssl certificate as well). As others have mentioned, it is best not to even consider hosting from your home - in addition to the hassle most ISPs won't allow it.

Good luck with your new site, let us know who you choose and how it works out.

Advertisement